|Location||The Wailing Prison, Stirk, Planar Vortex
Dark Anchors, Bangkorai Garrison
Seat of Tyranny, Heart's Grief
- 1 Related Quests
- 2 Skills and Abilities
- 3 Quest-Related Events
- 4 Dark Anchors
- 5 Cut & Deprecated Content
- 6 Notes
- 7 Bugs
- 8 Gallery
Molag Bal is the Daedric Prince of Domination and the Enslavement of Mortals. He is the main antagonist, and is attempting to pull Nirn into his realm of Oblivion, Coldharbour, in an event known as the Planemeld. Molag Bal has stolen the soul of the player, forbidding them to die. To reclaim your soul, you must save Tamriel from the Prince's clutches.
For more information, see the lore article.
- Main Quest and Coldharbour Objective:
- Soul Shriven in Coldharbour: Escape from the depths of Coldharbour.
- Shadow of Sancre Tor: Retrieve the Amulet of Kings from its hiding place.
- Council of the Five Companions: Join the Five Companions and prepare for the final confrontation with Molag Bal.
- The Weight of Three Crowns: Convince all three alliances to invade Coldharbour.
- The Final Assault: Launch an assault on the Endless Stair and destroy the Planar Vortex.
- God of Schemes: Use the power of the Amulet of Kings to defeat Molag Bal.
- Anchors from the Harbour: Find two Guild members who were investigating Dark Anchors.
- The Prismatic Core: Help the Guildmaster understand the threat to the present in the events of the past.
- Will of the Council: Enter Coldharbour and destroy the Mortuum Vivicus.
- Storming the Garrison: Help the Lion Guard and the Knights of Saint Pelin reclaim Bangkorai Garrison.
Skills and Abilities
- Fiery Death
- Molag Bal will speak to you at specific points during your climb up to the Garden of Ruin. When he speaks, he throws a massive ball of cold fire down at you, which stuns you if it hits and deals major flame damage. If any enemies are in range when it lands, they will be damaged by it; Dark Seducers who are in his line of fire will die upon impact. He does not use this during your battle against him.
- Crushing Grip
- Molag Bal crushes you in his fist during a scripted event, dealing major physical damage. This damage is mitigated by the health regen and damage reduction buff provided by the Amulet of Kings. It is possible to die during this event if you are a Stage 4 Vampire, as the passive -100% health regeneration debuff keeps your health from regenerating.
Molag Bal hits very hard in combat. Assuming you're wearing armor, the only thing keeping your health from dropping rapidly after each hit is the buff applied by the blessings administered to you during Abnur Tharn's ritual. With the power bestowed upon you by the Divines through the Amulet of Kings, you take less damage and deal more damage. Attacks that would deal major damage to you deal moderate damage because of this buff. Prior to reaching Molag Bal, he'll throw minions at you. The Seducers will go down in one or two hits from a light attack, the Daedroths typically in three, and the Titan in 5, if you're unaided by armor set bonuses. With the extra beef added by set bonuses, these enemies tend to go down in a single hit. When you block, your hands will glow with Divine light.
Molag Bal uses a combination of ranged and melee abilities during combat. He holds his eponymous mace in his left hand, leaving his right hand free to channel single-target spells. At first, he only uses two basic skills, but as the fight progresses, audio cues herald the use of new abilities.
- Fire Bolt
- Molag Bal hurls a ball of cold fire at you from his right hand, dealing moderate flame damage.
- Molag Bal hits you with his titular mace, dealing moderate physical damage. When he heavy attacks with his mace, he can apply a snare effect, reducing your movement speed.
- Vile Leap
- Molag Bal teleports away from his location in a pillar of blue light and attempts to land directly onto you. When he disappears, an AoE will begin to crawl out from the space beneath you. If you don't avoid this attack you'll be knocked down briefly. This deals moderate damage. He begins using this ability after he calls you an infant.
- Enraged Pound
- Molag Bal's mace glows blue as he raises it high, then he brings it down, knocking you off balance and dealing moderate physical damage. He always follows this ability with Flaming Scream. He only starts using this ability after he says that he "can taste your fear".
- Flaming Scream
- Molag Bal uses this ability after Enraged Pound hits. While you're stunned, Molag Bal uses considerable force to scream in your direction, knocking you back and dealing moderate flame damage.
