Skyrim:Volkihar Vampire Clan
The Volkihar vampire clan is a group of vampires led by Lord Harkon, introduced in the Dawnguard add-on. They are renowned as the most powerful court of vampires in Skyrim. Residing in Volkihar Keep, an ancient castle situated on a remote island off the coast of Haafingar, the court is among the most ancient and pure-blooded of vampires in Skyrim. In the Dawnguard add-on, you can choose to join the clan to fight against the tyranny of the sun, or choose to join the Dawnguard in an effort to destroy them.
Joining the Volkihar vampires requires you to first complete the quest Awakening. After completing the quest, Bloodline will begin. After escorting Serana to Volkihar Keep, Lord Harkon will offer you membership within the clan and the ability to become a Vampire Lord. This is your only opportunity to join the ranks of the clan itself. Upon accepting Harkon's gift, the quest The Bloodstone Chalice will begin.
These benefits should be compared to those offered by the Dawnguard.
- Free access to Volkihar Keep, which holds several wardrobes and bookcases that are safe containers for storage, as well as mortal thralls for safer feeding.
- The ability to transform into a Vampire Lord upon immediate membership (can be obtained later if you side with the Dawnguard).
- The Bloodstone Chalice, Amulets of Night Power, and Rings of Blood Magic, which can augment your vampiric powers.
- CuSith and Garmr, two death hound followers.
- Access to Fura Bloodmouth, a master trainer for Two-handed, and Ronthil, an expert trainer for Speech.
- Access to several additional merchants: Feran Sadri, Hestla, and Ronthil.
- Endless supply of radiant quests.
The primary Volkihar questline consists of ten quests. Two achievements (60 points; 1 Bronze, 1 Silver) are unlocked by the Volkihar questline.
- Bloodline: Choose your side!
- The Bloodstone Chalice: Fill the Bloodstone Chalice from the Bloodspring at Redwater Den.
- Prophet: The time of prophecy has arrived! Locate a Moth Priest for the vampires.
- Chasing Echoes: Explore Castle Volkihar.
- Scroll Scouting: Obtain all three Elder Scrolls for Dexion Evicus.
- Seeking Disclosure: Bring the Elder Scrolls to Dexion.
- Beyond Death: Search for Valerica in the Soul Cairn. ( 20 pts/Bronze)
- Unseen Visions: Perform a ceremony to read the Elder Scroll.
- Touching the Sky: Find and retrieve Auriel's Bow.
- Kindred Judgement: Confront Lord Harkon. ( 40 pts/Silver)
- Amulets of Night Power: Retrieve the Amulets of Night Power. (radiant)
- Ancient Power: Retrieve vampire parts from varied locations around Skyrim. (radiant)
- Culling the Beast: Kill the thin-blooded vampires. (radiant)
- Deceiving the Herd: Frame the Dawnguard for murder. (radiant)
- The Hunt: Kill the Dawnguard spy. (radiant)
- New Allegiances: Turn the target into a vampire. (radiant)
- Protecting the Bloodline: Destroy a vampire before it turns its allies. (radiant)
- Rings of Blood Magic: Retrieve the Ring of the Erudite and the Ring of The Beast. (radiant)
- Destroying the Dawnguard: Kill the Dawnguard leaders. (This quest becomes available as a radiant quest after successfully completing Kindred Judgement.)
- The Gift: Turn your spouse into a creature of the night.
- After joining the Volkihar vampires, if you decide to become mortal again by talking to Falion, upon returning to Castle Volkihar, you will be told that your mortality should be "fixed" and that you should speak to Lord Harkon (or Serana if you have completed the Dawnguard quest line), who will reprimand you for losing his gift and then bite you again, turning you back into a vampire.
- Attacking a member of the clan will make all clan members (except Serana) turn hostile to you. Sheathe your weapon or unequip your magic and they will forgive you this time. If you attack them again, they won't calm down easily.
- Attacking or even killing CuSith or Garmr won't make other clan members turn hostile to you. Only the death hound you are attacking will fight back.
For more information on the Volkihar vampire clan in the Elder Scrolls universe, see the lore article.
- Immortal Blood by Anonymous — Dialogues about fighting with vampires
- Valerica's Journal by Valerica — Valerica's notes on attuning the portal vessel to the Soul Cairn
Volkihar Keep, home to the Volkihar vampire clan