Frost Giants are a sentient race of huge and sinewy humanoid beasts. They possess five eyes, and have two curved horns decorating their forehead. White, shaggy hair covers their bodies. They are extremely strong and have regenerative abilities, provided to them by their "icy" blue blood, which can be stunted by fire. Frost Giants are elusive and rarely seen on Tamriel. They are called "cousins" of common giants, but are much closer in physiology to Frost Trolls.
According to the skalds of the Bards College, Ysgramor slew so many frost giants that he was covered in their blue blood. The rest of his foes fled the field and frost giants avoided the more populated areas of the province, thereafter becoming much rarer to find. He and his Five Hundred Companions were the first to wear the blue war-paint based on these battles, and modern Nords still wore such body markings. Only three Frost Giants are known to have lived on the island of Solstheim: Guolog, slain by Einarr; Karstaag, killed in 3E 427 during the Hunt of Hircine; and a Frost Giant who was blamed for the unnaturally cold fog which appeared in a valley circa 4E 48 (although it was actually caused by Lord Hleryn Sathil). At least five Frost Giants lived in the secluded Forgotten Vale of Skyrim. They stole the Snow Elf paragons from the shrine of Auriel located there. In 4E 201, the Frost Giants were slain and the paragons retrieved. The spirit of Karstaag was later summoned by the Last Dragonborn.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Prima Official Game Guide — David Hodgson
- Karstaag's abilities in Bloodmoon
- Ysgramor's Chosen Body Marking Antiquities Codex from ESO
- Frost Giants in Dawnguard
- Ysgramor's Chosen Body Marking description from ESO
- Thirsk, a History — Bereditte Jastal
- Hircine's Hunt in Bloodmoon
- Lord of Souls — Gregory Keyes
- Summoning Karstaag quest in Dragonborn