- Summon Titans
- Molag Bal's dialogue during the fight is on a timer. When he grumbles about Tamriel being ripe, he summons four Titans and uses Vile Leap to teleport away. After 20 seconds, he lands on top of you and returns to the battle.
- Soul Burst
- Molag Bal summons five souls to his right hand, which coalesce into a mass of energy. This mass splits into three cold-fire orbs that he hurls in your direction. He begins using this ability after he claims "you will know eons of suffering". This attack deals moderate oblivion damage.
When his health falls to 10%, he is defeated.
Soul Shriven in Coldharbour
When you approach the front entrance to the Prophet's Cell after blinding one of the Sentinels, the door bursts into blue flame as a ward appears over it.
- Molag Bal: "Fool! You will never escape my realm."
- Lyris Titanborn: "Herma-Mora's wagging tongue! The door's warded. We'll never get in this way."
When you reach the Dark Anchor Mooring, Molag Bal appears and summons the Child of Bones.
- Molag Bal: "The mortal thinks it can defy me. Futile. Soon your world will be in my chains."
Shadow of Sancre Tor
Once Mannimarco is killed, his spirit will rise from his body.
- Mannimarco: "Do you really think that death can stop the most powerful necromancer Tamriel has ever known?"
- Mannimarco: "This is merely a transition! My first step towards true immortality!"
- Mannimarco: "Now witness my true power! Watch as I rise up from the grave and ascend to godhood!"
Mannimarco will begin to cast a spell, only to be interrupted.
- Molag Bal: "Worm! You think you can betray the Lord of Brutality and Domination without consequence?"
Mannimarco is blown flat on his back by a powerful force, leaving a crater in the ground. A Dark Anchors portal opens above him. Molag Bal reaches out of the portal and lifts Mannimarco into Coldharbour with a simple gesture.
- Molag Bal: "You will pay for your arrogance! You will writhe in agony for the rest of eternity! Your tortured screams will echo throughout Oblivion to serve as a warning to others!"
Anchors from the Harbour
When you enter the ruins where Doshia has taken Merric, you'll hear Molag Bal giving Doshia instructions.
- Molag Bal: "A pure soul, Doshia. Don't fail me."
Once Doshia is vanquished, Molag Bal addresses her failure with an air of disappointment.
- Molag Bal: "You have failed me, Doshia."
The Prismatic Core
At the end of the vision in Abagarlas, he takes the Mortuum Vivicus back to Coldharbour.
- Molag Bal: "Worm! You accomplish nothing. I remove the Vivicus to Coldharbour. This doom will come again to Tamriel."
He interrupts the reforging of the Prismatic Weapon in the Earth Forge:
- Molag Bal: "Fools! Do you truly think you could hide that trinket from the God of Schemes?"
He begins summoning skeletons.
- Molag Bal: "The people of Abagarlas serve me even in death! My devoted, kill them! Kill them and bring me the crystal."
When the first few skeletons are defeated, he summons Queen Palolel, who is now a lich.
- Molag Bal: "That blasphemy must not be allowed to be reforged! Bring that crystal to Coldharbour."
When all of his undead servants are defeated, he withdraws.
- Molag Bal: "Remember this day, mewling wretches. My followers serve me even in death."
Will of the Council
In the Halls of Submission, Aelif's treachery is revealed. She was a servant of Molag Bal the entire time. Molag Bal turns her into a Daedric Titan during the battle:
- Molag Bal: "A boon for my servant. Receive my power and destroy them!"
When Aelif is defeated, Molag Bal expresses his disdain over her failure to protect the Mortuum Vivicus:
- Molag Bal: "Aelif, you miserable failure! You are not worthy of my gifts!"
Storming the Garrison
After Battlemage Papus is killed in the Bangkorai Garrison crypts, Molag Bal will ominously say:
- Molag Bal: "Your Covenant cannot escape my wrath. You will see soon enough …."
Leaving the crypts will reveal that the Battlemage successfully summoned a Dark Anchors inside the garrison walls.
- Molag Bal: "Bangkorai is mine, mortal. You cannot possibly protect it."
- Molag Bal: "Your king and queen will soon be slaves in Coldharbour!"
The Weight of Three Crowns
Molag Bal reveals himself on the island of Stirk, mocking the mortals and their quarrels.
