|This page or parts of this page were previously transcluded from lore pages per this discussion.
This page should be checked for potential unrelated lore and other information. Please remove this banner when the page has been cleaned up.
|Location||Throughout Skyrim, Sovngarde|
|Primary Skills||Archery, Block, One-handed, Sneak|
|Perks||Reduced Damage 0.5|
|Essential||Yes, Until Dragonslayer.|
|Faction(s)||MQ101AlduinFaction; Used by dragonrend shout|
Alduin, or the World-Eater, as he is known to the residents of Skyrim, is an immensely powerful Dragon, and the main antagonist of the Main Quest. He is depicted as a malevolent force who destroys the world periodically, and the Nords believe that his reappearance heralds the end of time. He is the self-proclaimed First-Born of Akatosh and aspect of Akatosh. His name can be separated into "Al Du In", which means "Destroyer Devour Master" in Dragon Language.
Resurrection of Dragons
During the quest A Blade in the Dark, Alduin resurrects the dead dragon Sahloknir from his burial place, revealing how the rest of the dragons have returned after being slain centuries ago. After this quest, you may get to see the rare occasion where Alduin resurrects another, leveled dragon.
When resurrecting other dragons, Alduin can be spotted from a distance, and more easily heard thanks to his roars. It's easy to distinguish Alduin from other dragons, as he will stay far in the distance, flying around, unlike normal wild dragons (who will fly right to you). Alduin won't leave this location until you approach [verification needed], and as soon as you get close enough, he will say "(dragon name)" then use the shout " ". A new dragon will appear (having been resurrected) and respond to Alduin, after which Alduin flies away and the resurrected dragon attacks you. It is possible to interrupt the resurrection by attacking Alduin, which causes him to become hostile and fly away [verification needed].
- Unbound: Escape Imperial custody and a dragon attack.
- A Blade in the Dark: Prove you are Dragonborn to Delphine by slaying the dragon Sahloknir.
- Alduin's Wall: Locate the prophecy within Sky Haven Temple.
- Alduin's Bane: Exploit the Time-Wound to learn Dragonrend and defeat Alduin at the Throat of the World.
- The Fallen: Capture and interrogate an ally of Alduin.
- Sovngarde: Seek out Alduin within Sovngarde.
- Dragonslayer: Put an end to the World-Eater.
- Alduin has a special passive ability, "AbAlduinInvulnerability" in the editor, which renders him invulnerable to harm so long as he is not affected by Dragonrend (or, as the conditions on the effect detail, "is allowed to fly").
- During Dragonslayer: Put an end to the World-Eater. Dragonborn must deliver the killing blow themselves. Alduin will be unable to attack, and will not resist the final attack.
- If you encounter Alduin during the resurrection of a dragon, he can be hit with any long-ranged attack. However, it appears that he is not actually hit, as no health bar appears. He does appear as hostile at that moment, showing as a red dot on your compass. The red dot will disappear after Alduin flies away again.
- During the resurrection of a dragon, Alduin will occasionally shout, and the sky will darken.
- Alduin has a unique shout called Dragon Storm Call, which is very similar to Storm Call, and causes fiery meteors to rain from the sky.
- If you deal enough damage to him when he is resurrecting a dragon, he will crash land on the ground, then take flight again and fly off.
- Alduin may remark "You may have picked up the weapons of my ancient foes, but you are not their equal!" during the quest Alduin's Bane.
- Alduin is voiced by Daniel Riordan.
- There's a very small chance that Alduin will use Unrelenting Force on you if you try to damage him while he is resurrecting a dragon.
- The version of Alduin encountered in the past during Alduin's Bane (BaseID
4377E), is a static level 100 and boasts 6905 health.
- When encountering Alduin raising a dragon as a random encounter, chasing him off before he completes the resurrection causes the dragon burial mound to become stuck in the 'bonfire of energy' state.
- This can be fixed using the console, at least as far as the visual effects go: look upwards at the 'bonfire', open the console, click on the fire effect and use the disable command. Look at the middle of the dragon mound, click on it, and use the disable command again. This will make both the special effect and the mound cover disappear.|confirmed=1}}
- After learning Dragonrend during Alduin's Bane, Alduin will sometimes be invincible.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.9 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- Escaping the battle by running down the Throat of the World and fast-traveling back appears to make him vulnerable to damage again.