Daggerfall:Protect an Honored Mage
- Talk to the Guildmagister at a Mages Guild hall.
- Guard the mage for three hours, killing any attackers who show up.
- Once the three hours have passed, you will receive a notification and your reward.
Speak to the Guildmagister, who says:
- "I am (Guildmagister's name), servant to the mighty (mage's name). I have been instructed to find guild members to protect (him/her) while (he/she) lies in a spell trance. (Mage's name) suspects that a rival of (his/her) may send assassins to slay (him/her) while (he/she) is helpless. (He/She) will give you an ensorcelled (magical item) if the assassins are stopped. Will you take up this quest?"
- "It is a very great honor, my dear (player's first name), to be selected to aid the famous (mage's name), whom I trust you have heard of before. Yes, (he/she) has specifically asked for you to guard (him/her) while (he/she) sleeps. Obviously, a mage of such standing has enemies jealous of (his/her) enormous power. I trust you will accept this honor?"
The Guildmagister goes on:
- "As I expected. (Mage's name) is just beginning his three hour trance, so you must guard The Mages Guild during that time and protect him while he is vulnerable. At the end of his trance, he will be transported to the Aetherius. Once he is safe, the Guild will send someone with your reward."
The Guildmagister answers:
- "Hmmm. Guild members are normally more helpful. I am sure (mage's name) will remember this."
The three-hour time limit begins as soon as you accept the quest. The mage you are tasked to protect appears somewhere inside the guild hall, so either stand around or loiter until the attackers show up.
When the attack begins, three nightblades enter the Mages Guild. Upon attacking them, one says:
- "Stand aside, apprentice whelp! We mean to cut down (mage's name) before he can awaken. Move or we'll cut you down too."
The ensuing fight should not be too difficult unless your level is low. Once the nightblades are dead, loiter for another two to three hours until you receive the quest ending message. The corpses of the three attackers will vanish once the quest ends, so be sure to loot them while you can.
Do not speak to the mage you are guarding. This will break the trance and you will be met with the following:
- "Fool! You should know better to disturb a mage in a spell trance. You shall pay for this! Leave this guild hall now. I will bring this matter before the Circle."
At this point, you have failed the quest and the mage becomes aggressive and attacks. If you retaliate, the mage lays out the consequences of fighting:
- "If you kill me, you will be thrown out of the Mages Guild! Leave now or suffer the consequences."
If you ignore this warning and kill the mage, you lose a considerable amount of reputation with the Mages Guild. Additionally, the Guild will rally to defend their fallen member by sending battlemages after you, who shout when you engage in battle:
- "Alert the Archmagister! This (player's race) assassin has killed (mage's name)! Bar the doors! To arms, to arms!"
The Guild will also send hired minions to kill you for the next week.
When you have completed the assignment, you receive the following message:
- A young woman in deep blue robes bows low before you.
- "The Guild sends its compliments on a job well done. (Mage's name) is most grateful. Here is the (magical item) (he/she) promised."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
If you disturb the mage during his/her trance you will lose reputation as seen below.
If you kill the mage, you will lose additional reputation as seen below.
- Three Nightblades 55 in-game minutes after the quest has started
- One Mage if you talk to the mage you are guarding
- 5x One Battlemage every two in-game minutes (50% chance) after you have killed the mage
- 10x Two Assassins every 25 in-game minutes (10% chance) after you have killed the mage
- 10x One Knight every 30 in-game minutes (10% chance) after you have killed the mage
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Mage's name) is a legend in (town)."
- "(Mage's name) has been resting after casting a powerful spell."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Something happened to (mage's name) while (he/she) slept. I think (he/she) may be dead."
- "(Mage's name) disappeared. No one knows if (he/she)'s alive or dead."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Mage's name) awoke after (his/her) long sleep, good as new."
- "(Mage's name) was attacked while (he/she) slept, but (he/she) was defended by a guard."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "For what you've done for (mage's name), of course, I'm happy to help you."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "(Mage's name) has disappeared, and you were to guard (him/her), (player's first name). I have nothing to say to you. At least, nothing nice."
|Protect an Honored Mage (n0b20y02)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I agreed to protect (mage's name) at the (Mages Guild) while (he/she) lies helpless in a trance. I must guard (him/her) for 3 hours starting immediately.|