- Talk to a Dark Slayer in a Dark Brotherhood guildhall.
- Travel to the town named by the Dark Slayer.
- Enter the weapon smith and kill your target.
- Report back to the Dark Slayer within the time limit to collect your reward.
The Retired Soldier
Speak to the Dark Slayer, who says:
- "This could be a tough one, even for you (player's first name). It's one of the best fighters in all of (region). Are you sure you want this job?"
The Dark Slayer goes on:
- "Somehow I thought you might try for this one. Its your . This mark is no arena gladiator. We're talking about a veteran of the Betony war. Killed 9 men, if the stories are right. Go to (weapon smith) in (town). You'll be able to identify the mark easily because of the limp. A spear in the knee during the war caused it. Get back here in (time limit) days."
The Dark Slayer answers:
- "Don't blame you a bit. This could be a bit too dangerous."
Accounting the Warrior
Travel to the town named by the Dark Slayer and locate the weapon smith in question. The shop will be open from 9:00 to 20:00, so the door will be unlocked during this time. There is a 25% chance each that the veteran will be a barbarian, a monk, or a ranger. However, you should come prepared as there is also a 25% chance the target will instead be a Vampire Ancient.
Enter the shop and engage your target in battle. If human, the veteran growls when hit:
- "Do not think me a cripple, just because I have a limp. I'll still tear you limb from limb!"
If you are facing a Vampire Ancient, a thought instead races through your head:
- This isn't a man! It's a vampire!
When your target dies, you hear his or her last words:
- "You have succeeded...where all...the soldiers in the...war of Betony failed." The contract has been fulfilled.
Return to the Guildhall to complete the quest.
When you report back after a successful kill, the Dark Slayer says:
- "What a battle! I heard about it already. Street gossip is faster than a horse you know. Here's the (random gold) gold pieces for the job, (player's first name)."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables)
- Due to an oversight, the town where you accept the quest is not named in your journal. If you aren't keeping track of this information, you can potentially fail the quest simply by not being able to return for your reward.
- DFQFIX adds a line to your quest log which keeps track of your town of origin.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Such a shame, what's happening in Daggerfall."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I hear the queen is pregnant. At least what everyone is saying."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Did you hear about that war hero? Killed in a duel. What a shame."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "You battle with that war hero is still being told (player's name)."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "You failed in your contract to kill the war hero. The brotherhood never forgets failure."
|The Veteran (l0b60y10)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): My contract for the Dark Brotherhood is a war hero at (weapon smith), in (town). The deed must be done in (time limit) days.|