|Jarl's Residence||Mistveil Keep|
|Military Fort||Fort Greenwall|
|Southeast part of Skyrim|
The Rift is a hold in southeast Skyrim, with its capital in Riften. It is initially affiliated with the Stormcloaks, but can be captured by the Imperials after completing Compelling Tribute and The Battle for Fort Greenwall. It can also change sides as part of negotiations during Season Unending.
The Rift is the southernmost of Skyrim's holds, sitting on a massive plateau in the southeastern corner of the province. The Rift borders both Morrowind and Cyrodiil, and is separated from the rest of the world by steep cliffs and mountains, including the Jerall Mountains, the Velothi Mountains, and the legendary Throat of the World. It holds two large lakes as well as autumnal deciduous forests.
Flora and Fauna
All locations in the Rift with individual map markers are listed. There are a few places without map markers listed for their significance.
- Riften — A major city located in the southeastern corner of the Rift.
- Mistveil Keep — A castle located at the southern end of Riften.
- Riften DocksCC — An extensive dock located on the western side of Riften.
- Riften Stables — A stable outside the northern entrance to Riften.
- Thieves Guild — The headquarters of the Thieves Guild located with the sewers beneath Riften, known as The Ratway.
Farms, Towns, and Settlements including Orc Strongholds and Inns
- Alchemist's Shack — A small wooden shack located between Haemar's Shame and Ivarstead.
- Black-Briar Lodge — A large remote building east of Riften.
- Froki's Shack — An isolated hunter's shack nestled in the southern mountains of the Rift.
- Goldenglow Estate — A honey farm on a group of islands directly west of Riften.
- Heartwood Mill — A struggling lumber mill on the shores of Lake Honrich, west of Goldenglow Estate.
- Ivarstead — A small milling town located at the base of the Throat of the World.
- Largashbur — An accursed Orc stronghold in the Rift beset by giants.
- Merryfair Farm — A poor, small farm northwest of Riften, owned and run by Dravin Llanith and his wife Synda Llanith.
- Sarethi Farm — A farm between Riften and Ivarstead that has learned to cultivate nirnroot.
- Shor's Stone — A small mining village that operates the Redbelly Mine.
- Snow-Shod Farm — A small farm south of Riften that is owned by Vulwulf Snow-Shod.
Camps, including Giant Camps and Military Camps
- Last VigilDB — A small outcropping in the Velothi Mountains east of Shor's Stone.
- Rift Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp in the Rift, located south of Ivarstead and west of the Ruins of Bthalft.
- Rift Stormcloak Camp — A Stormcloak camp in the Rift, located northeast of Sarethi Farm and west of Rift Watchtower.
- Boulderfall Cave — A small cave inhabited by leveled necromancers.
- Broken Helm Hollow — A small cave in the southeast corner of The Rift occupied by bandits.
- Clearspring Cave — A small cave overlooking Eastmarch occupied by a troll.
- Crystaldrift Cave — A small cave that serves as the resting place for an insane Bosmer, with a shrine Kynareth built to watch over him and to bring peace to weary travelers.
- Darkwater Pass — A medium-sized cave near Darkwater Crossing home to Falmer and chaurus.
- Fallowstone Cave — A small cave with an exit to Giant's Grove, located in the Velothi Mountains northeast of Riften and a short distance north of Lost Prospect Mine.
- Gromm's PassCC — A small cave located in the Rift, south of Forelhost.
- Honeystrand Cave — A small cave occupied by bears.
- Nightingale Hall — The home of the Nightingales between Riften and the Shadow Stone.
- Pinepeak Cavern — A small cave along the Treva River occupied by bears.
- Redwater DenDG — A drug den hidden beneath a dilapidated shack, supplying Redwater skooma, located west of Autumnshade Clearing.
- Ruunvald ExcavationDG — A medium-sized cave east-southeast of Shor's Watchtower and north-northeast of Riften.
- Tolvald's Cave — A large cave in the Velothi Mountains, northeast of Shor's Stone and south-southeast of Ansilvund.
- Autumnwatch Tower — A dragon lair comprising a pair of abandoned towers south of Ivarstead.
- Lost Tongue Overlook — A dragon lair in the Jerall Mountains south of Riften.
- Northwind Summit — A mountaintop dragon lair on the border between Eastmarch and the Rift.
- Lost Prospect Mine — A small abandoned gold mine found between Fallowstone Cave and Black-Briar Lodge.
- Northwind Mine — A small iron mine on the northern side of Northwind Summit.
- Redbelly Mine — A small ebony mine in Shor's Stone with a smelter near the entrance.
- Angarvunde — A large Nordic ruin at the foot of the mountains directly west of Riften and slightly northwest of Avanchnzel.
- Arcwind Point — A small outdoor Nordic ruin located at the southern edge of Skyrim, south of Ivarstead.
- Avanchnzel — A large Dwarven ruin filled with Dwarven automatons of all types.
- Champion's RestCC — A medium-sized Nordic ruin located in the Rift, east of Shor's Stone.
- Forelhost — A large Nordic ruin on a peak southeast of Riften which contains a word wall for the Storm Call shout.
- Geirmund's Hall — A small Nordic ruin east of Ivarstead containing draugr, frostbite spiders, and skeevers.
- Shroud Hearth Barrow — A medium-sized Nordic ruin located just northeast of Ivarstead.
