Online:Heart of Evil
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Wyress Rashan.
- Burn the totems.
- Meet Rashan at the tower.
- Talk to the crows.
- Find Uela's lair.
- Retrieve Uela's heart.
- Return to Rashan.
- "Right now, we are in no position to offer anyone aid, and certainly not a city-dweller.
Uela the Hagraven and her Reachmen have taken over this part of the forest and everything here—including the wyresses—are weaker as a result."
- Do you plan to drive the Reachmen away?
- "Where they travel, the forest slowly withers and dies. We will drive Uela and her Dark Witnesses from here or we will die.
Unfortunately, the old hag is no stranger to Wyrd magic. She has constructed foul totems that suppress our power."
- Is that something I could help with?
- "You expect me to trust one such as you? Hm. Perhaps … of one of my sisters keeps an eye on you. Wyress Rashan is young, but she will do.
Rashan returns shortly from scouting. If you really wish to help us, she can join you to destroy the totems."
- That's fine with me.
After agreeing to help, a wolf guardian will walk up to you.
- Wyress Freyda: "Here she comes now …. Rashan. We have a volunteer to destroy Uela's totems."
Burning the Totems
When Wyress Rashan arrives, you can speak with her to learn about the plan.
- "We aren't in the habit of trusting outsiders, but the suffering of the forest seems to have softened my sister's heart.
If you really wish to help us, I suppose that's an offer we can't refuse."
- I want to help defeat the Reachmen however I can.
- "It won't be easy. First, you'll need to destroy Uela's totems,. They keep us from drawing on the power of nature for our magicka.
The Reachmen guard them closely, but I'll fight at your side. No spells, but I've got sharp claws and a mean bite."
- I welcome your help.
- "I do what I do for the forest, not for you. There are three totems—just a bunch of strung-together sticks for you, but they're like poison to me.
I can't get too close, so it's all on you to destroy them. All right. Are you ready?"
- I'm ready. Let's go.
Rashan will become your follower and you will have to head into the nearby Dark Witnesses camps up the road. The totems will be found in the center of the individual camps and will be guarded by a variety of Dark Witnesses enemies as well as Lurchers. At this point of the quest, it is prudent to start the sidequest The Last Spriggan by speaking with Wyress Shannia who can be found in the ruins near the lake shore.
You will need to destroy three totems before their destruction has a tangible effect on the wyresses' magic. Once you have destroyed the totems, you can speak with Rashan who will be feeling the return of her magic.
- "Whoah! I can actually feel the forest again ….
This is good. The natural order is re-emerging already. It's still very weak though; it has to be nurtured back to health."
- What about Uela?
- "She has to die. Until Uela's gone, the corruption remains. Her blood is the nurture the forest needs.
Whoah! My magicka is returning, and it's making me lightheaded …. Meet me over at the old tower. I need to get my bearings."
- I'll meet you there.
After agreeing to meet Wyress Rashan later, you will have another unpleasant encounter with the Strange Crow— Uela, who is angered by what you have done.
- Strange Crow: "Vandal! Destroying my art, you will regret!"
When you speak with her, she will taunt you and claim that you cannot reach her before flying away.
- "Playing with the little girls of the forest? A game with me though, many have come to regret!
- How exactly does my new playmate plan to win?"
- We're going to win by killing you?
- "Kill me? Ha! To kill Uela, you must find her first.
- I can reach you, but you cannot reach me!"
- We will find you.
- "Hmmph! Where I am is a secret only a crow can know. And the crows call for your death, not mine.
- Come after me and the last sight you will see will be a black beak...pecking out your eyeballs!"
- I doubt that very much.
Enter the Nature Realm
After listening to Uela's threats, you can find Wyress Rashan at the old tower where you can tell her what happened. When you find her, she will have returned to her Redguard form.
- "Listen. I–I was wrong to be so hard on you before. You've certainly proven now that you deserve my trust.
I appreciate your help more than I can express, especially if you'll see this thing through."
- I will. I spoke to Uela as a crow back there.
- "You did? Ha! Well I guess we got the old hag's attention! Maybe we put the foul thing on the defensive!
Of course, she probably has layers upon layers of protection. I don't even know how to find her. I don't suppose you have any inkling?"
- She said it's a secret only a crow would know.
- "The poor crows. She's taken complete control of them. Their spirits are helpless; they can only watch what happens to their physical forms from the nature realm.
