There are eight different Temples in the Iliac Bay, each devoted to one of the Eight Divines of Tamriel. In the lore, each temple is associated with a templar knightly order (not to be confused with Knightly Orders) considered to be the temple's military arm, although they are not actually present in the game.
You may only join one temple as of patch v1.04.191. If you try to join another temple by clicking the "Join Guild" button, nothing will happen.
Temples provide benefits and services such as free healing, skill training, and Daedra summoning. Some of the higher benefits can only be used by members with high reputation and rank in the temple. Services that cure diseases are also available to non-members.
Temples and Templar Knightly Orders
- For Knightly Orders, see Knightly Orders.
- The Akatosh Chantry — Temple to the Dragon God of Time.
- The Order of the Hour — The military arm of the Akatosh Chantry.
- The Order of Arkay — Temple to the God of Birth and Death.
- The Knights of the Circle — The military arm of the Order of Arkay.
- The House of Dibella — Temple to the Goddess of Beauty.
- The Order of the Lily — The military arm of the House of Dibella.
- The School of Julianos — Temple to the God of Logic.
- The Knights Mentor — The military arm of the School of Julianos.
- The Temple of Kynareth — Temple to the Goddess of Air.
- The Kynaran Order — The military arm of the Temple of Kynareth.
- The Benevolence of Mara — Temple to the Mother Goddess.
- The Maran Knights — The military arm of the Benevolence of Mara.
- The Temple of Stendarr — Temple to the God of Mercy.
- The Crusaders — The military arm of the Temple of Stendarr.
- The Resolution of Z'en — Temple to the God of Commerce.
- The Knights of Iron — The military arm of the Resolution of Z'en.
All Temples of the Iliac Bay are bound to an imaginary faction called "Generic Temple" (probably for game-internal issues). This order is structured as seen below.
Note: the above factions appear to be shared by the NPCs in all Temples. The remaining types of NPCs are members of Temple-specific factions, and grouped with their individual Temples.
For promotions, only your reputation with the deity of the Temple is relevant.
|Rank||Rank Title||Reputation||High skill||Low skill|
Benefits and Services
|Deity||Special||Donation blessing||Access to library||Heal wounds free and Restore Attributes||Buy Potions||Potion Maker||Buy Magic Items||Item Maker||Buy Spells||Spell Maker||Buy Soul Gems||Daedra Summoning|
|Akatosh||Fast travel: (95 - rankInTemple) ÷ (100 × normalDuration)||Speed||2||1||4||5||7|
|Arkay||Heal diseases cheaper: (10 - rankInTemple) ÷ (10 × normalPrice)||3||0||1||4||4||7|
|Kynareth||Deep breath: Underwater breathing lasts normalDuration × ((rankInTemple + 10) ÷ 10)||Endurance||4||1||3||6||7|
|Mara||Rank added to die roll when talking to members of the opposite sex||Personality||4||1||2||5||7|
|Stendarr||Avoid death: Rank × 2% chance to survive death (except from drowning) in a weaker state||Legal reputation||4||0||2||5||7|
* Magic Item merchants of The School of Julianos also sell Soul Gems at Rank 4, although it was probably not intended. This could be because Magic Item Merchants of Julianos and The Mages Guild share the same in-game resource for their service. Magic Item Merchants of The Mages Guild sell Soul Gems regularly to members once they acquire Rank 4.
