Heavy Attacks are attacks which must be charged. They do more damage per attack than light attacks, though less damage per second due to the charging time. There may also be further effects. Using a heavy attack against an Off Balance opponent will knock them down. Heavy attacks are performed by holding the attack button.
- Heavy attacks require no Stamina or Magicka but instead restore Magicka (with staves) or Stamina (other weapons) when fully charged. The amount restored scales to the length of time that the heavy attack takes to charge, so for example, a heavy attack with a 2-handed weapon will restore more Stamina than when dual wielding. Based on update 35 patch notes heavy attacks restore 1350 of the appropriate resource and 2500 damage per second of their cast time, with ranged attacks doing 10% less damage.
|Dual Wield / Unarmed
|One Hand & Shield
|Inferno / Frost Staff
|Lightning / Resto Staff
- Restoration staves and Lightning staves will begin channeling damage as soon as the heavy attack begins. This can be a detriment if you don't want to catch the attention of an enemy until the attack is fully charged. It can be a benefit since the attack will follow the enemy if they move during the channel, eliminating the need for you to track them until the attack is fully charged.
The lists below include only bonuses specifically from fully charged Heavy Attacks. For bonuses from Light Attacks, see the Light Attack page, as these generally work on both Light and Heavy Attacks as well.
- Tri Focus - adds various effects depending on the type of staff you are using.
- Cycle of Life - restores additional Magicka.
- Essence Drain - grants Major Mending, and also heals you or an ally based on the damage of the attack.
- Follow Up - causes subsequent attack to do more damage.
- The Arch-Mage - restores Magicka (This is in addition to the normal restoration if using a staff.)
- Destructive Mage - creates a bomb which detonates and deals Magic Damage when another heavy attack hits the same enemy.
- Embershield - increases your Spell Resistance and deals Flame Damage to nearby enemies.
- Infallible Mage - does additional damage and afflicts targets with Minor Vulnerability.
- Noble Duelist's Silks - does additional damage after a light or heavy attack in melee range.
- Queen's Elegance - grants Empower.
- Roaring Opportunist - Major Slayer for up to 5 group members.
- Sergeant's Mail - does additional damage.
- Spawn of Mephala (set) - creates a web which deals Poison Damage and reduces Movement Speed.
- Storm Master - does additional damage after a critical strike with a heavy attack.
- Sunderflame - does additional Flame Damage and reduces targets Physical Resistance.
- Wisdom of Vanus - grants Major Mending after a heavy attack.
- Wise Mage - afflicts targets with Minor Vulnerability.
- The Weapons Expert active champion perk increases light and heavy attack damage by up to 20%.