|Jarl's Residence||Understone Keep|
|Military Fort||Fort Sungard|
|Housecarl||Yngvar the Singer|
The Reach is a hold in western Skyrim, with Markarth as its capital. It is initially affiliated with the Imperial Legion, but can be captured by the Stormcloaks after completing Compelling Tribute and The Battle for Fort Sungard. It can also change sides as part of negotiations during Season Unending.
The terrain is very mountainous, containing the Druadach Mountains. The far eastern edge of the hold from Broken Tower Redoubt in the north to Fort Sungard in the south is more hilly. The mighty Karth River and several smaller tributaries originate here.
The Reach is home to the native Forsworn, who will attack any outsiders on sight.
Flora and Fauna
The most characteristic flora are the juniper berry bushes which are native to the Reach. Hanging moss, more common to caves, also seems to thrive there. Mora tapinella and sparse populations of mountain flowers are to be found throughout the hold but in the northeast the flowers can be quite common.
All locations in the Reach with individual map markers are listed. There are a few places without map markers listed for their significance.
- Markarth — A major city located in the Reach, near the border of High Rock.
- Understone Keep — An ancient Dwarven keep built into the mountainside, used as a palace by the Jarl of Markarth.
- Markarth Stables — A stable located outside Markarth, opposite the entrance.
Farms, Towns, and Settlements including Orc Strongholds and Inns
- Cliffside Retreat — A small shack located south of Dragon Bridge, northeast of Liar's Retreat.
- Dushnikh Yal — A prosperous Orc stronghold located southeast of Markarth and southwest of Karthspire.
- Karthwasten — A small mining village in the Reach.
- Mor Khazgur — An Orc stronghold in the far northwest of Skyrim, west of Solitude and north of Markarth.
- Old Hroldan Inn — A remote inn in The Reach where Tiber Septim once stayed.
- Salvius Farm — A small farm east of Markarth.
Camps, including Giant Camps and Military Camps
- Druadach Redoubt — A small encampment and cave occupied by Forsworn, located southwest of Mor Khazgur and north of the Shrine to Peryite.
- The Karthspire — A cavern in the Karthspire mountain at the southern end of the Karth River valley.
- Karthspire Camp — An open sprawling Forsworn encampment located northwest of Old Hroldan Inn.
- Reach Imperial Camp — A small Imperial camp situated in the Reach, northeast of Markarth and west of the Shrine to Peryite and Karthwasten.
- Reach Stormcloak Camp — A Stormcloak camp located along the Karth River in the Reach.
- Blind Cliff Cave — A cave southwest of Karthwasten along the banks of the Karth River containing Forsworn.
- Bruca's Leap Redoubt — A small cave inhabited by Forsworn.
- Darkfall CaveDG — A cave located just southwest of the Orc stronghold Mor Khazgur.
- Gloomreach — A medium-sized cave in the Reach containing chaurus and Falmer.
- Liar's Retreat — An underground cellar which is located northwest of Broken Tower Redoubt and northeast of Karthwasten.
- Purewater Run — A small cave south-southeast of Markarth containing slaughterfish.
- Reachcliff Cave — A small cave filled with draugr located northeast of Dushnikh Yal and southeast of Markarth.
- Reachwater Rock — A small cave east-southeast of Markarth and south of Sky Haven Temple, containing draugr.
- Rebel's Cairn — A cave located in The Reach between the Sundered Towers and Bleakwind Bluff.
- Red Eagle Redoubt — A small cave and two exterior camps, one small and one sprawling, all occupied by Forsworn located east of Markarth.
- Runoff CavernsCC — A large Dwarven ruin located in the Reach, west of Lost Valley Redoubt.
- Kolskeggr Mine — A gold mine east-northeast of Markarth.
- Left Hand Mine — An iron mine located in the Reach, directly southeast of Markarth.
- Soljund's Sinkhole — A moonstone ore mine east of Sky Haven Temple.
- ArkngthamzDG — A Dwarven ruin located southeast of Dushnikh Yal.
- Bthardamz — A Dwarven ruin located west-northwest of Karthwasten.
- Deepwood Redoubt — A Nordic ruin west of Solitude and far northeast of Markarth containing Forsworn.
- Dustman's Cairn — An ancient Nordic barrow located in the central tundra of Whiterun Hold. †
- Four Skull Lookout — A small Nordic ruin located between Karthwasten and Red Eagle Redoubt, east of Blind Cliff Cave, containing bandits.
- Hag Rock Redoubt — A small Nordic ruin located south of Markarth.
- Hag's End — A small Nordic ruin with a few magic users present (witches, hags, and hagravens).