- Molag Bal: "These are the great leaders of Tamriel? Pathetic. But how convenient to have them gathered together in one place, so I can crush them like insects."
- <Countess Hakruba rushes at the projection of the Daedric Prince.>
- Countess Hakruba: "Molag Bal!"
- Vanus Galerion: "Stay back, Countess!"
- Molag Bal: "The insects fight back! How amusing, and yet so very sad."
- <The projection of Molag Bal dissipates as he summons three powerful Daedric minions to assassinate the alliance leaders.>
- Molag Bal: "All of Nirn shall be mine!"
The Final Assault
After Meridia smites a second anchor in the Planar Vortex, Molag Bal appears from behind a wall:
- Meridia: "We have to hurry! Molag Bal knows we're here!"
- Molag Bal: "I grow weary of your games, Meridia."
- Meridia: "Go, Warriors of Light! These dark chains must be broken!"
- Molag Bal: "You cannot stop me, Meridia. This realm will be mine!"
Later on, Molag Bal will be addressing his council near the Light of Meridia:
- Clorsatari: "The light approaches. It brightens the shadows. It attempts to break the darkness."
- Kehothar: "But the darkness is strong. Our father, our god—he is the darkness. He shall repel the light."
- Verkynvayl: "Our father approaches. He will consume the light. He will tear it apart. He will destroy it. He will destroy you!"
- Clorsatari: "Our father has spoken. He wishes us to challenge you and you alone."
- King Laloriaran Dynar: "What … what's going on? No!"
- Molag Bal: "You believe that light can destroy my Planemeld? Your Prince thinks I would allow this? She is more foolish than I thought."
- Clorsatari: "I live to serve. It will be my pleasure to destroy this one, my lord."
- Molag Bal: "Oh, how sad. You were drafted into a war you could never win. My council shall destroy you. I shall enjoy watching a hero die!"
Once the council is defeated, Meridia will appear with the rest of your allies:
- Molag Bal: "Most curious. This light powers you somehow. Meridia … where are you hiding?"
- Meridia: "Merely fetching those who would stand against you."
- Molag Bal: "I tire of this game. Now you shall die!"
- <Molag Bal begins hurling meteors at you. Meridia channels a golden ward to defend you from Molag Bal's magic.>
- Meridia: "Quickly, get behind my shield!"
- <Portals open up on either side of the ward, and Dremora start pouring out.>
- Molag Bal: "Did you think it would be that easy? My minions will tear you apart."
When the Light is ready to be unleashed, Meridia and Bal will yell:
- Meridia: "The light is ready! Quickly, release it!"
- Molag Bal: "No! You cannot do this! I cannot fail!"
God of Schemes
Upon entering Molag Bal's sanctum after being imbued by the power of the Divines, he will threaten you as you approach his throne, while throwing Daedra at you.
- Molag Bal: "Your continued meddling has reached an end, Hero of Tamriel!"
- Molag Bal: "What is this foolishness? Has your tiny mortal mind snapped? Do you really think you can defeat me?"
- Molag Bal: "The dark machinations of Oblivion are far more complex than anything your mortal senses can comprehend."
- Molag Bal: "Your anguish will be legendary, even in Oblivion!"
- Molag Bal: "Still you fight on? Do you care nothing for your own existence?"
Once you reach him, he will grab you and start crushing you in his fist.
- Molag Bal: "I am God of Oblivion! You are less than nothing!"
When you unleash the power of the amulet, his giant form will crumble and he will meet you on the battlefield. He will still shout threats at you as you fight.
- Molag Bal: "Your pathetic Aedric trinket can't defeat me! I am Molag Bal, Lord of Domination!"
- Molag Bal: "What is this? Infant! Do you think your toy can slay a god?"
- Molag Bal: "Your mind is naked to me! I can taste your fear! You are fertile ground for the seeds of eternal torment!"
- Molag Bal: "Tamriel is ripe, and I have all of eternity to reap its harvest of flesh! Death comes for you and all children of the Mundus on black wings!"
- Molag Bal: "I am the face of pain! The souls of the damned are my weapons! You will know eons of suffering!"
Once you have beaten him down, he will fall to his knees. With the last of the blessing's power, you will manifest a sword of light to slice him in half.
Afterwards you will you will witness a flashing bright light and be transported to The Colored Rooms. A familiar voice will call out to you.