The following quests are available from Temples:
|General Quests and Information|
|Quest Name||Quest Text||Description||Reputation Required|
|Quests for non-members|
|The Healing||The best way to get in good with the temple is...||Find a cure for a deathly ill person.||Not in Temple|
|The Spook||You are not a member of (Temple), (player's name). However,...||Perform an exorcism at a haunted house in the region.||Not in Temple|
|The Stolen Item||Normally I would not give work to someone not a member of (Temple). However,...||Find and retrieve a religious item stolen from a temple.||Not in Temple|
|An Errand||Blessings upon you, (player's name), even though you are a heathen...||Deliver a religious item to a priestess in a nearby town.||Not in Temple|
|Quests for members|
|The Haunted House||A house over in (town) is being haunted...||Perform an exorcism at a haunted house in the region.||In Temple|
|The Heretic||(Temple's deity) be with you, (Brother/Sister). You may have heard of (prophet's name)....||Take care of a heretic.||In Temple|
|The Obsessed Child||Would you be willing to assist in an exorcism, (Brother/Sister)?||Assist in the exorcism of an obviously obsessed child.||In Temple|
|The Missing Scholar||(Brother/Sister), one of our clerics, a (cleric's description) named (cleric's name) has disappeared...||Find a cleric who has gone missing in a local dungeon.||In Temple|
|The Insane Priest||(Temple) often delves into mysteries of cosmic proportions,...||Find a priest on a rampage in a local dungeon and bring him back.||In Temple|
|Hunt for Undead *||(Brother/Sister), I have a dangerous mission for you.||Find and kill an undead creature in a local dungeon.||In Temple|
|The Cursed Weapon||(player's name), we have a very dangerous mission for you. The temple...||Deliver a cursed weapon wanted by the orcs to a cleric in a local dungeon.||10 reputation or more|
|The Expiatory Sacrifice||They tell me that you quite loyal to the temple. I need...||Collect an ingredient from a local dungeon.||10 reputation or more|
|A Delivery||Blessings upon you, (player's name). (Temple) needs you to run an errand...||Deliver an item to a character in a nearby town.||10 reputation or more|
|The Relic *||(Brother/Sister), (Temple) needs you for a dangerous mission to retrieve one of the lost (relic)...||Retrieve a sacred relic guarded by a lich.||10 reputation or more|
|The Rite of Atonement||They tell me that you quite loyal to the temple. I need...||Collect an ingredient from a local dungeon.||20 reputation or more|
|The Great Evil||(player's name), my name is (questgiver's name). (Temple's deity) has prophesied a great evil...||Find and retrieve an object of great evil from a local dungeon.||Between 30 and 39 reputation|
|Temple specific Quests|
|The Price of Knowledge||We have but one rule at the School of Julianos -- knowledge is to be shared...||Kill a nightblade who has stolen knowledge from the School of Julianos.||School of Julianos
|Avenge the Dragons||If you are, by chance, looking for work, an easy (random gold) gold pieces...||Kill a member of the Order of the Hour who has attacked the holy dragons of the Akatosh Chantry.||Akatosh Chantry
|The Desecrated Temple||There's a desecrated temple nearby called (dungeon)...||Kill a lycanthrope that desecrated a sanctuary of the Temple of Arkay.||Order of Arkay
|Desired Artwork||One of the more important functions of the House of Dibella is the preservation of great works of art...||Deliver some prized artwork for the House of Dibella.||House of Dibella
|The Arm of Fury||Our order demands retribution on a former member...||Kill a traitor to the Kynaran Order.||Temple of Kynareth
|A Powerful Spirit||...would you be prepared to destroy an unclean spirit that is haunting one of our sacred shrines?||Lay to rest the spirit haunting a sanctuary of the Benevolence of Mara.||Benevolence of Mara
|A Special Plant||Our healer needs some sort of a special plant...||Pick up a plant for a healer of the Temple of Stendarr.||Temple of Stendarr
|The Bounty||...It's a messy little affair, involving punishing a thief...||Hunt down a highwayman who ransacked a caravan of the Resolution of Zenithar.||Resolution of Zenithar
* Quest is only available with the CompUSA Special Edition Patch (see Patches and Official Utilities).
Note: The deity of the Temple which offered the quest is considered the "Main Faction". All other factions aligned with the deity are considered as subgroups.
- Due to map data bugs, some temples may appear on the map as a templar order, for example The Order of the Hour instead of The Akatosh Chantry. They still function as the corresponding temples though.