She does have them coming and going though, so they would know where to find her."
- Is there any way we could commune with them?
- "As a matter of fact, now that I can draw on the power of nature again, there is.
I can take you into the nature realm … not in that form, of course, but it would allow us to talk to the crows' true spirits. Do you trust me?"
- Yes. Let's do it.
After agreeing to do this, will enter the nature realm. While in this place, your form will be that of a wolf and while you will be able to see the spectral forms of the Reachmen and lurchers, you cannot interact with them and they in turn cannot see you. Around the camps, you will see the ghostly crow spirits, speak with them to find out what they know about the location of Uela's lair.
While some of them don't know, eventually you will find one that does. Luckily for you, your unique nature as a Vestige can bypass the traps that would corrupt anyone else who tried to enter.
- "We can dispense with the small talk. I know why you're here. Even in the nature realm, news travels fast among crows.
Getting to Uela is impossible though. Even if you break her wards, entering her domain will corrupt your soul."
- What if I don't have a soul?
- "Well, why didn't you just say so? That would work. There is something different about you, isn't there?
Uela's lair is in the island tower. Break the wards in the physical realm, but enter the door from here. Don't tell her I told you, though."
- Thank you for the information.
The island tower where Uela is hiding can be found at the western edge of Jackdaw Cove.
- Wyress Rashan: "This looks like the place. I guess you're the one who's going in."
Once you reach it, you can speak with Rashan to see if she can help. Wyress Rashan won't be able to help you fight but she can weaken the door's Ward so you can enter. In return, Rashan requests you bring back the hagraven's heart.
- "Here I was, just starting to feel like you're one of the pack, and now we have to part ways.
Obviously, I'll have to be the one to break the wards on the door. It doesn't seem fair. You get you go in and chew the old hag's face off."
- Will I remain in this form?
- "I don't think so. Her lair's actually in the physical realm, so you'll assume your physical form. Probably not so much chewing, I suppose.
That's good though. You'll need your hands. After the crone's dead, you'll have to get her nasty little heart."
- Why do you need her heart?
- "When I said her blood was the nurture the forest needs, I meant that, literally. She's the source of the corruption here, so we need her heart to perform the ritual to cleanse the forest.
So … are you ready to go get it?"
- I'm ready whenever you are.
Once you are ready, Rashan will return to the physical world and weaken the wards.
- Wyress Rashan: "There. Back in the physical realm. Time to do this."
- <A beam of green light appears from her outstretched palm and hits the warded door.>
- Wyress Rashan: "All right! The door should be open now! Go get me that heart!"
Once inside the tower, you head down the stairs to a large room with vine-covered walls, Uela will be waiting in front of stone altar. When you engage her in combat she fights much like a normal hagraven.[verification needed — see]
- Uela: "Dare you to enter my dark hole? Tear you apart, my crows will!"
When you have killed her, loot her body and take Uela's Heart[verification needed — does this happen automatically?]. At the same time, a flock of crows will fly down the stairs and start tearing into her corpse. One of them will call out to you.
- Crow: "You killed her. You freed us. Haha!"
You can speak with the crow:
- "Freedom. Freedom at last! And Uela dead. Dead!"
- Yes, she is.
- "Sweet relief. No more voices, no more restraint. Bodies and minds together again.
The crows of Jackdaw Cove are in your debt."
- I'm just glad you're free again.
- "Yes, free and feasted! The Hagraven was all skin and bones, but what's there is sweet to eat.
So thank you for saving us, and thank you for supper!"
- I'll leave you to enjoy that then.
The Wyresses Ritual
When you leave the tower, you will find Wyress Rashan waiting for you, along with Wyresses Calysa and Freyda. They will be standing around a glowing green rune while spectral leaves twirl around it.
While you were busy fighting Uela, the Wyrd took advantage of the chaos and drove the Dark Witnesses out. This will result in the nearby camps being devoid of Reachmen, though the lurchers will still be hostile.
Besides this, you can speak with Rashan to give her the hagraven's heart which is needed for the ritual to combat the corruption.
- "The Reachmen must has sensed Uela's death. They started to panic and fight amongst themselves.
Made them easy pickings for me and my sisters. Now, the heart. You do have it, I hope."
- Yes. I do. What will this ritual do exactly?
