Daggerfall:The Stolen Item
- Talk to the quest giver of a Temple.
- Ask around town to learn where the thief can be found.
- Travel to that town, ask around to learn the location of the thief.
- Enter the thief's residence and talk to them.
- Make your escape.
- Report back to the quest giver within the time limit.
A Thief in the Temple
The quest giver says:
- "Normally I would not give work to someone not a member of (temple). However, we are short handed right now. A brazen thief stole a (religious item) from the temple. A priest got a good look at the criminal. It was a common street thief, a (thief's description) named (thief's name) who was in the temple on that day, pretending to worship. Track down this thief and return our stolen (religious item), and I will speak well of you in the future."
The quest giver goes on:
"You need to get it back within (time limit) days. By then our knightly order will be able to dispatch a search party and you will have lost your chance."
The quest giver answers:
- "I give you a chance and you spit in my face. Don't come looking to me for favors."
Finding the Thief
Ask around in the current town until someone can tell you in which town you can find the thief. Be aware, you can get true or false information.
- "(Thief's name)... The name sounds familiar, but I can't place it. I'm thinking maybe someone I ran into in (thief's town)? Sorry I can't be more helpful."
- "If you're talking about a (thief's description), (he/she) sounds like a little weasel from (thief's town) who tried to pick my pocket once."
- "A (false description)? Sure, I know (him/her). Lives in (false town)."
Once you know where the thief can be found, travel there. Ask around in this town again until you know the thief's residence. Enter the house (the entrance door might be locked) and talk to the thief, who will say:
- "(Oath)! The temple hired a bounty hunter just to get back their worthless (religious item)? (Oath), it sure ain't worth dying over. Here, take it. Now, we'll see if you think it's worth dying over... Help!! This (player's race) is making off with our loot!"
- (Thief's name) tosses you the (religious item), then vanishes into the shadows. Now to make your escape!
Follow suit, because a burglar and a rogue may show up to get the item back from you. The first one you strike will shout:
- "Intruder! Raise the alarm! There is an intruder in the building!"
Kill the attackers or flee, and return to the quest giver.
When the religious item is back in the quest giver's possession they will say:
- "All praises to you, (player's name). The (religious item) has been restored to the temple. You have earned the favor of (temple god)."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Deity of the Temple||+5|
|Temple and its associated factions||+2|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
|Deity of the Temple||-2|
|Temple and its associated factions||-1|
- 2x One Burglar every fifty in-game minutes (2% chance) after getting the item back
- 2x One Rogue every fifty in-game minutes (3% chance) after getting the item back
- If you keep the item, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, as is usually the case for quest items.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Thief's name) is holed up in (thief's building) in (thief's town). A good place to hide from (temple)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Temple) will never get that (religious item) back it seems."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Thief's name) was brought to justice, and (temple) got their (religious item) back."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Don't think that I forgot who brought us our (religious item) already, (player's first name)."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "Our (religious item) is lost forever and you want to talk. Unbelievable."
|The Stolen Item (c0c00y12)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Quest giver's name), of (temple) in (temple town), has given me the chance to find (religious item) which had been stolen by a (thief's description) named (thief's name). I have (time limit) days to get it back.|