- Meridia: "Come forward, Vestige. You are safe, for now. Something precious to you has been riven from Stone-Fire's being. I have brought it here for you to reclaim."
When you've reclaimed your soul, the projection of Molag Bal will "congratulate" you.
- Molag Bal: "I congratulate you, little insect. Your sting is formidable."
- Molag Bal: "You have bested me and released a thousand times a thousand souls back into the Mundus."
- Molag Bal: "For the moment, your world is spared, but my grand scheme has only begun to unfold. Excellent. Your power shall prove useful in the coming conflicts."
- Molag Bal: "You've made a great and terrible enemy this day. Your world would have been better off if the Planemeld had succeeded. Had you bowed before me and accepted eternal servitude, I would have protected you. There are worse masters than I. Far worse."
- Meridia: "You are but a phantom here in my domain, Stone-Fire. The mortal prophecies of the Scrolls have been fulfilled. Leave this place and return to your pit!"
- Molag Bal: "You have a powerful ally. Did you know that she would bring you here? What future role has she to play in this grand, cosmic farce, I wonder?"
- Molag Bal: "Bah! Your meddling has already cost me too much, accursed creature of light and flame. This farce no longer amuses me."
He will then leave the plane.
At Dolmens throughout Tamriel, Molag Bal will address the players attacking them at certain stages:
- Boss is summoned (When the four outer pinions are closed)
- "Puny mortals, you think you've won? Come, my slaves! Destroy them!"
- "Weakling. Pathetic piece of filth. Leave while yet you can." (to characters that haven't completed the main quest)
- "Yes. Sacrifice those servants in my name. Let's give you something worthy to sacrifice!"'
- "You do not yet know fear? I shall make you afraid!"
- "You've only destroyed my whelps. These minions will not be so easily defeated!"
- "You think this is over, wretch? Tell yourself another lie."
- "Wretches! All my servants are wretches! Perhaps these will do the job!"
- "The Planemeld will go on as planned. You cannot stop it!"
- "They serve by choice. They serve the strong. They serve me."
- "We sometimes admire our prey, and secretly applaud when it cheats our snares."
- "When oath-bonds are weak, there is pain, and shame, and darkness."
- "You must bow to me or die. Minions, destroy them!"
- "I give you one chance to surrender … surrender to your death!"
- "The end of Nirn is at hand. Come forth and destroy!"
- "Wretched things, mortals. May a storm wash you into Coldharbour."
- "While the prey was distracted, the predator prepared to strike."
- "You again? Cease splashing blood upon my chains!"
- "Your White-Gold Tower will serve as an anchor point for my dark machines!"
- "Your corpse will make a fine addition to my collection. Minions, destroy them!"
- "How many have you killed to defeat me? Each death is like a prayer to me!"
- "Unexpected. I will call forth someone more worthy of your strength."
- "Your death will mean nothing to me. You are but a minor distraction."
- "This exercise becomes amusing, mortal. Give my minions more practice!"
- "You are unworthy to kiss my feet. Begone with you!"
- "Kneel before me and submit to the power of Molag Bal!"
- "The armies of Coldharbour are upon you! Submit to their rule!"
- "Fool! Did you think Molag Bal, the Lord of Domination, would be defeated so easily?"
- "Your pathetic attempts to save this world amuse me."
- "To challenge me is to die. To flee is to become prey."
- "Submit, and become mine! Fight, and be destroyed!"
- "You entertain me, mortal. Well done. Now, entertain me more!"
- "When Nirn and Coldharbour are one, all will serve my will!"
- "Thrashing you thoroughly will please me, mortal."
- "When you are destroyed, the flies will pick your bones clean."
- "My minions will gnaw the flesh from your corpse."
- "What will it be this time? Daedroth? More Dremora? How about this?"
- Anchor is destroyed (When the final pinion is closed)
- "Drink in your victory. It won't last long."
- "I don't want revenge. I want your submission."
- "Destroy this anchor and scores more will take its place!"
- "Pointless. Ten anchors drop for each that is destroyed!"
- "When you destroy the next, this one will have returned."
- "Nothing you can do will end this."
- "My subjects failed me. They deserve to be destroyed."
- "This will not finish me!"
- "I am patient. This world will one day be mine."
- "Dogs! Filth! You anger a powerful enemy."
- "May your soul burn."
- "Like all worldly things, you will in time wear and be used up."
