Lore:River Horse Bretons
This article is about The Breton tribe. For the Redguard tribe, see Silverhoof Horsemen.
The River Horse Bretons (also known as the Horsemen or the Bjoulsae River Tribes) is the indigenous group of tribal Bretons that live in the Bjoulsae River region. While information on them is scarce, the horse-men are a nomadic, primitive folk that wear fur armor and bone necklaces, much like the Reachmen. As the name suggests, they are known for their horses. Their battle strategies and tactics are described as straight-forward, which is the "way of the horse men", in the book The Mirror.
The people's greatest legacy is the modern-day Kingdom of Evermore, which was founded in 1E 983 in the wake of the Siege of Orsinium, which opened trade through the Bjoulsae River region. According to the Decretal of Fiefdoms by Empress Hestra, the city's earliest leader was "Barron Guy Marde of ye Rivver Banke", an ancestor of House Guimard, the ruling house of Evermore during the mid-Second Era. One renowned horseman was a master of defensive combat, Mindothrax, who fought in many battles until he perished at the battle of Ain Kolur against a rival tribe led by Chief Iymbez. They are known to cremate their dead.
- Another group known as "Horsemen" are tribal Redguards that live in Silverhoof Vale, southwest of Shornhelm. They are an off-shoot of the Yokudans that evidently arrived in northern High Rock almost three centuries prior to the main exodus from Yokuda and its arrival in Hammerfell. There is no known connection between the Horsemen of Silverhoof and the Horsemen of the Bjoulsae River.
- The Mirror — Berdier Wreans
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: High Rock — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Horse-People of the Bjoulsae River — Pocket Guide to the Empire (1st Edition)
- The Royal House of King Eamond — Seneschal Derric Andras of Castle Evermore
- Corpse Preparation v I
- The Horse-Folk of Silverhoof — Doctor Nabeth al-Gilane, Khefrem Academy of Yokudan Heritage