Magical Items Found as Loot, Quest Rewards, or at Magic Item Merchants
The following table lists all magical items found as loot, quest rewards, or at the magic item merchants of the Mages Guild and the School of Julianos. For unique magical items, see the Artifacts page.
|Blazing Item of Fireballs||when used||Area at Range||Fireball|
|Cursing Item||when used||Area around Caster||Toxic Cloud|
|Deadman's Item||when used||Area around Caster||Fire Storm|
|Frosty Item of Ice Storms||when used||Area at Range||Ice Storm|
|Healing Item||when used||Caster only||Restore Health|
|Item of Far Silence||when used||Target at Range||Far Silence|
|Item of Featherweight||when used||Caster only||Slowfalling|
|Item of Force Bolts||when used||Target at Range||Force Bolt|
|Item of Fortitude||when held||Caster only||Fortitude|
|Item of Friendship||when held||Caster only||Charisma|
|Item of Nimbleness||when held||Caster only||Nimbleness|
|Item of Good Luck||when held||Caster only||Jack of Trades|
|Item of Iron Will||when held||Caster only||Iron Will|
|Item of Life Stealing||when strikes||On Target||Vampiric effect|
|Item of Lightning||when used||Target at Range||Lightning|
|Item of Magicka||when held
and a hostile spell
is at hand
|Caster only||Absorbs spell|
|Item of Oblivion||when strikes||On Target||Sphere of Negation|
|Item of Paralysis||when used||Target at Range||Medusa's Gaze|
|Item of Shocking||when used||On Touch||Shock|
|Item of the Orc Lord||when held||Caster only||Orc Strength|
|Item of the Sealed Door||when used||Caster only||Wizard Lock|
|Item of the Wise||when held||Caster only||Wisdom|
|Item of Toxic Clouds||when used||Area around Caster||Toxic Cloud|
|Item of Undeniable Access||when used||Caster only||Open|
|Item of Venom Antidote||when used||Caster only||Cure Poison|
|Item of Venom Spitting||when used||Caster only||Levitate|
|Item of Water Breathing||when held||Caster only||Water Breathing|
|Item of Water-walking||when held||Caster only||Water Walking|
|Item of Wild Fire||when used||Area at Range||Wildfire|
|Item of Wizard's Fire||when used||Target at Range||Wizard's Fire|
|Item, the Protector||when used||Caster only||Shield|
|Leaping Item||when held||Caster only||Enhance Dragonish|
|Never Tiring Item||when used||Caster only||Restore Stamina|
|Shining Item||when used||Caster only||Light|
|Silent Item||when used||On Touch||Silence|
|Torgo's Item||when held||Caster only||Feet of Notorgo|
|Unrestrainable Item||when used||Caster only||Free Action|
- The magnitude and duration of the effect on a magical item depends on the player's level, as it does for spells.
- Enchantments that are applied "when strikes" can only be found on weapons.
- Sometimes enchantments that are applied "when held" can also be found on wands. Since wands can not be held, such a magical item is useless, other than to sell. The enchantments "Water Walking" and "Enhance Dragonish" are often found on wands.
- "Enhance Dragonish" is the only language-relevant enchantment which can be found; all other languages apparently can not be found as enchantments.
- The "Leaping" and "Venom Spitting" items were very likely misnamed by the developers. This error was fixed by a third-party patch.
Durability of Magical Items
To make the most of any magical item found as loot, quest rewards, at magic item merchants, or made using the Mages Guild or Temple of Julianos Item Maker service (see the Enchanting Items page), it is important to know how long it will last when used. As "when held", "when used", or "when strikes" item enchantments are used, the item's health gradually decreases due to this enchantment usage.
The starting health of a magical item depends on the kind of item. Any magical item other than weapons and armors, as well as all artifacts (including artifact weapons and armors, and with the sole exception of the Oghma Infinium, which has only one point of health and will therefore vanish after it is used) always has a starting health of 1500. Thus, although artifacts may have powerful enchantments, they have limited durability, possibly an oversight on the part of the game's developers. However, as noted below for all magical items, only the use of a "when held", "when used", or "when strikes" enchantment will decrease the health of a magical item; therefore, artifact enchantments that only passively increase a skill while the artifact is equipped - e.g. the Chrysamere or the Skeleton Key - will not decrease the artifact's health, regardless of how long the artifact is equipped.
For non-artifact weapons and armors, the material the gear is crafted from determines the starting health of the magical item, regardless of the kind of weapon or armor. See the below table for details on the starting health for each material applicable to non-artifact weapons and armors.