- "The effort was not for naught. Until next time …."
- "I will ensure no tales are told of your valor."
- "Sometimes the prey turns and nips us. It's a small thing."
- "The Daedra. The anchors. You destroy them in vain."
- "Destroy the body, and the animus is cast into darkness. But the animus returns."
- "You've done nothing, mortal."
- "You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once."
- "Fool! Every drop of blood you spill to defeat me only gives me more strength."
- "I admire your tenacity, mortals."
- "The skins of those you love will fly as my banners."
- "Kill my minions and you only remove the weaklings from my service."
- "Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss."
- "Wretched mortals. Worms."
- "I will dominate this world and all others in time. The strong should always command the weak."
- "May your enemies be broken and bloody."
- "Yes. Wash the stones in blood. Good."
- "I am patient. But not that patient, fool."
- "These stones will wear down in time. As you will, mortal."
- "You and I know how this ends."
- "I've made you an offer, mortal."
- "I await you at the next anchor."
- "The plan is in place. You are but an inconvenience."
- "Your efforts are futile. The Planemeld is nearly complete."
- "That's right. Grind them into the dirt."
- "You are useful little worms."
- "If I cannot control your world, I will destroy it."
- "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?"
- "These mortals are strong, but not strong enough."
Molag Bal has dialogue that has a chance to occur if the player has completed some or all parts of the Main Quest.
- Boss is summoned
- "Ah, it's my unwitting tool. Return to my realm and serve me."
- "Destroy more. Destroy more. Destroy more in my name, pawn!"
- "The strong will cleanse the world of the weak. Cleanse, my pawn, cleanse."
- "I forged you in the soulfire of Coldharbour to be my tool. Prove your worth."
- "Bend your knee to me, I'll give you a minion for each enemy you've slain. You will have an army."
- "My plan comes to fruition, mortal. You serve me now as a vessel of destruction."
- "Your soul is mine. I own you! Come. Let us play."
- "Your strength is mine. Come. Serve me."
- "You have killed many. But I have killed more. Fool, you are outclassed."
- "The Prophet is a fool, and you are a greater one for following him."
- "Varen's gambit nearly handed the empire to Mannimarco—and Nirn to me."
- "Lyris Titanborn. She was the best slave at the Black Forge. Whatever happened to her?"
- "Where has the giantess gone? Back to milk some mammoths?"
- "You and Sai Sahan have much in common … except you're not a complete failure."
- "Where is that failed Sword-Saint now? Brooding in some sandy cave on the edges of Oblivion?"
- "Where has little Abnur Tharn run off to? Where does he hide?"
- "The Tharns and their trinkets. It is weakness to rely on toys for strength."
- "The Battlemage has the amulet, but you have true power. Fight for me."
- "Mannimarco was a pawn. You are another. Come. Let's play."
- "The King of Worms served me poorly. Perhaps you will do better."
- "Mannimarco's failures are your opportunities. You both shall serve me well."
- "Are you still working for the dim one?"
- "Your time in my realm made you strong, as expected. Let's see how you fare against these."
- Anchor is destroyed
- "The time remaining when you can still refuse me is dwindling."
- "You insist on wasting your time with these trifles?"
- "Good. I grant you permission to strengthen yourself with my minions."
- "Your strength will be rewarded. One day."
- "The plan shall go on, with or without you."
- "We go through the motions again, I see."
- "The ends and the means are one. And you are both."
- "Throw aside the pawns, my knight. Until one day you are taken unawares."
- "The sacrifices you make are all done in my name. You are and will always be my servant."
- "We shall see each other again."
- "It is you who will strike the final blow at our enemies. You are almost ready."
- "The soulless one thinks I can be defeated. Not so, fool."
- "You've proven your strength. Again."
