|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
Karth River Forest
|Appears in||Skyrim, ESO|
Hjaalmarch or Hjaalmarch Hold is a lowland coastal hold in Skyrim. Roughly half the hold consists of the Drajkmyr marsh, south of which is the capital and only major settlement Morthal (although Stonehills and some farmsteads lie on the tundra of Hailstone Valley). The region is veined with waterways that empty into the Sea of Ghosts, and the Skyborn Range further isolates the area from the eastern and southern border.
Hjaalmarch is home to the Karth delta, also called the Mouths of the Karth, where the mighty Karth River and the smaller River Hjaal (from whence the hold's name is derived) empty into the Sea of Ghosts through a variety of intricate channels. The Deathbell flower is known to be abundant throughout the swamps. Many ruins dot the hold, including the legendary Labyrinthian. Combined with the fog that surrounds the marshes and the creatures that stalk the land (Wispmothers purportedly originated here), Hjaalmarch is considered one of the more mysterious holds in Skyrim.
Hjaalmarch has the lowest taxes of the nine holds, but it is also the poorest hold.
- For game-specific information, see the Skyrim article.
- Song of the Askelde Men
- The Holds of Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Prima Official Game Guide
- Map of Skyrim
- Aslfur's dialogue in Hearthfire
- Windstad Manor Charter
- Guide to Western Skyrim: Hjaalmarch — Imperial Surveyor Buntara Gravius
- Herbalist's Guide to Skyrim — Agneta Falia
- Events of Skyrim.
- A Minor Maze
- The Wispmother — Mathias Etienne
- Lady Ninetha's dialogue in ESO: Greymoor
- Idgrod Ravencrone's dialogue in Skyrim