The use of a magical item with a "when held", "when used", or "when strikes" enchantment will decrease its health until the item breaks and it is gone for good. (The health of magical items made with the "Item Deteriorates" enchantment using the Mages Guild or Temple of Julianos Item Maker service will also decrease over time, as the enchantment itself implies; see the Enchanting Items page.) The health of these items will decrease due to enchantment usage as follows:
For "when held" enchantments, i.e. those that are applied as long as the item is equipped, the item's health will decrease when: a) the item is equipped (with a resulting health decrease in the approximate range of 20 to 40 points, depending on the item, each time the item is equipped), b) you wait/rest for a period of at least 7 in-game hours with the item equipped (with a resulting health decrease of 7 points, i.e. 1 point per 1 in-game hour), or c) you are awake in the game world with the item equipped (with a resulting health decrease of 1 point per 4 in-game minutes). (Note: the enchantment effect of a magical item with a "when held" enchantment is re-applied after each instance of waiting, resting, or fast-traveling for more than 6 hours, with the enchantment effect re-applied at a new value within the effect's range of values, if applicable. However, the item's health is not affected by this re-application of the effect.)
For "when used" or "when strikes" enchantments, i.e. those that are applied when an item is used or when it strikes a target, the item's health will decrease by 10 every time it is used or it strikes a target which can be harmed by the weapon's material. In the case of a "when strikes" enchantment, whether or not the struck enemy saved vs. magic is irrelevant; the weapon's health will always decrease by 10 upon each strike. If an item is used, but the spell is aborted before it is casted, the item's health will decrease by 10 as well. (Note: The health decrease of magical items very likely works additively; i.e. two enchantments on an item will consume 20 health per use, and so on. However, since magical items found as loot, quest rewards, or at magic item merchants each contain only one enchantment, this feature is not researched in detail. Non-artifact magical items with more than one enchantment can only be created by using an Item Maker, who is available for members of the appropriate rank at the Mages Guild or the School of Julianos.)
If an enchanted item is a weapon or armor piece, it will still also be subject to normal physical durability loss through combat abrasion. Such enchanted weapons and armors may only be repaired by merchants if the line "magicrepair 1" is added to the Z.CFG file in the Daggerfall game directory.
Quests where Magical Items can be Obtained
- Defamation: Investigate the rumors being spread about a local character.
- The Relic: Retrieve a sacred relic guarded by a lich.
- The Great Evil: Find and retrieve an object of great evil from a local dungeon.
- An Object Lesson: "Liberate" a magical item from a store.
- Giant Killing: Kill a not-so-gentle giant.
- Runaway Pet: Bring back a noble's runaway tiger.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part I: You are tasked to protect a spy for Sentinel.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part III: Capture or execute Lord K'avar on Queen Akorithi's behalf in his hideout within Castle Wayrest.
- Standard Protection: Kill assassins and avenge a dead man.
- Azimuthal Vectors: Help a mage with his research.
- Guard the Guild: Thieves are trying to steal a magic item from the Mages Guild.
- Former Student Part I: Hunt down or befriend a former student practicing unsanctioned magic.
- Former Student Part II: Help the renegade mage find a box within the Direnni Tower.
- Former Student Part III: Help the renegade mage find a lost magical item.
- Protect an Honored Mage: Assassins are coming for an entranced mage.
- A Dangerous Wizard: A powerful wizard threatens all of Tamriel.
- The Vampire's Letter: Deliver a letter on behalf of your vampire bloodline.
- Territorial Battles: Deal with a vampire ancient from a rival bloodline.
- The Libel: Retrieve a document for one of the witch covens.
- Problems with Vampires: Slay a Vampire Ancient for a witch coven.
- A Rare Tome: Obtain a rare tome for a witch coven.
- A Treacherous Gift: Deliver a treacherous gift to a character in a local town.
- An Expensive Purchase: Buy a magic item for a witch coven from a character in a local town.
- Gold Smuggling: Deliver some gold to a character in a local town.
- Forgotten Equipment: Deliver a magical item to a noble's associate.
- The Fourth Man: Act as delivery boy for a noble.
- The Lost Sapphire: Retrieve a sapphire for a noble's ally.
- The Thieves Gang: Exchange a gold brick for a magical item — although some thieves have other plans.
- Business with Vampires: Deliver a holy item to a noble's contact — although some vampires also want the item.
- Missing Prince: Lhotun wants to find his missing brother.
- Blackmailing Prince Helseth: Prince Helseth wants you to deliver a special letter.
- Freeing Medora: Free Lysandus's Lover from Her Tower.
- Concern for Nulfaga: Queen Aubk-i is worried about Nulfaga.
- Stronghold of the Blades: A trap has been laid for the Blades.
- Lich's Soul: The King of Worms needs your assistance to collect a soul.