Occasionally, the final boss wave will instead be replaced with Molag Bal summoning one of his fearsome generals, with his dialogue varying by each one.
|Generals||Molag Bal's Commentaries|
|Amkaos, Kathutet and Ranyu||"Now you face my chosen soldiers. Kathutet, Amkaos, Ranyu! Destroy these worms!"|
|"Kathutet, Amkaos, Ranyu! Time to torture some mortals!"|
|Anaxes and Medrike||"The Xivilai make excellent torturers and guards. Let's test them against you."|
|"Xivilai know no honor. Anaxes and Medrike will test their strength, not yours."|
|Dregas Volar||"Lord of Magas Volar, Bearer of the Daedric Crescent, serve me and destroy the mortals!"|
|"From your sanctuary on Vvardenfell, I summon you, Lord Dregas Volar."|
|Dylora, Jansa and Vika||"Loyalties are fickle among the Dark Seducers. Face now the least loyal but most deadly."|
|"The Seducers are known for their subtlety, but I find they have many strengths."|
|Fangaril, King Styriche and Zayzahad||"From deep beneath Cyrodiil, I summon Fangaril! Consume them, each one!"|
|"Your flesh is nothing but mort meat to Fangaril."|
|Gedna Relvel||"From deep beneath Morrowind, I summon the lich Gedna Relvel!"|
|"Let's see if you can withstand the might of Gedna Relvel, crimson witch of Mournhold."|
|Glut, Hogshead and Stumble||"Amusing. Let's see how you fare against these Ogrim."|
|"Think you're strong? Have some Ogrim! Three of them!"|
|Hrelvesuu||"Deep in dark Nchurdamz, I found Hrelvesuu. Come forth and destroy!"|
|"Some of my pets are fascinated by the toys of mortals. Hrelvesuu, show them!"|
|Menta Na||You will now be a gift to my most favored pet, Menta Na.|
|"The daedroth Menta Na has served me well. He will destroy you."|
|Methats, Sumeer and Vonshala||"Many Dremora serve Dagon, but these serve me."|
|"The Dremora know no fear, and admit no defeat."|
|Nomeg Haga||"Forged from ice at the heart of Coldharbour, Nomeg Haga will destroy you."|
|"Now you face my personal slave. Nomeg Haga, come forth and stop these worms!"|
|Ozozzachar||"My son, my child! Ozozzachar, destroy them!"|
|"Ozozzachar, my son! I summon you from the skies!"|
|Rhagothan||"You've done well. Now it ends. Come, Rhagothan! Feast!"|
|"A mortal for you to feast upon, Rhagothan. You may feed now."|
|Velehk||"Blood on the water, Velehk this way comes. Your doom is upon you."|
|"He'll tear you open and eat your heart raw. His eyes gleam red, his heart will never thaw."|
|Yggmanei||"Some prefer knowledge to strength. Yggmanei gives me both."|
|"For your final test, meet Yggmanei. Even the Lord of Domination needs spies."|
|Zymel Hriz||"Can you withstand Zymel Hriz, an atronach of lightning and rock?"|
|"Most atronachs are weak. Some are strong. Zymel Hriz, I summon you!"|
The following dialogue has not yet been sorted into the above categories, and is listed here.
- "I no longer need these devices but they serve me by making you bleed."
- "While your leaders chase each others' tails, my chains pull tighter, bringing our worlds together."
- "You. Everyone you love. Everyone you hate. All will labor at my devices in service to me."
If you're in the middle of the Coldharbour invasion questline:
- "So… one sneaks into my realm with ill intent. You will not disturb my devices so easily."
- "You invade my realm, filth, intending to do harm? You will fail. The servants of my devices protect them at all cost."
- "The chains break. The anchors crumble. The gears halt. But I am still Lord of Domination, and you are still nothing."
- "An anchor broken from its mooring? Reinforce the heart of the device and launch another anchor!"
- "My slaves will throw you into the heart of the device, and you shall endure the tortures of the damned."
- "Where, oh where, is the little worm? We cannot have vermin in the heart of my devices."
- "Do what you will with my devices, wretch. These halls are filled with those who call me "Master.""
Cut & Deprecated Content
The Wailing Prison
These lines appear to be from a much older version of The Wailing Prison quest. They don't resemble anything in the current patch, and Molag Bal's voice is different.
||"And where do you think you're going?"|
||"Pitiful worms. You are mine, now. You cannot escape."|
||"I will soon draw your world to mine. My dark anchors will see to that!"|
||"The dead rise at my command. Cracked fingers will rend your flesh!"|
||"Colossus of bone, rise! Tear these creatures asunder!"|
||"We will see each other again, soon."|
||"Your mortal magic will not save you, "Prophet". You cannot escape."|
||"What? What is happening?"|
||"No! You will not escape. Coldharbour does not release its grasp!"|
The Wakening Dark
Molag Bal was at one point supposed to speak to you in Gil-Var-Delle during The Wakening Dark. He would have said something after you destroyed the Dark Anchor during the quest.
