Daggerfall:A Renegade Mage
- Talk to a Dark Slayer in a Dark Brotherhood guildhall.
- Head to the dungeon where your target is hiding.
- Find and kill the mage within.
- Return to the Dark Slayer within the time limit to complete the quest.
Speak to a Dark Slayer, who says:
- "The Mages Guild has come to us for a bit of messy business that's too gross and nasty for them to deal with. A renegade mage needs an accounting fast. Interested?"
- "We have the Mages Guild for a client again. Seems that one of their boys has been sniffing too much bat gut, and has gone off on a rampage. Sound interesting, (player's guild title)?"
The Dark Slayer goes on:
- "Good. Now, this mage -- the name is (mage's name) -- has absconded with a number of magic thingies but the Mages Guild doesn't mind if you take whatever (he/she) has stolen. They just want (him/her) dead. And you've only got (time limit) days to bring in the accounting. You'll find (him/her) cowering down in a nasty place called (dungeon). Get back here with the world minus one rogue mage in (time limit) days. Mephala steady your arm, (player's guild title)."
The Dark Slayer answers:
- "That's disappointing."
Snuffing the Spellcaster
This is a standard dungeon crawl. Head to the dungeon where the mage is holed up and enter it. There may be multiple enemies of this type within, but you must kill the target for the quest to count as a success. When the renegade mage dies, you receive a notification:
- "(Mage's name)'s light is snuffed out. The Brotherhood and the Mages Guild will be pleased."
Return to the guildhall to complete the quest.
Speak to the Dark Slayer after the mage is dead and he will say:
- "So, you put the spark out of that Sparkcaster, (player's first name)? Ah, Mephala is pleased with you, as are her children."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables)
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Mage
- Like most other quests for the Dark Brotherhood, there is no specific reward beyond the loot found during the dungeon crawl.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The Mages Guild denies that (mage's name) is beyond their control."
- "The Order of the Lamp is too official an organization to deal with (mage's name)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Mage's name) has fled across the Bay. Who can say what (his/her) plans are?"
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Mage's name), the common people say, was done in by the Order of the Lamp."
- "Who can say what would've happened if that Mage had been suffered to live."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Greeting and salutations. How may (Dark Slayer's description) assist thee, slayer of mages?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "You have failed your contract with us, so we have failed our contract with the Mages Guild. I have little but scorn for you at this time, (player's first name)."
|A Renegade Mage (l0b00y03)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Dark Slayer's name) of the Dark Brotherhood in (building), (town) has sent me to (dungeon) to deal with a renegade mage from the Mages Guild. I've (time limit) days to put the matter to rest.|