|Morthal, in Hjaalmarch
( ) (lore page)
|MorthalExterior01, MorthalExterior02, MorthalExterior03, MorthalExterior04, MorthalExterior05, MorthalExterior06|
|Shops and Services|
Morthal, supposedly named after the great Nord hero Morihaus, is the capital of Hjaalmarch. It is a fairly small, humble town of little economic or strategic importance besides its small lumber mill. Only the mill, an apothecary, and an inn support its weak economy. Hjaalmarch is one of the poorest of the nine Holds.
Sitting on the southern edge of the Drajkmyr marsh, dry ground can be hard to come by in Morthal. It is often shrouded in a thick fog. Ominous twisted trees grow from the surrounding marsh, giving it a foreboding appearance to approaching travelers. The torches of the town glowing in the fog often give the impression of wisps at a distance. Many choose to steer clear of the place altogether.
The swampy lands immediately surrounding Morthal are rich in deathbells, swamp fungal pods, and giant lichen. Leveled creatures (trolls and a rare occurrence of chaurus in open space) spawn there during nighttime.
Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone is somewhat reclusive; this and her mysticism has fed into a general perception that she is a do-nothing ruler. The Hold is still part of the Empire, but the Jarl cares little for the conflict, claiming to sense bigger things afoot in the world. She only supports the Empire as far as she deems their aims to accord with the good of Hjaalmarch. A number of the people in the town are concerned about the prospect of war. War brings outsiders, and outsiders are not a welcome sight in Morthal. Most would rather the conflict were kept outside their home, leaving them free to continue to live their lives in blissful isolation.
For more information about Morthal, see the lore article.
Quests Starting Here
- Laid to Rest: Investigate a tragic house fire, and discover an insidious plot against the town.
- Rising at Dawn: Track down Falion to rid yourself of vampirism.
|Quest Giver||Giver Location||Quest||Objective(s)||Requirement|
|Aslfur||Highmoon Hall||Build Your Own HomeHF: Construct a house for yourself. (HF)||
||Laid to Rest|
|Falion||Falion's House||Falion's Secret: Investigate Falion's curious activities.|
|Gorm||Moorside Inn||For the Good of Morthal: Deliver a letter to Captain Aldis in Solitude.||
|Idgrod Ravencrone||Highmoon Hall||Thane of Hjaalmarch: Gain the title of Thane of Hjaalmarch. (radiant)||
||Laid to Rest|
|Idgrod the Younger||Highmoon Hall||Delivery: Deliver an item to an associate. (radiant)||
|Lami||Jorgen and Lami's House||Rare Gifts: Do a favor by finding a rare item. (radiant)||
|Sorli the Builder||Highmoon Hall||Thane of Hjaalmarch: Gain the title of Thane of Hjaalmarch. (radiant)||
||The Battle for Fort Snowhawk or Season Unending|
- Chop Wood: Get paid to chop firewood. (radiant)
- Fight! Fight!: Prove your strength by wagering on a fist fight with another. (radiant)
- Just outside of town to the southeast, a Nordic barrow can be found, guarded by a leveled skeleton. Inside, a copy of the Illusion skill book The Black Arts On Trial rests atop a shelf. To the left, the body of a novice conjurer with a dagger in his chest can be found in front of an open tomb, next to a table with a Scroll of Turn Lesser Undead on top of it, and a Staff of Revenants.
- Also outside of town to the northwest, another Nordic barrow contains a Novice-locked chest with a copy of the Lockpicking skill book The Locked Room beside it.
- With Hearthfire installed, you can purchase a plot of land in Hjaalmarch to build a house on.