|Region: Ascadian Isles|
Vivec City (often shortened to simply Vivec), named after the god of the same name, is the largest city in Vvardenfell and is situated on its southern coast in Norvayn Bay with Baar Dau floating above. The city is a collection of nine artificial islands; each island is a separate district or canton and is made up of a large multi-tiered building the size of a small town. The many bridges and walkways between these cantons create a maze that could be intimidating for new arrivals. Water is the dominant element in the architecture, present even inside. The entire city of Vivec is considered a holy place, as it is home to the Living God Vivec himself. The city is policed by special guards drawn from the militant order of the Temple, the Ordinators.
Most cantons are generally built of four tiers. The lowest, only accessible from drainage grates or trapdoors, is the Underworks, or the canton's sewer. The Underworks are located on the water-line, and are a nest for criminals, rats, and other undesirables, as Ordinators never venture into them. Above the Underworks, at the level of the main walkways and canals, are the Canalworks, where tombs, homeless paupers, storage rooms, and a few small shops can occasionally be found. The Canalworks of a canton are generally only accessible from the upper levels, or via trapdoor from the Underworks. Above the Canalworks are the Waistworks, filled with shops, clubs, temples, and residences. The top of a canton contains a large domed courtyard known as the Plaza, with standalone buildings rather than doors built into corridor walls. Canton plazas are filled with manor-houses and fine shops, and can usually only be accessed through large doors from the exterior. All of the space within a canton has to be leased from the Temple, and the only Guards allowed to police the area are Ordinators.
Getting There and Around
Bridges connect with the mainland between the Ebonheart peninsula and the Hlaalu Compound, between the north bay region and the Foreign Quarter, and between the east bay region and the Telvanni Compound. Roads lead from the Hlaalu Compound bridge south to Ebonheart and north to Seyda Neen, from the Foreign Quarter bridge west towards Seyda Neen, north towards Suran and the Ascadian Isles, and east towards Molag Mar. Roads from the Telvanni Compound bridge are useful mostly for travelers to Molag Mar.
The North Landing is a fast travel hub located just across the bridge north of the Foreign Quarter. The Silt Strider port here offers fast-travel to Balmora, Molag Mar, Seyda Neen and Suran. A small harbor with connections to Ebonheart, Hla Oad, Molag Mar and Tel Branora is located here as well.
Located on the Plaza level of the Foreign Quarter, Flacassia Fauseius serves Vivec's Mages Guild as a guild guide, and provides transport from the city to the other branches of the guild. Small boats called gondolas, each operated by a gondolier, provide a means of cheap, short distance fast-travel between the cantons.
In Vivec, you have access to all possible services. For more information, see each canton's individual services page.
- Foreign Quarter
- Hlaalu Canton
- Redoran Canton
- Arena Canton
- Telvanni Canton
- St. Delyn Canton
- St. Olms Canton
- Temple Canton
Quests related to any of the cantons are listed in the canton's pages above. More general quests related to Vivec are listed below:
- Vivec Informants: Speak with three informants in Vivec about the Nerevarine Cult and the Sixth House.
- Mehra Milo and the Lost Prophecies: Find Mehra Milo in Vivec.
- Hlaalu Hortator: Persuade House Hlaalu to name you their Hortator.
- Hortator and Nerevarine: Make the arrangements to meet the god Vivec and receive the plan to defeat Dagoth Ur.
- A Friend in Deed: Help a businessman in Vivec squash some local competition.
- Mysterious Killings in Vivec: Solve the mystery of seven recent murders in Vivec.
- An Apothecary Slandered: Investigate the source of some inflammatory leaflets about Aurane Frernis.
- Roland's Tear: Find five of these rare flowers for the alchemist Aurane Frernis.
- Sleepers Awake: Save several people from Dagoth Ur's spell.
- Free the Slaves: Receive a reward for freeing some slaves.
- An Invisible Son: Help a mostly invisible man become more visible.
- The Dwemer's Bone: Help Balen Andrano's failing business by sabotaging his competitor, Jeanne.
- A Rash of Insults: Cure Tarer Braryn who was cursed by Arch-Mage Trebonius Artorius.
- The Bad Actor: Get rid of an annoying fool looking for a troupe.
- Ennbjof's Nord Burial: Give some mazte to Ennbjof to hear the tale of a legendary lost tomb.
- The Short Unhappy Life of Danar Uvelas: Find a missing husband for a lady in the Brewers Hall.
- The Enchanter's Rats: Find the cause of a rat infestation for a Telvanni enchanter.
- For the Love of a Bosmer: Find and investigate the source of a love letter from Gadayn Andarys to Eraldil.
- Liberate the Limeware: Steal a shipment of limeware from a ship at the docks.
- The Price List: Find out how the East Empire Company sets its prices.