Helgen before the dragon attack
Helgen is a small town in eastern Falkreath Hold.
Helgen after the dragon attack
It is the location where you begin the game, as you are transported there to be executed. Largely run by the military, the town is dotted with military towers and buildings. Shortly after your arrival, the town comes under attack by the ancient dragon Alduin, and you are forced to escape through Helgen Keep.
If you return to the town after visiting Whiterun, the ruins will be inhabited by a group of bandits.
Unbound, and upon completion will relocate elsewhere in Skyrim.
These people are only in Helgen during the opening quest,
Alduin's attack on Helgen.
These people are killed during
Lokir is killed during the opening cutscene while attempting to escape the Imperial Legion.
- During the introductory cinematic prior to the initial quest Unbound, Ralof remembers Vilod, who used to make mead with juniper berries. If you later return to Helgen, bottles of this mead may be found on the second floor of Helgen Homestead, the partly destroyed inn you jumped into during Unbound.
- Helgen is the default destination for bad AI targets, meaning that bugged NPCs may end up wandering nearby.
- Approximately halfway down the road to Pinewatch, a small group of bandits has set up camp under an overhanging ledge. The only notable items among their belongings are a novice-locked chest and a copy of the Light Armor skill book The Refugees.
- The mead with juniper berries isn't properly enabled during your arrival and will only appear upon your later return to Helgen.
- Vilod and Matlara are left alive after the dragon attack and can be seen wandering Helgen after its destruction.
- Bandits, containers, and items don't have their encounter zone set and will respawn despite being in a "no reset" zone.