|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
This article is about the planet. For an account of Nirn's mythic history, see Mundus.
Nirn (which means 'Gray Maybe' in Ehlnofex)[nb 1] is the Mortal Plane, the planet upon which Tamriel and the mortal races reside. It floats in the void of Oblivion and comprises the realm known as Mundus. Sources often use the terms Nirn and Mundus synonymously. Nirn was created during the Dawn Era by the Aedra and Anu-aligned spirits, based on Lorkhan's inspiration and Magnus' designs.
Tamriel is the main continent of Nirn and is its mythic and symbolic center. Tamriel is divided into 9 provinces: Black Marsh, Cyrodiil, Elsweyr, Hammerfell, High Rock, Morrowind, Skyrim, Summerset Isle, and Valenwood.
- Akavir is a continent east of Tamriel with four known regions: Kamal, Tsaesci, Tang Mo, and Ka Po' Tun; home to the Kamal, Tsaesci, Tang Mo, and Ka Po' Tun races, respectively.
- Atmora is a continent north of Tamriel and the homeland of the modern Nords' ancestors.
- Yokuda was a continent west of Tamriel and the original homeland of the Redguards, but it has since sunk into the sea.
- Pyandonea is an island south of Tamriel. It is home to the elusive Maormer.
More obscure landmasses are also believed to have existed at some point, such as Aldmeris, the possibly mythical homeland of the Aldmer, as well as Lyg, a region where Mehrunes Dagon was created by the Magna Ge.
Nirn has two visible moons: Masser and Secunda According to the Khajiit, there is a third moon, which they consider the corpse of Lorkhaj. The other astral bodies in the sky above Nirn are believed to actually be the planes of the gods as seen from the mortal plane.[UOL 1] Their appearance as spheres is a visual phenomena caused by mortal mental stress.[UOL 1] The sun and stars are also punctures in the veil of Oblivion, through which the light of Aetherius shines into Mundus. One exception is the snake constellation, The Serpent, which 'wanders' about the sky. It is made up of "unstars".[UOL 1]
To the Khajiit, Nirni is a spirit within their pantheon and can be described as the personification of Nirn, and is considered the mother of all mortal life in the Mundus. She is one of the children of Fadomai's third litter, along with Jone, Jode, Azura and Lorkhaj. From birth, Nirni and Azura were rivals and fought for their mother's favor which lead to one of her epithets as the Jealous Sister. This jealousy is used in some tales to explain the harshness of the Khajiit homeland, as a response to their status as Azurah's favored people.
- → for more information on her role in the Khajiiti creation myth, see main article here
- The Monomyth
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: Arena Supermundus: The Tapestry of Heaven — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- Spirit of Nirn, God of Mortals
- Varieties of Faith in the Empire — Brother Mikhael Karkuxor of the Imperial College
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: Other Lands — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Annotated Anuad
- Mysterious Akavir
- Frontier, Conquest — University of Gwylim Press, 3E 344
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: The Wild Regions — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Before the Ages of Man — Aicantar of
- Mythic Dawn Commentaries 4 — Mankar Camoran
- The Lunar Lorkhan — Fal Droon
- Shazah's dialogue during The Den of Lorkhaj in ESO
- The Moon Cats and their Dance
- The Firmament — Ffoulke
- The Worldly Spirits — Amun-dro, the Silent Priest
- Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi — Clan Mother Ahnissi
- The Brothers of Darkness — Pellarne Assi
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.
- Cosmology — The Temple Zero Society