Helgen, before the attack
Helgen is a town located within Falkreath Hold, near the Skyrim-Cyrodiil border.
It is the first town that you enter in the game, transported there to be executed. Largely militarily run, the town is dotted with military towers and buildings. Shortly after your arrival, the town comes under attack by Alduin, an ancient dragon, and you are forced to escape through Helgen Keep.
If you return to the town after visiting Whiterun, the ruins will be inhabited by a group of bandits.
Unbound, and upon completion will relocate elsewhere in Skyrim.
These people are only in Helgen during the opening quest,
Alduin's attack on Helgen.
These people are killed during
Lokir is killed during the opening cutscene while attempting to escape the Imperial Legion.
- During the introductory cinematic prior to the initial quest Unbound, Ralof remembers Vilod, who used to make mead with juniper berries. If you later return to Helgen, bottles of this may be found on the second floor of Helgen Homestead, the partially destroyed inn that you jumped into during Unbound.
- Helgen is the default destination for bad AI targets, meaning that bugged NPCs may end up wandering nearby.
- Approximately halfway down the road to Pinewatch, a small group of bandits has set up camp under an overhanging ledge. The only notable items among their belongings are a novice-locked chest and a copy of the Light Armor skill book The Refugees.
- Among other things, the mead with juniper berries weren't properly enabled during your arrival, and only appear later.
- Vilod and Matlara are left alive and can be seen wandering Helgen after it's been destroyed.
- Bandits, containers, and items didn't have their encounter zone set and as a result would respawn despite being part of a "no reset" zone.