The Dark Brotherhood is the (un)official Assassin's Guild of Tamriel, and one of several joinable factions.
The Dark Brotherhood is a mysterious organization, often hired to carry out assassinations. Its members have a reputation as maniacs and Daedra worshippers. This is not altogether false; in fact, some describe the Brotherhood as a religious group of sorts devoted to their patron, the Daedra Prince Mephala, and headed by a mysterious figure known only as The Night Mother.
The Brotherhood has been in existence for thousands of years, and in that time, most kingdoms have declared it to be an illegal organization. But it's one thing to make a declaration...
Dark Brotherhood Overview
To join the Dark Brotherhood, you must kill at least three innocent citizens or fifteen town guards. The Dark Brotherhood's quests are usually standard assassinations, such as the execution of freelance assassins (and their employers) or the execution of former members of the Brotherhood who failed their tasks.
|Allied with the Dark Brotherhood|
Your guild rank is determined by a combination of your reputation with the Dark Brotherhood and your two highest skills associated with the guild:
|Rank||Rank Title||Reputation||High skill||Low skill|
The following skills are used to determine guild rank:
Advancing in rank within the Dark Brotherhood affords the following advantages:
|each rank||May bribe the judge. Chance is (Rank + 1) ÷ 20 when accused of murder|
|each promotion||An undiscovered dungeon is revealed on your map|
|Rank 1||Access to Potion Seller|
|Rank 3||Access to Potion Maker|
|Rank 5||Access to Soul Gem Merchant|
|Rank 7||Access to Spymaster|
The Dark Mixers are the Brothers who offer potion making services within the Dark Brotherhood. They allow all members of Slayer rank or higher to make their own potions, provided they have the required ingredients.
Mixers can be found on the first floor and their services are free.
Venom Masters are the potion sellers of the Dark Brotherhood. They sell a random assortment of potions to all members of Journeyman rank or higher. The cost of these potions is influenced by your reputation with the Venom Masters. They can be found on the first floor.
The Dark Slayers are the guild Brothers who offer contracts (quests) to guild members. More often than not, the contracts these individuals provide will not have any particular reward attached, meaning the profit must come from selling treasure found in dungeons. They can be found on the second floor.
The Dark Binders sell soul gems to all members of Punisher rank or higher. Occasionally, you may be lucky enough to find filled soul gems available for purchase. As with other factions, your reputation with the Dark Binders will affect the price of their wares. They can be found on the second floor.
The Dark Plotters are the Spymasters of the Dark Brotherhood, who provide credible information and rumors. These services are free, and available to any member with a rank of Assassin or higher. They can be found on the second floor.
Dark Trainers are the Brothers who offer training services in any skill associated with the Brotherhood. They can be found on the first floor.
The cost of training services is dependent on your character level, 100 gold per level to be precise. As with all skill training, Dark Trainers can only train a skill up to a maximum of 50%. Because the cost of a training session depends entirely on your character level, your reputation with the Dark Trainers will not affect the price of their services.
Dark Trainers offer training in the following skills:
- Critical Strike
- Short Blade
|General Quests and Information|
|Quest Name||Quest Text||Description||Rank Required|
|Quests for non-members|
|The Acceptance Test||Become a member of the Dark Brotherhood.||The acceptance test for the Dark Brotherhood.||Not in Guild|
|Quests for members|
|A Renegade Member||There is a traitor in the Brotherhood. You will perform the necessary accounting on this liability, will you not?||Execute a former member of the Dark Brotherhood.||In Guild|
|No Escape||As you know, (player's guild rank), there is no room for failure in the Dark Brotherhood. Brothers who fail us...||Execute a former member who tried to escape from the Brotherhood's retribution.||In Guild|
|Disagreeable Competition||There is another assassination group budding in (region), which must be crushed before it can bloom. ...||Execute a freelancing assassin and his employer.||In Guild|
|A Renegade Mage||The Mages Guild has come to us for a bit of messy business that's too gross and nasty for them to deal with. ...
We have the Mages Guild for a client again. Seems that one of their bugs has been sniffing too much bat gut ...
|Execute a renegade mage on behalf of the Mages Guild.||In Guild|
|A Fateful Song||Here's a rather amusing accounting that may appeal to your morbid sense of humor. ...||Execute a bard who composed a scandalous song about a local noble.||Rank 1 or higher|
|Unauthorized Absence||The Brotherhood prides itself on always knowing where each Brother is at all times. ...||Discover the whereabouts of a missing guild brother.||Rank 1 or higher|
|A Knight Without Honor||Ah, here's something to appeal to the romantic in you, (player's first name): a caddish knight...||Execute a knight who refused to protect a damsel.||Rank 2 or higher|
|Contract on a Mage||I recognize your expression, (player's first name). You are growing arrogant, egotistical, and vain. ...||Execute a member of the Mages Guild.||Rank 3 or higher|
|An Anonymous Job||We have an anonymous job for you. It happens every now and then that...||Perform an execution at a palace in the region.||Rank 3 or higher|
|Concerns of a Noble||This little excursion is not for just anyone, but I feel ...||Mediate the succession within a noble family in the most "classic" way.||Rank 4 or higher|
|Taking on the Thieves Guild||We have an interesting job available (player's name). A high ranking member of the Thieves Guild. ...||Kill a high-ranking member of the Thieves Guild.||Rank 5 or higher|
|The Veteran||This could be a tough one, even for you (player's first name). ...||Execute a veteran of the War of Betony.||Rank 6 or higher|
Note: Dark Brotherhood quests are offered based on rank only, and not character level.
Guildhall Map Blocks
A guildhall of the Dark Brotherhood is always a two-level orange building, which is marked automatically on the town map once a member enters a town or city for the first time. This building can also be the quest location of many of the various quests that take place in the local town.
- Given the method used to join the Dark Brotherhood, you cannot join them again after you leave, for whatever reason (be it vampirism or being kicked out).
- When you first join the Brotherhood, your reputation with them may be in the negative. Because zero or any positive reputation are the required values for the lowest rank, this can result in premature expulsion if you turn in a quest while your reputation with them is negative. There are several ways of dealing with this problem:
- Completing quests successfully will raise your reputation with the Brotherhood by 5 points. Try to complete enough quests to get back into the positive range before being expelled.
- Even if your reputation is negative, you cannot be expelled unless you talk to members of the Brotherhood. Each month, a negative reputation will get one point closer to zero, at which point it is safe to talk to them again. Because there is no way of checking reputation with specific factions in-game, it may be helpful to use a reputation editor or a similar tool.
- Failing certain quests for other factions can also increase your standing with the Brotherhood, which can rectify the problem. For example, during the merchant escort quest, if the merchant is being pursued by the Brotherhood, turning him over to them will increase your standing with the Brotherhood significantly.
- Certain save game editors such as DFHack can be used to manually raise your reputation with the Brotherhood and its associated factions.
- The reputation cheat can be used to raise your reputation with the Brotherhood to a positive value. Keep in mind that this method will also raise your reputation with every other faction and guild.
- Due to errors in regional placement, if you accept a non-member quest from the Knights of the Hawk in Antiphyllos, the additional reputation gains from certain quests will be credited to the Dark Brotherhood and its associated factions.