- Lost Valley Redoubt — A massive Nordic ruin inhabited by Forsworn and hagravens.
- Nchuand-Zel — A large Dwarven ruin accessed from inside Understone Keep.
- Ragnvald — A medium-sized Nordic ruin north of Markarth containing draugr.
- Reachwind Eyrie — A Dwemer tower southeast of Markarth and northeast of Dushnikh Yal.
- Valthume — An ancient barrow where ancient knowledge awaits and the restless dead still battle.
- The Lover Stone — One of the thirteen Standing Stones scattered across Skyrim.
- Shrine to Peryite — The shrine to the Daedric Prince, Peryite.
- Bleakwind Bluff — A ruined Nordic tower inhabited by hagravens and Forsworn, located northwest of Rorikstead on an outcrop of rock.
- Broken Tower Redoubt — A ruined fort occupied by Forsworn.
- Cradle Stone Tower — A remote tower due west of Bard's Leap Summit, which is occupied by a hagraven.
- Dead Crone Rock — A Forsworn-inhabited Nordic tower located south-southwest of Markarth, just above Hag Rock Redoubt.
- Fort Sungard — A large Forsworn occupied fort located strategically at the crossroads between the Reach, Whiterun Hold, and Falkreath Hold.
- Harmugstahl — A ruined fort located north-northwest of Karthwasten and east of Dragontooth Crater.
- Sundered Towers — A pair of linked ruined Nordic towers inhabited by Forsworn and Hagravens
Landmarks, including Bodies of Water, Clearings, Ships and Shipwrecks
- Bard's Leap Summit — A wooden plank at the very top of Lost Valley Redoubt.
- Deep Folk Crossing — An ancient Dwemer bridge over a weir with structures at either end in the northern part of the Reach.
- Druadach Mountains — A mountain range in western Skyrim serving as a natural barrier to separate Skyrim from High Rock and Hammerfell.
- Karth River — A river flowing from Markarth to Solitude.
- Reachwind Eyrie — A Dwemer tower southeast of Markarth and northeast of Dushnikh Yal.
- Sky Haven Temple — A large mountain top fort that served as the major Blades temple and outpost in Skyrim, now long abandoned and held in Forsworn territory.
- There are three Dragon Mounds in the Reach.
- There are three Shrines in the Reach.
The Reach Quests
Quests that are started in or related to the Reach (except for radiant quests begun in other holds) are listed here:
- Alduin's Wall: Locate the prophecy within Sky Haven Temple.
- Elder Knowledge: Recover an Elder Scroll to learn an Ancient Secret.
Imperial Legion Civil War Quests
- Reunification of Skyrim: Reunite Skyrim under the leadership of the Empire. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Sungard: Take Fort Sungard for the Imperials. (radiant)
Stormcloaks Civil War Quests
- Liberation of Skyrim: Drive the Imperials from Skyrim. (radiant)
- Compelling Tribute: Use a corrupt steward to gain intelligence on the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Sungard: Take this fort in the name of the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- The Taste of Death: Prepare a feast for the Lady of Decay.
- The Only Cure: Slay an apostate worshipper for the Daedra Lord Peryite.
- The House of Horrors: Help Molag Bal take revenge upon a servant of Boethiah. (radiant)
- Mourning Never Comes: Help Muiri get her revenge.
- Recipe for Disaster: Assume the identity of the famous Gourmet in an effort to assassinate the Emperor.
- Kill Ma'randru-jo: Assassinate Ma'randru-jo to complete a Dark Brotherhood contract.
- Locate the Assassin of Old: Find the Dark Brotherhood Assassin.
- Hard Answers: Help translate Gallus's journal.
- No Stone Unturned: Find the 24 gems to restore the Crown of Barenziah.
- Silver Lining: Recover a stolen silver mold for a silversmith.
- The Litany of Larceny: Find items for Delvin Mallory throughout the questline.
- The Forsworn Conspiracy: Investigate a murder in Markarth to discover a sinister plot surrounding the Forsworn.
- No One Escapes Cidhna Mine: Escape from Cidhna Mine!
- The Heart of Dibella: Find a new Sybil for the Temple of Dibella.
- The Lost Expedition: Recover the journals from the expedition in Nchuand-Zel.
- Evil in Waiting: Seal away an ancient evil.
- Forbidden Legend: Investigate the forgotten Gauldur Legend.
- Lost to the AgesDG: Search for the Dwemer's Aetherium Forge.
- Touching the SkyDG: Find and retrieve Auriel's Bow.
In addition, many miscellaneous quests are located in the Reach. They are listed here.