- "You see all the giant vines choking the life out of everything here?
The ritual will purge the area of their evil presence. It's necessary for the land to heal. Why are you stalling though? You've grown attached to those vines?"
- No. You can take the heart.
- "Actually, hold onto it. I have an idea. Wyress Freyda will howl, but I think you've earned the honor.
Let us begin the ritual, and once we've penetrated the earth, you can throw the heart into the circle to complete the spell."
- All right. I'll throw the heart in the circle when you say.
- Wyress Rashan: "All right, sisters. Let us begin the ritual."
As they raise their hands, a beam of red light covered with dark miasma will emerge from the rune.
- Wyress Rashan: "It's your moment. Go ahead. Throw the heart into the circle."
You can interact with the rune to throw the heart and complete the ritual. Once the ritual is completed you can speak with Rashan to say your final goodbyes before leaving to report the Reachmen's defeat.
- "Who would have guessed it would be an outsider who would show up and kill Uela?
I doubt this means we'll start inviting families from Evermore out to visit, but maybe, just maybe, we can be a little more friendly."
- I hope so.
- "I, for one, am as grateful to you as the flowers are to the sun. You brought life back to these lands when it was nearly choked out.
Though we may never officially call an outsider a friend, I think we can at least consider you an ally."
|Heart of Evil|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|As distrustful as they may be, the Wyresses are willing to accept my help. Wyress Rashan should return from scouting the Reachmen's camp momentarily. I should talk to her about destroying the totems that prevent the Wyrd from using their magic.
Objective: Talk Wyress Rashan
|As distrustful as they may be, the Wyresses are willing to accept my help. Wyress Rashan has joined me as a wolf and we must burn the totems that prevent the Wyrd from using their magic.
Objective: Burn the Totems: 0/3
|I have succeeded in destroying the totems preventing the Wyrd from using their nature magic. I should speak to Wyress Rashan to ask if it worked.
Objective: Talk Wyress Rashan
|I have succeeded in destroying the totems preventing the Wyrd from using their nature magic, and a familiar crow has appeared. I should speak to the crow and hear what it has to say.
Objective: Talk to the Strange Crow
|I destroyed the totems preventing the Wyrd magic, and the Hagraven Uela again spoke through a crow. She says her location is a secret 'only a crow would know.' I should meet Wyress Rashan at the old tower to discuss next steps.
Objective: Meet Wyress Rashan at the Tower
|Wyress Rashan and I have entered the nature realm. I should speak to the crows' spirits here and find out if they know how to reach Uela's lair.
Objective: Talk to the Crows' Spirits: 0/3
|After speaking to crows' spirits in the nature realm, Wyress Rashan and I know how to get past Uela's wards. We must first find the entrance to her lair in the island tower.
Objective: Find the Door to Uela's Lair
|After speaking to crows' spirits in the nature realm, Wyress Rashan and I know how to get past Uela's wards, and we've found the door to her lair in the island tower. I should speak to Wyress Rashan now.
Objective: Talk Wyress Rashan
|After speaking to crows' spirits in the nature realm, Wyress Rashan and I have found the entrance to Uela's lair. Rashan has returned to the physical realm to break the wards on the door. Once she's done, I should enter the island tower.
Objective: Wait for Wyress Rashan to Weaken the Ward
(Once the Ward is weakened, the objective will change.)
Objective: Enter Uela's Lair
|I have reached Uela's lair. I must kill the Hagraven and bring her heart back to Wyress Rashan.
Objective: Defeat Hagraven Uela and Take Her Heart
|After defeating Uela, the crows she once enthralled descended upon her. One of them called out to me to speak to it.
Objective: Talk to the Crow
|I have killed the Hagraven Uela, freeing the crows she enslaved. Now I must bring her heart back to Wyress Rashan outside the tower.
Objective: Talk Wyress Rashan
|Uela is dead and the Wyresses now wish to use her heart in a ritual to cleanse the forest. Once they've begun the ritual, I should throw Uela's heart into the ritual circle.
Objective: Wait for the Wyresses to Begin the Ritual
(After the ritual is started, the objective will change to below:)
Objective: Throw the Heart in the Ritual Circle
|Uela is dead and the Wyresses have performed a ritual to cleanse the forest. I should speak with Wyress Rashan to say goodbye.
Objective: Talk Wyress Rashan