- Talk to the Fighter Quester of a Fighters Guild.
- Head to the building in town the Fighter Quester mentioned.
- Find a note near the client's dead body and read it.
- Ask around to learn the Dark Brotherhood member's location.
- Talk to the Dark Brotherhood member and kill the enemies that show up.
- Wait until you receive a letter from the client's daughter.
- Talk to the client's daughter and kill the assassins who show up.
- Take the daughter to the hideout she mentions within the time limit for your reward.
Speak to the Fighter Quester, who says:
- "How are you, (player's first name)? If you need work, I've got somethin' for you. Standard protection job. Interested?"
The Fighter Quester goes on:
- "All right. The client's name is (client's name), over at (client's house) just up the street from here. He wants you over there right away. Seemed very agitated, you know the type. He'll give you all the details when you get there."
The Fighter Quester answers:
- "Sure, you're lookin' for more high class work these days, right?"
Meeting the Client
Ask around to locate the building where the client lives; it will be in the same town you received the quest in. Enter the building, and you find the client lying dead on the floor with a note on his corpse. However, there are more pressing matters; you will be attacked by the party of assassins who slew your client, so defend yourself against them. Take care, as these assassins are not above using poison. Hit one, and be told:
- "Back off, mate, or we'll do you the same way we did (client's name) over there."
After you kill the attackers, retrieve the note from the client's corpse, which says:
- This is what happens
- to people who don't
- listen to my warnings.
- (Assassin's name)
Ask around about the name on the note, and eventually someone will say one of the following:
- "(Assassin's name) lives in (Assassin's town), I think. (He/She)'s always hanging around with sinister types, though, so don't go looking for (him/her) unless you're looking for trouble."
- "(Assassin's name) hangs around in (assassin's town), mainly."
Travel to this town and ask around until you are given the name of the building the assassin calls home. Enter the building; your quarry will be wearing the garb of a Dark Brotherhood member. Speak to the assassin and be told:
- "Yes...? Wait, you're that Fighters Guild musclehead poor old (client's name) thought could protect him, aren't you? Who let this (player's race) in here?!"
The Brotherhood member will then transform into a nightblade and attack you along with several assassins. After you have disposed of your attackers, the trail grows cold.
The Client's Daughter
Roughly 10 to 21 days after killing the Dark Brotherhood assassins, a courier approaches:
- A dusty courier flags you down. "(Player's name)? Thank (random god), at last. This letter is for you."
Check your inventory to find a letter. It reads:
- Dear (player's name):
- My name is (daughter's name), daughter
- of (client's name). When I heard of your
- heroic action in avenging my father's
- death, I wanted to thank you myself.
- I would be grateful if you could come
- see me, if you have time.
- (Daughter's name)
- (daughter's residence)
- (daughter's town)
Travel to this town and find the building named in the letter. Enter and find the daughter. Talk to her and she runs to your side, shouting:
- "(Player's name), look out! It's a trap!"
Four assassins will spring from the shadows to attack you, saying:
- "You should spend as much time sharpening your wits as you do sharpening your blade, (player's name). Nothing is simpler than laying an ambush for you Fighters Guild thugs."
Kill the assassins and leave the house with the daughter. As you exit, she says:
- "Thank you from rescuing me from those assassins. If you could get me to (safe house) in (safe house's town), I can make my escape from (region) on my own from there."
Escort the daughter to her hideout. When you enter it she will say:
- "I don't know how I can thank you for saving my life, as well as avenging my father's death. Please accept this (magical item). It belonged to my father, and I would like you to have it."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables.)
If you kill the nightblade you encounter during this quest, you will gain/lose additional reputation according to the table below:
|People of Sentinel||+10|
|Sentinel's associated faction||+5|
|Dark Brotherhood's associated factions||-8|
- 4x One Assassin every two in-game minutes once you enter the client's house
- 5x One Assassin every three in-game minutes after you speak to the Dark Brotherhood member
- One Nightblade one in-game minute after you speak to the Dark Brotherhood member
- Four Assassins one in-game minute after you speak to the client's daughter
- The time limits for this quest vary depending on the distance between the towns the quest takes place in.
|Standard Protection (m0b21y19)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): The Fighters Guild of (guild's town) has sent me to (client's house) to meet with a client, (client's name), who is in need of some protection. (Client's name) will give me the full details himself.|
|1||(Date): I was too late. I surprised the assassins at (client's house), but (client's name) was already dead.|
|2||(Date): I received a note from (daughter's name), who says she is (client's name)'s daughter. She asked me to come visit her at (daughter's residence) in (daughter's town) if I get the chance.|
|3||(Date): I went to meet (daughter's name), but it turned out to be an ambush. I fought my way free, and am now on my way to (safe house) in (safe house's town) with (daughter's name).|