- Darklight Tower — A medium-sized fort occupied by hagravens.
- Faldar's Tooth — A medium-sized fort located west of Riften and north of Goldenglow Estate.
- Fort DawnguardDG — A large fort southeast of Riften which serves as the Dawnguard's base of operations.
- Fort Greenwall — A large fort south-southeast of Shor's Stone, northwest of Riften, initially occupied by bandits.
- Nilheim — A small ruined Nordic tower east-northeast of Ivarstead containing bandits disguised as guards.
- Rift Watchtower — A small tower in the northern Rift occupied by Orc bandits.
- Shor's Watchtower — A small tower that overlooks Shor's Stone in the Eastmarch-the Rift pass, due north of Riften.
- Stendarr's Beacon — A small tower home to three Vigilants of Stendarr, south of Black-Briar Lodge.
- Treva's Watch — A medium-sized fort situated to the southeast of Ivarstead, south of Sarethi Farm.
Landmarks, including Bodies of Water, Clearings, Ships and Shipwrecks
- Autumnshade Clearing — A circular glade inhabited by a spriggan and its attending animals.
- Clearspring Tarn — A small mountain pool on the cliff overlooking Eastmarch, due east of Snapleg Cave and west of Shor's Stone.
- Darkwater River — A river connecting Lake Geir to the White River.
- Giant's Grove — The home of a giant tribe that has defiled a shrine of Malacath.
- Jerall Mountains — A mountain range that stretches along the southern border of Skyrim.
- Lake Geir — A lake in the western Rift.
- Lake Honrich — A lake in the eastern Rift, immediately southwest of Riften.
- Ruins of Bthalft — A small Dwarven ruin south of Ivarstead.
- Ruins of Rkund — A small Dwarven ruin high in the southern mountains of the Rift.
- Treva River — A river in the center of the Rift.
- Velothi Mountains — A mountain range that stretches along the eastern border of Skyrim.
- There are three Dragon Mounds in the Rift.
- There are two Shrines in the Rift.
The Rift Quests
Quests that are started in or related to the Rift (except for radiant quests begun in other holds) are listed here:
Imperial Legion Civil War Quests
- Reunification of Skyrim: Reunite Skyrim under the leadership of the Empire. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Greenwall: Take Fort Greenwall for the Imperials. (radiant)
- Innocence Lost: Help an orphaned child avoid being returned to a sadistic caretaker.
- Kill Narfi: Kill a hapless beggar in Ivarstead.
- All primary quests except for Hard Answers, as well as the special jobs, either originate or terminate here.
Side Quests including Divine Quests
- The Book of Love: Help the Temple of Mara spread the cause of love throughout Skyrim.
- Forbidden Legend: Investigate the forgotten Gauldur Legend.
- Infiltration: Help Stalleo take back Treva's Watch.
- Kyne's Sacred Trials: Participate in Kyne's Sacred Trials by hunting the guardian beasts of Skyrim.
- Promises to Keep: Help Louis Letrush get Frost from Sibbi Black-Briar.
- Repentance: Help Illia prevent her mother Silvia from transforming into a hagraven.
- A Return To Your Roots: Go where a famous alchemist could not in order to aid ground-breaking research.
- Siege on the Dragon Cult: Enter the ruins of Forelhost and defeat Rahgot to recover his mask for Captain Valmir.
- Unfathomable Depths: Uncover the memories of the Dwemer.
- Dawnguard Main Questline
- DawnguardDG: Speak with the leader of the Dawnguard.
- AwakeningDG: Find out what the vampires are looking for.
- BloodlineDG: Choose your side!
- ProphetDG: Find and rescue a Moth Priest from the vampires.
- Chasing EchoesDG: Explore Castle Volkihar.
- Unseen VisionsDG: Perform a ceremony to read the Elder Scroll.
- Dawnguard Side Quests (all start here, several take place exclusively in the Rift)
- Ancient TechnologyDG: Retrieve Dwemer schematics to improve technology for the Dawnguard. (radiant)
- Bolstering the RanksDG: Find Florentius Baenius and recruit him into the Dawnguard.
- Cleansing LightDG: Kill the boss of a vampire lair. (radiant)
- Destroying the DawnguardDG: Kill the Dawnguard leaders.
- Hide and SeekDG: Kill a vampire masquerading as a citizen. (radiant)
- A New OrderDG: Recruit Isran's old allies for the Dawnguard. (radiant)
- RescueDG: Rescue a victim from vampires. (radiant)
- Blue in the FaceCC: Investigate rumors of the Blue God's return.
- Creature of LegendCC: Track down and tame the last living Unicorn.
- The Gray Cowl of NocturnalCC: Investigate the legend of the Gray Fox.
- The Lost PaladinCC: Find and claim the Sword of Heroes.
- Nordic JewelryCC: Learn about Nordic jewelry.
- Pets of SkyrimCC: Find trained pets around Skyrim.
- Shadowfoot SanctumCC: Purchase a cozy sewer home ideal for a thief.
- A Soul DividedCC: Seek out a cursed Tsaesci blade in the Ratway.
- Vile WhispersCC: A malevolent Daedric entity long thought destroyed has resurfaced in the Velothi Mountains.
In addition, many miscellaneous quests are located in the Rift. They are listed here.