Daggerfall:An Expensive Purchase
- Talk to the beldam of a witch coven.
- Head to the specified town.
- Meet your contact there.
- Purchase a magical item for 1000 gold.
- Return to the beldam within the time limit and collect your reward.
The beldam says:
- "Thou art friend to (witch coven), this we know. But to help thee, a spell must be woven, a spell that first must destroy before it createth. Wilt thou bring to us a (magical item) for our brew, so thou might be blessed by its ruination?"
The beldam goes on:
- "The (magical item) we need is held by (contact's faction). We require it before the day has dawned (time limit) times. (Contact's faction) can be found in (town). Ask after (contact's name). Let the gods and spirits guide thy feet, (player's first name)."
The beldam answers:
- "Too employed art thou to do this task, even knowing its importance? Unfortunate for (witch coven), and unfortunate for thee, (player's name)."
Finding the Missing Ingredient
This quest is quite simple. Travel to the town the beldam sent you to, ask around until you find your contact's location, enter the building and speak to them. The magical item the witches want to purchase can be had for 1,000 gold. You must have this amount in gold pieces, as the contact will not accept letters of credit. If you are short, the contact will say:
- "I ain't givin' up this (magical item) for less than 1000 gold pieces. And I'm only willin' ta do that for (witch coven)."
If you don't have the gold, you must return when you do. If you have the gold, the contact accepts it as payment for the item and says:
- "The (magical item) you want? Yours for a thousand. Very good, here you go."
Head back to the beldam with the magical item in time and collect your reward.
Upon returning to the Coven with the magical item, the beldam says:
- "Ah, there is the (magical item) we need for our spell. Quickly, sisters rend it and rip it and boil it in a covered tub. Here have we a lump of (gem) for thee, (player's name), to thank thee for thy speed and valor."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
- If you keep the magical item, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Remember that time when the Witches transformed our old (ruler's title) into a snail?"
- "The only thing worse than meeting (witch coven) is invoking their ire."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I heard a howl in the woods last night. I'd say the Witches are on a rampage."
- "Smell that sour smell in the breeze? That means (witch coven) are angry."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "They say (witch coven) have been celebrating the completion of some scheme."
- "You can get drunk on the smell in the air. A blessing from happy witches."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Dost thou like thy (gem), (player's first name)? It suits thee, I think."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "Hast thou forgot the (magical item)? (Oath), 'tis too late now. But the (witch coven) art disappointed, (player's first name). Truly, we are."
|An Expensive Purchase (q0c20y02)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Witch's name) of (witch coven) has sent me off to get a (magical item) held by (contact's faction), by a (contact's description) named (contact's name) in (town). I have (time limit) days to get the (magical item) and get back to (outdoor coven/town).|