Grindstones are used to sharpen edged melee weapons and reinforce bows and blunt weapons. Sharpening or reinforcing a weapon requires the consumption of an ingot or other object associated with the weapon type. The table below lists most variants and the necessary material(s):
Grindstone Required Materials
- The weapon shown when you interact with a grindstone is always an Iron Sword, even if you don't have one in your inventory. An Iron Sword is also used in the animation when NPCs use it.
- A maximum of three grindstones can be made at any homestead in the Hearthfire add-on: one at a smithing station on the outside, one in the Armory addition, and one in the Cellar.
- Occasionally the graphic for the use of a grindstone may be messed up. In such situations the individual using the grindstone is sitting too far forward or backwards, and the weapon will clip through the stone or will not touch it at all. This is merely cosmetic, and can be fixed by standing and sitting on the grindstone again.
- The audio that plays when using a grindstone may continue when you stop using it. This can simply be fixed by using it again and exiting.
- Rarely, the animation and audio of the grindstone may continue after you (or an NPC) are done using it. The fix is the same as the bug above.