- Receive a letter and read it.
- Meet and speak to your vampire contact.
- Head to the dungeon where a vampire ancient resides.
- Find the vampire ancient within and end his unlife.
- Collect a pair of boots from his corpse.
- Return the boots to your vampire contact within the time limit for your reward.
Once again, your vampire tribe calls upon you for help. You receive a cryptic notification:
- You have received a letter.
Check your inventory for this letter, which reads:
- Dear (player's name),
- (Bloodline) have a potential
- problem I fear. Come to me in
- (town) soonest.
- In death,
- (Vampire's name)
Head to the sender's town and building, and enter it. Find and speak to the vampire within and be told:
- "You are beautifully obedient, (player's first name). A rival vampire has moved into my territory. You are going to kill it. You should be careful, (player's first name). A vampiric ancient, even one from a tribe inferior to (bloodline), is no feeble adversary. Do not go into battle without preparation. This one is called (vampire ancient's name), and (his/her) new sanctuary is called (dungeon). He is known to be overly proud of his Boots made from the skin of his victims. Bring them back with you. I will expect you back here in (time limit) nights. Do not get yourself killed, (player's first name)."
Storming the Sanctuary
Travel to and enter the dungeon the vampire ancient is currently using as a lair. Find him, destroy him, and loot the corpse for his boots. This is not as easy as it sounds; the vampire ancient has a powerful array of spells at his disposal, so be prepared for a tough fight. When the ancient is vanquished, he does not go quietly, shouting:
- "I have returned from the dead once. I shall do so again. And when I do I will hunt you and (vampire's name) down like the pale worms you are!"
On his body, you will find the pair of boots crafted from the skin of his victims. Take them and return to your vampire contact for your reward.
When you return with the boots, your vampire contact will be pleased and say:
- "Welcome back, (player's first name), my child. Curious thing: I was actually quite concerned about your well-being. What an absurdity -- sentimentality in a vampire of (bloodline)! I bring you the congratulations of (bloodline) elders who bade me to give you this (magical item). Do not think of it as anything so vulgar as pay. It is simply a gift from your family."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
The Vampire Bloodline will always be the dominant bloodline of the region were the quest takes places.
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Vampire Ancient
- If you keep the boots, they will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
- Unused dialogue entries in the questfile suggest this quest was originally designed to be offered by a permanent vampire NPC, in the same way guilds offer quests.
If you ask an NPC about the vampire contact, you may hear:
- "(He/She)'s a very nice and intelligent (vampire's description) at (building)."
- "(Vampire's name) is that nice (vampire's description) you'll find at(building), (direction) of here."
- "(Vampire's name) is a vampire of (bloodline) bloodline."
- "(Vampire's name) is a young vampire of (bloodline) who tutors even younger vampires."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "There's been a lot of activity at (dungeon), but it's been abandoned for years."
- "That (vampire ancient's name) is an aristocrat. Says (he/she)'s cleaning up (dungeon) and (region)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Vampire ancient's name) finally moved out of (dungeon), I hear. No place for an aristocrat."
- "Now that (vampire ancient's name) moved out of (dungeon), (he/she)'s over at the palace a lot."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "It turns out that nice (vampire ancient's name) was a vampire! I had no idea!"
- "Thank (random god) that wonderful (player's race) mercenary killed the vampire in (dungeon)."
|Territorial Battles (p0b00l03)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Vampire's name) of (town) has summoned me to (building) on (bloodline) business.|
|1||(Date): (Vampire's name) has sent me to (dungeon) to slay a vampire ancient called (vampire ancient's name). After slaughter time, I am to take some very special Boots as proof of the kill and return back to (building) in (time limit) nights.|