- Speak with Sorine Jurard.
- Travel to the target location.
- Retrieve the requested schematics.
- Return to Sorine.
Find the Schematic
Speak to Sorine Jurard in Fort Dawnguard and ask "What can I do to help?" to receive this quest. She will instruct you to travel to a random Dwarven ruin or bandit hideout (this includes locations added by Dragonborn) and retrieve the Dwemer schematic specifying a new crossbow design. The schematic will be located in the boss chest in the location. If it is a bandit area, the note Dwarven Haul will be found in the chest as well.
Once you have the schematic, return to Sorine to receive your reward of a leveled enchanted item. In addition, she will also teach you how to craft an Enhanced Crossbow at a forge (as long as you possess the Steel Smithing perk).
This quest can be completed a further five times (six in total). In addition to a leveled enchanted item, each time Sorine will teach you how to craft a different item. After the Enhanced Crossbow, these will be Exploding Steel Bolts of Fire, Ice and Shock. After the fifth run you will be able to craft a Dwarven Crossbow and Dwarven Bolts (as long as you possess the Dwarven Smithing perk), and Sorine will also begin selling Exploding Dwarven Bolts of Fire, Ice and Shock. After the final run, you will be able to craft an Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow. For more details on the required components for each time see Steel and Dwarven Smithing.
- This quest is not available if you sided with the Volkihar, or if you are currently a vampire.
- With the Dragonborn add-on, if the item happens to be found on Solstheim, there will be no quest marker. Travelling to Solstheim will make the marker appear in the relevant location.
- If you advance in the Dawnguard questline the quest marker may disappear off of the radiant location where the schematics are located. The quest marker will instead be back over Sorine's head and will remain there.
- If you have the Dragonborn add-on, head to Solstheim and activate the quest. This may resolve the issue.[verification needed — Does this work for others? Worked for 2 others; failed for 2 other]
- Rarely, after obtaining the first several upgrades, you will not be presented with the option to repeat the quest and retrieve further schematics. This may be caused by starting the quest Kindred Judgment.
Set DLC1TechXbowBoltsExplodingFireChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowBoltsExplodingIceChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowBoltsExplodingShockChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowDwarvenChanceNone to 0 Set DLC1TechXbowDwarvenEnhancedChanceNone to 0
- You can get stuck with the "Help Sorine with her project to improve the crossbow" and the dialogue item "What can I do to help?" that gives the "Ancient Technology" doesn't appear on Sorine.
- Rarely, the schematic is not in the indicated location.
- Bandit hideouts that were picked to hold Dwarven items for the quest will continue to spawn them (minus the "Dwarven Haul" note) in the boss chest on subsequent trips to said areas, even when the Ancient Technology quests are over.
- The schematic for the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow may appear on the ground or floor next to the boss chest after the Ancient Technology quest is done and the area it was first picked up in respawns. It can be picked up, but is translucent when dropped and will fall through any piece of furniture it is placed on (such as a table).
|Ancient Technology (DLC1RH05)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||Sorine Jurard has sent me to retrieve the <Alias=Item> from <Alias=Dungeon>. She will be able to use it to master new technology to provide to the Dawnguard members.
Objective 10: Retrieve the <Alias=Item> from <Alias=Dungeon>
Objective 100: Return to Sorine Jurard
|255||Sorine Jurard sent me to retrieve the <Alias=Item> from <Alias=Dungeon>. She will be able to use it to master new technology to provide to the Dawnguard members.|