Daggerfall:Guard the Guild
- Talk to the Guildmagister at a Mages Guild hall.
- Guard the Guild Hall from 00:00 from 03:00.
- Repel all thieves.
- Talk to the Guildmagister after 03:00 and collect your reward.
Speak to the Guildmagister, who says:
- "The Mages Guild is in need of someone to guard the magical (magical item) tonight. Is it feasible that you could do it for us? There's a (gem) in it for you."
- "The Guildhall -- how should one put this? In life, I think you'll agree, there are always some people who just ... well, the Guild has always stood for, or, rather, had problems with ... Listen, young (player's guild rank), we need a guard. Will you do it?"
The Guildmagister goes on:
- "Be at the Mages Guild by midnight. Your period of guardianship will last until 3:00 in the morning."
The Guildmagister answers:
- "No problem. There are always other guild members looking for work."
Protect the Object
Go to the local Mages Guild before 00:00, the guildhall will be open 24 hours per day during this quest and won't close at 23:00, even if you are not at rank 6. Guard the guildhall from 00:00 to 03:00 and kill all thieves that may show up, loiter until they appear. When you hit a thief for the first time, you will hear the following:
- "Lookee here boys. A guard. Gee, I'm all scared and shaking. Lets leave the tongue on the door as a warning not to mess with the thieves guild. Get him!"
You must kill at least two of them to complete the quest successfully. Talk to the Guildmagister past 03:00 and collect your reward from him.
It is not required to do so, but you can pick up and use the magical item you should guard at will between 00:00 and 03:00 as long as you stay in the guildhall. But you must not leave the building with the item. In this case, and if you still carry the magical item after 03:00, the guild will assume you have stolen it and will send some knights after you to kill you. When hit, the first knight will shout:
- "I claim bounty on the thief and traitor to the Mages Guild."
In addition you will lose reputation with the Mages Guild. If you can avoid the knights for three days, after you have taken the item, it will remain in your inventory, but the quest will count as failure. As long as you are still at the guildhall you can drop the magical item anytime.
When you have guarded the magical item successfully the Guildmagister will say:
- "Well done, (player's first name). Those thieves didn't stand a chance against you. Here, take this (gem). It's really the least we can do."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
If you leave the guildhall with the magical item, or still carry it after 03:00, you will lose additional reputation as seen below.
- One Thief eighty-two in game minutes after you start guarding the magical item
- One Thief eighty-three in game minutes after you start guarding the magical item
- One Thief eighty-five in game minutes after you start guarding the magical item
- One Thief one-hundred in game minutes after you start guarding the magical item
- 5x Four Knights every sixty in-game minutes (10% chance) once you leave the guildhall with the magical item
- If you keep the magical item, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
- According to the questfile, your reward is listed as a "potion," but the actual reward is always a gemstone.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The thieves must think that (magical item) in the Mages Guild is very valuable."
- "The thieves have been threatening to steal the Mages Guild's (magical item)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The thieves finally got that (magical item) after all."
- "The Mages Guild should've got real guards. That's why they lost the (magical item)"
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Those thieves aren't going to try to get that (magical item) again, I bet."
- "The thieves who tried to get that (magical item) didn't expect a real guard, I bet"
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "How are you, (player's first name)? Found any use for that (gem) yet?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "The (magical item) is gone, but you're here? That's hardly an equal exchange, I think. Leave me, (player's name)."
|Guard the Guild (n0b10y03)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I agreed to guard a magic (magical item) at the Mages Guild of (town). I have to be there between midnight and three.|
|1||(Date): I couldn't resist it. I took the (magical item) I was supposed to guard. They'll be after me for sure.|