||"Pitiful creature! You think you've won? Gil-Var-Delle is my greatest trophy, a place where the planes shall always meld. It will never slip from my grasp!"|
|(file missing)||"Enjoy your victory while it lasts. I will return, again and again, until all bow before me."|
Molag Bal is likely referring to Almalexia in this line:
||"Tell me, does the goddess also see her own doom? I reserve a special place for her glorious soul!"|
||"This place is not for you, wretch. This device will break your world and make it mine."|
There appears to be different takes of certain lines present within the game files.
||Live||"They serve by choice. They serve the strong. They serve me."|
||Cut||"They serve by choice. They serve the strong. They serve me."|
Molag Bal calls out to his minions to destroy an adversary.
||"Slaves! Subdue this pretender, than [sic] I might feast upon their pain for all eternity!"|
Molag Bal threatens you.
||"I will have you, Vestige! Pathetic prophecies and trinkets of holy powers are fleeting! I am immortal! I am undying! Your world will drown in blood!"|
- Molag Bal is voiced by Malcolm McDowell.
- A statue of Molag Bal comes with the Imperial Edition of the game.
- Molag Bal attempts to manifest on Nirn in the Imperial Sewers as the Simulacrum of Molag Bal.
- When a Daedric Arch opens up, Molag Bal can be heard laughing.
- He allegedly has "children", two of which are seen in-game: Molag Grunda and Ozozzachar.
- Factions associated with Molag Bal include the Foolkillers Clan, Deathbringer Clan, Stonefire Cult, Worm Cult, Seventh Legion, Legion Zero, the Bloodthorn Cult the Blackheart Haven Pirates, the Coldharbour Elite Guard the Lord-Warden's Council, the Shadow Walkers, the Cult of the Profane Bond and the Shadowed Path.
- Several Daedric ruins on Vvardenfell are dedicated to Molag Bal: Tusenend, Ashalmawia, Yansirramus, Bal Ur, Esutanamus, Kushtashpi, and Ramimilk.
- Molag Bal quotes Spirit of the Daedra several times in Dark Anchor dialogue.
- Molag Bal is not leashed, and will chase you all the way back to the Vestibule if you try to run there during battle.
- When Molag Bal crushes you during God of Schemes, you are technically hovering over an invisible platform beneath his hand. If you die during this sequence, you'll be dropped on this platform. Attempting this is not recommended, as you can break the sequence by jumping down onto the platform Molag Bal is standing on.
- Any issues with this quest can be remedied by exiting and logging back in; if you log out at any point in Heart's Grief, you'll be deposited in front of the Harborage, and taken back to the stage of the quest where you're supposed to enter Coldharbour with the Five Companions. You will have to redo the quest from this point if this occurs.
- Molag Bal's Titan pets can't follow you down the stairs if you try to flee, but he can.[verification needed — Further testing is needed for the Titans' limits]
- If subtitles/NPC captions are turned on, Molag Bal's dialogue at a Dark Anchor stage may show both his pre- and post-main quest dialogue in the chat box.
- If you enter a menu (such as your Inventory) while Molag Bal is crushing you in his hand, your character may clip out of his hand and perform an idle standing animation in mid-air. This doesn't break the sequence, but it may break immersion. ?
- Molag Bal may interrupt himself in the middle of saying his "Tamriel is ripe" spiel. Teleporting away seems to be of higher priority than Molag Bal telling his opponent how he's going to reap Nirn's harvest of flesh. ?
- If you log out while doing the quest, then log back in, you'll have to redo the stages of the quest leading up to the final battle. If you redo the sequence leading up to Molag Bal enough times (at least twice), the animation that plays when you vanquish Molag Bal may not work properly. Molag Bal will fall to his knees and your character sheds the Emperor costume, but your character just stands there with their weapon drawn, unmoving. The sword you summon is stuck to the ground next to your feet or to your character's hand, and you never swing the sword. Instead, you merely teleport to the Colored Rooms after the amount of time it would have taken to slice him in half passes.
- Try to finish the quest in one go to avoid this. You won't be forced to redo the sequence if you log out or crash and immediately attempt to log back in; a certain amount of time must pass before your instance is reset, so don't panic if your connection drops.