|Jarl's Residence||Highmoon Hall|
|Military Fort||Fort Snowhawk|
|Jarl||Sorli the Builder|
|Steward||Pactur (only with the Hearthfire add-on, see bug)|
Hjaalmarch is a hold in northern Skyrim, with its capital in Morthal. It is initially affiliated with the Empire, though the Jarl laments the war and reportedly co-operates with the Empire only as far as their goals align. It can, however be captured by the Stormcloaks after completing A False Front and The Battle for Fort Snowhawk.
Despite its position just east of the capital of Skyrim, Solitude, Hjaalmarch is remote and isolated. The enormous, festering swamp dominating the northern part of the hold could be a factor, as could be the tall, snowy mountains in the south, and the ancient, cursed city of Labyrinthian blocking a possible trade route to Whiterun Hold.
Hjaalmarch is one of the poorest holds in Skyrim, second only to Winterhold, and is sustained by the Morthal lumber mill and the mining town of Stonehills. Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone takes a hands-off approach to leadership; her people are unhappy with her governance and several will complain openly.
Hjaalmarch is well-known for the salt marshes which dominate the north and central areas of the hold, stretching from Fort Snowhawk in the west to Ustengrav in the east, formed by the River Hjaal breaking into many tiny streams. Much of the rest of the hold more resembles neighboring holds, for example, in the south and east of the hold, the terrain is more resemblant of the Pale along the border with that hold - snowy pine forest and plains broken up by crags around the Stormcloak camp and Ustengrav. The southern half is mountainous terrain above the snow line, although in the west, the mountains give way to the Hjaal river valley, where the climate is more resemblant of neighboring Whiterun Hold. Beyond Fort Snowhawk, in the hold's western extremities lie pine forests and meadows, much like those found just across the Karth River in Haafingar.
Flora and Fauna
The swamp boasts the highest numbers of wild deathbell plants in Skyrim, as well as being the only place to find swamp fungal pods and giant lichen. Other plants include canis roots, mora tapinella, spiky grass and a few scattered nightshade plants. The snowy areas have few usable plants besides the humble snowberry bush, but there are some blue and purple mountain flowers to be found, with the blue variant especially abundant around Morthal.
As for fauna, all manner of beasts roam the swamp; even chaurus might ambush you at night, but more commonly frostbite spiders and trolls lurk between the trees. Of course, mudcrabs are always in abundance, from the swamp to the banks of the River Hjaal. Your typical predators, bears and sabre cats, and their prey, deer and goats, roam the south, but there are also more trolls to watch out for. Passive creatures include large amounts of fish in the shallow waters with dragonflies circling above.
Routes and Pathways
A single paved road runs from the west near Dragon Bridge, past Fort Snowhawk (where the residents may attack you even if you stay on the path) and Morthal, curving north around the Stonehills area before entering the Pale.
The most notable pathway starts southwest of Stonehills and ends in Whiterun Hold between Hamvir's Rest and Silent Moons Camp, passing through the ruins of Labyrinthian along the way. Other paths run from the road east of Fort Snowhawk south to Dead Men's Respite, and north from Morthal to Movarth's Lair. Beyond that the swamp is pathless, however, so beware of getting lost.
All locations in Hjaalmarch with individual map markers are listed. There are a few places without map markers listed for their significance.
- Morthal — The capital city of Hjaalmarch.
Farms, Towns, and Settlements including Orc Strongholds and Inns
- Abandoned Shack — An isolated house in Hjaalmarch, east of Solitude.
- Crabber's Shanty — A small run-down shack on the River Hjaal.
- Meeko's Shack — A run-down shack owned by the canine follower Meeko, who has inherited the home from his unfortunate owner.
- Stonehills — A small iron mining settlement directly east of Morthal.
- Windstad ManorHF — A piece of property in Hjaalmarch, north of Ustengrav and east of the Abandoned Shack.
