Airships are an uncommon method of transport in modern Tamriel, but have been used by many of the races of Tamriel.
A prominent member of the Mages Guild created a patchwork airship out of Dwemer parts for an expedition to Solstheim, however, the airship crashed into the Isinfier Plains and all the crew died due to the cold and hunger. The ruined remains of this same airship were home to a camp of Rieklings circa 4E 201.
Captain Nym was the captain of an airship (possibly of Ayleid origin) that collected the Star Teeth from the skies during the Merethic Era. However, the airship crashed into Glacier Crawl, in High Rock.
Samar Starlover, a member of the Imperial Guard at Battlespire, had a draconic mount named Dragonne Papré who was capable of flying all the way from Battlespire to the Imperial City, seemingly able to cross the liminal barriers between them. One source indicates that the Empire may have an elite guard who keeps dragons as their mounts, and that Samar Starlover was one of their members.[UOL 1]
According to some tales, ancient Nord heroes could tame and ride dragons with the power of their Voice. The Last Dragonborn is a known dragonrider, flying to Skuldafn on the back of Odahviing. Miraak and the Last Dragonborn, at separate times, rode the dragon Sahrotaar within Apocrypha.
The Welkynars of Cloudrest tamed the native gryphons and used them as mounts. Given the city's central location on the island of Summerset, and with the help of these flying creatures, the Welkynars were able to quickly render aid across the entire realm.
The Royal Imperial Mananauts of the Elder Council was a largely unknown group who were known to travel to Aetherius. They were believed to be a holdover from the days of the Reman Dynasty.[UOL 2] Mananauts have also been known to conduct scholarly research on the various Dremora domains and ranks.
Hot Air Balloons
The Sun Birds of Alinor were Altmer of the Merethic Era who were known to have traveled to Aetherius in ships called sunbirds. They collected genuine celestial mineral that was used to create the great Orrery at Firsthold. They were dissolved due to the untenable expenditures required to reach magic by magicka. Sunbirds have been described as being made of crystal and solidified sunlight; having gem-encrusted mini-trebuchets, fit for sailing, that fire pure aetheric fire; and having banners listing their ancestors all the way back to the Dawn.[UOL 3]
- Airship Captain's Journal — Captain Roberto Jodoin
- Strange Vessel in Skyrim: Dragonborn
- Corpse Preparation
- Glacier Crawl intro cutscene in Shadowkey
- Captain Nym's dialogue in Shadowkey
- Events of Battlespire
- Events of Skyrim
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Cyrodiil — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Starlover's Log — Samar Starlover
- Lord Fa-Nuit-Hen and Tutor Riparius Answer Your Questions — Fa-Nuit-Hen and Tutor Riparius
- Loading screens in Skyrim
- The World-Eater's Eyrie quest in Skyrim
- The Temple of Miraak quest in Skyrim: Dragonborn
- At the Summit of Apocrypha quest in Skyrim: Dragonborn
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: Arena Supermundus: The Tapestry of Heaven — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: Northern Bangkorai and the Mountains — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
Note: The following references are considered to be unofficial sources. They are included to round off this article and may not be authoritative or conclusive.