Daggerfall:A Rare Tome
- Talk to the beldam of a witch coven.
- Head to the town which was mentioned to you.
- Meet your contact there and receive the book.
- Either fight the guard or make your escape.
- Return to the beldam within the time limit and collect your reward.
The beldam says:
- "Yes, as a matter of fact, thou could help us, (player's first name). We are an isolated coven, viewed with fear and hostility in the outside world. If thou would procure for us a certain rare tome being held for us in (town), we would be happy to give you, say, a special (magical item) personally created for you."
The beldam goes on:
- "Wouldst thou? The name of the tome is (book title) -- a very rare book indeed. Even if one were to find a copy, the price would be quite prohibitive. We are lucky, therefore, to have a friend in (town), a (contact's description) named (contact's name) who has stolen a copy. If thou wouldst meet (him/her) at (building), (he/she) will give thee the book. We will expect thee back in (time limit) days. After that time, the book will be of no use to us. May (Daedra Prince) watch thy journey."
The beldam answers:
- "Well, then we shall wait for the next wandering traveler. Our need is not that desperate."
Retrieving the Book
A simple errand: travel to the town named by the beldam and meet your contact in a building there. Speak to the book thief and you will hear:
- "Awright, (player's first name), here's the book. Just watch yourself. The guards are combing (town) for that thing."
As soon as you receive the book, someone shouts:
- "Stop! Thief!"
The source of the shouting soon becomes apparent as a knight appears and attacks you. You can either stay and fight or make your escape; it makes no difference for the quest outcome. Bring the book back to the beldam (you may encounter more knights on your way back) and collect your reward.
After receiving the book the beldam says:
- "Ah, there it is. I hoped you had an opportunity to peruse the page, good (player's first name). You are not likely to find its like again very soon. Well, here is your (magical item)."
If instead the time limit expires before you can return with the book, a message appears:
- It suddenly occurs to you that the witches expected the book at this very moment.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
When you get the tome from the contact your Regional Reputation will decrease by 30 points.
- 20x One Knight every twenty in-game minutes (50% chance) once you have the tome
- This quest can only be initiated by witch covens in towns, covens in the wilderness will never offer it.
- This is addressed by DFQFIX; any coven may now offer you the quest.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Contact's name) is under some suspicion. They say (he/she) consorts with witches."
- "(Contact's name), some say, is a secret witch."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Contact's name) was arrested and burned at the stake. Serves (him/her) right."
- "Poor (Contact's name) never could keep (his/her) mouth shut. Well, 'tis shut now."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "That (Contact's name) was arrested, but they didn't find (book title)."
- "They caught (Contact's name), but (he/she) wasn't apparently the (contact's description) who stole (book title)"
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Oh, hello, (player's first name). I was just reading (book title) -- the copy thou got for us."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "(Book title) is lost, probably forever. Now is not the time to speak. Go, leave (witch coven). Thou art not wanted now."
|A Rare Tome (q0c00y08)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Witch coven) have sent me to (town) to meet a (contact's description) named (contact's name) at (building) about a very rare book. I am to return the book to (witch coven) in (time limit) days or less.|