Daggerfall:A Renegade Member
- Talk to a Dark Slayer of the Dark Brotherhood.
- Head to the dungeon named by the Dark Slayer.
- Find and kill the traitor.
- Return to the Dark Slayer within the time limit to complete the quest.
A Wolf in the Fold
Speak to a Dark Slayer, who says:
- "There is a traitor in the Brotherhood. You will perform the necessary accounting on this liability, will you not?"
- "From time to time, the Brotherhood is forced to do an accounting in our own books. A traitor has been found within our order who must be settled. You have been selected to do the honors."
The Dark Slayer goes on:
- "Very good. The traitor has taken refuge in (dungeon) to the (direction). If you have not returned in (time limit) days, your honor will be forfeit and another will take your place. Do not fail us in this, (player's first name)."
The Dark Slayer answers:
- "An ignoble reply. I expected better."
Taking Down the Traitor
This quest is a standard dungeon crawl. Head to the dungeon named by the quest giver, enter it, and find the traitor within. Your target will be an assassin, an acrobat, a battlemage, or a nightblade. There may by multiple enemies of these types in the dungeon, but you must kill the specified target to successfully complete the quest. When killed, the traitor leaves you with some parting words:
- "I am not...the traitor you...think I am. The...real traitor is..." The contract has been fulfilled.
Return to the Dark Brotherhood to complete the quest
Upon your return after the traitor is dead, the Dark Slayer says:
- "Well done. You have reason to be proud."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables)
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: Any of the following
- Like most other quests for the Dark Brotherhood, there is no reward beyond the loot found during the dungeon crawl.
- The town where you accept the quest is not named in your journal. If you don't keep track of this, you may not remember where this was.
- DFQFIX corrects this oversight by adding the town to your log entry.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "That assassin ran off to (dungeon) like the hounds of hell were behind him."
- "(Dark Slayer's name) can't just let that traitor go after what (he/she) did to the Brotherhood."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "That traitor is apparently tougher than (Dark Slayer's name) thought. What an escape."
- "The nightblade has moved north I hear, but the memory still plagues the Brotherhood."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The traitor's story just proves it. You don't play around with the Brotherhood."
- "I never thought the Brotherhood would be merciful to a dolt like that traitor assassin."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "What do you need, o slayer of the traitor?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "I am ill at ease speaking with you. After all, I trusted you to account that traitor, didn't I?"
|A Renegade Member (l0b00y00)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): The Dark Brotherhood has sent me to find and slay a traitor to the guild. The rogue assassin is hiding out in (dungeon). I have (time limit) days to accomplish this.|