Camps, including Giant Camps and Military Camps
- Hjaalmarch Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp in Hjaalmarch, located south of Ustengrav and northwest of Stonehills.
- Hjaalmarch Stormcloak Camp — A Stormcloak camp in Hjaalmarch, located east of Ustengrav and west of Mzinchaleft.
- Robber's Gorge — A bandit camp spanning the road from Rorikstead to Dragon Bridge.
- Talking Stone Camp — A giant camp along the River Hjaal.
- Brood Cavern — A small cave high in the mountains southwest of Morthal.
- Chillwind Depths — A medium-sized cave south of Dragon Bridge, on the border of Hjaalmarch and The Reach.
- Forebears' HoldoutDG — A small cave southeast of Dragon Bridge.
- Movarth's Lair — A small cave north of Morthal inhabited by vampires.
- Orotheim — A small cave that is home to bandits intent on poaching mammoths.
- Eldersblood Peak — A mountaintop dragon lair south of Morthal.
- Skyborn Altar — A mountaintop dragon lair east-southeast of Morthal.
- Rockwallow Mine — A small iron mine in Stonehills with a smelter near the entrance. It is owned by Thane Bryling of Solitude.
- Bromjunaar Sanctuary — A hidden location that can be reached by equipping the wooden mask.
- Dead Men's Respite — A medium-sized Nordic ruin southwest of Morthal containing draugr and frostbite spiders.
- Folgunthur — A medium-sized Nordic ruin located southeast of Solitude.
- Kjenstag Ruins — A small outdoor Nordic ruin east-northeast of Morthal, southwest of the Hjaalmarch Stormcloak Camp.
- Labyrinthian — A sprawling Nordic ruin in Hjaalmarch, containing the entrances to several indoor dungeon areas.
- Lost Valkygg — A small Nordic ruin accessible from the exterior of Labyrinthian.
- Mzinchaleft — A large Dwarven ruin southwest of Dawnstar.
- Ustengrav — A medium-sized Nordic ruin northeast of Morthal containing draugr, warlocks, bandits, skeletons, and frostbite spiders.
- Fort Snowhawk — A medium-sized fort just west of Morthal, initially occupied by necromancers and skeletons.
- MyrwatchCC — A mage tower player home in Hjaalmarch, east of Morthal.
- The Apprentice Stone — One of the thirteen Standing Stones scattered across Skyrim.
- The Lord Stone — One of the thirteen Standing Stones scattered across Skyrim.
Landmarks, including Bodies of Water, Clearings, Ships and Shipwrecks
- Great Lift at Mzinchaleft — A Dwarven lift to Blackreach located south of Mzinchaleft.
- River Hjaal — The main river that flows through the center of Hjaalmarch.
- Wreck of the Icerunner — An Imperial ship which will run aground east of Solitude and north of the Abandoned Shack.
- There are three Dragon Mounds in Hjaalmarch.
All quests that are started in or are related to Hjaalmarch (except for radiant quests begun in other holds) are listed here:
Stormcloaks Civil War Quests
- Liberation of Skyrim: Drive the Imperials from Skyrim. (radiant)
- A False Front: Find and deliver some forged documents to the Imperials.
- The Battle for Fort Snowhawk: Take this fort for the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- Kill Lurbuk: Silence a terrible bard, permanently.
- With Friends Like These...: Repay your debt to the Family, and show you are willing to kill on command.
- Kill Maluril: Kill Maluril in Mzinchaleft.
- Tending the Flames: Unveil the truth about a deceitful King and become a member of the Bards College.
- Forbidden Legend: Investigate the forgotten Gauldur Legend.
- Laid to Rest: Investigate a tragic house fire, and discover an insidious plot against the town.
- Rising at Dawn: Track down Falion to rid yourself of vampirism.
- Let Sleeping Wolves LieCC: Stop a necromancer from raising undead wolf minions.
- MyrwatchCC: Locate and enter a mysterious tower.
In addition, many miscellaneous quests are located in Hjaalmarch. They are listed here.