Daggerfall:Business with Vampires
- Talk to a Noble.
- Head to the town named by the noble.
- Be prepared to be pursued by vampires.
- (Optional) Travel to meet a Vampire NPC and hand over the holy item for an alternate reward.
- Give the holy item to the noble's contact within the time limit and collect your reward.
The Holy Item
Speak to a noble, who says:
- "(Player's first name), always a pleasure to see you, my dear friend, especially when I need help. I need to get this (holy item) to my contact in (town), but I've received word that a vampiric tribe does not want my courier to get through. You're the only person I can think of who might get it through. Will you try?"
The noble goes on:
- "Ah, marvelous. Here's the (holy item). Now, (noble's contact) needs to have it in (temple) in (time limit) days. Look for a (contact's description). You can't miss (him/her). And don't get yourself killed in the process. Good luck and thank you."
The noble answers:
- "Really? Too busy, perhaps. That is a shame."
The Holy and Unholy Paths
Take the holy item and head to the town mentioned by the noble. Until you have delivered the item, a group of vampires led by a vampire ancient will pursue you every day from 17:31 to 05:49, unless you are in fast-travel mode for the entire night. This makes it difficult to rest at night for the duration of this quest. Once you have reached your destination, meet the noble's contact in the temple in town. Give her the holy item, you will get your reward and will be rid of your vampire pursuers.
If you slay the Ancient vampire, you will find following note on his corpse:
- (Vampire Ancient's name),
- That thrice-damned (noble's name) has finally
- acquired the (holy item) (he/she) has been looking for,
- and is sending it over to (noble's contact).
- You know as well as I that (regional bloodline)
- cannot allow it to arrive. (Noble's name)
- is expecting us to try to stop (him/her), so (he/she) is looking
- for a (player's race) named (player's name) to act as courier.
- Do not underestimate this one -- (player's first name) has
- quite a reputation. Bring the (holy item) to me at
- once -- I will wait for you at (residence) in
- (new town).
- Yours in death,
- (Vampire NPC's name)
If you wish, you can travel to the town mentioned in the note and find the residence by asking around in town. Once you know the house's location, gain entrance and you will be greeted by a Vampire NPC. Talk to him/her and you will be offered a deal:
- "So, you must be the doughty (player's name). Welcome to my humble abode. When I heard that (vampire ancient's name)'s attack on you failed, I wondered if you might look me up. Let me introduce myself -- I am (vampire contact's name) of (regional bloodline), the most ancient and respected of the vampire bloodlines. Now, I realize that you have agreed to deliver a certain (holy item) to that notorious executioner (noble's contact). (Regional bloodline) would very much prefer if you made that delivery to me instead. Purely a semantic difference, don't you agree? Especially since we are willing to pay you (random gold) gold plus a magical (magical item) as a bonus. What do you say to that most generous offer?"
Take the offer, and the vampire says:
- "Marvelous. The up and coming (player's race) adventurer makes a wise change of allegiance. (Noble's name) won't be pleased, but (he/she) had best learn to love disappointment. It has been a distinct pleasure doing business with you. Perhaps you and I will meet again on a more...intimate...occasion."
Refuse, and be told:
- "Your loyalty to (noble's name) is touching, but quite unfortunate for both of us. You can let yourself out, (player's first name). Oh, by the way, don't sleep too soundly at night. (Regional bloodline) always settle their debts."
If you agree to the offer, you will get the promised rewards and gain a reputation boost with the regional vampire bloodline. However, since you can no longer complete your objective you will fail the quest once the time limit expires. If you don't give up the item, the vampire NPC will be disappointed; this will cost you reputation with the vampire bloodline. Additionally, the vampires will continue to pursue you until the quest is over.
When you deliver the holy item to the temple, the noble's contact will be pleased and say:
- "Ah, good to see you (player's first name). And the (holy item) too. Excellent. Those nightstalkers were wise to try to keep this out of my hands. Here's a little gold for your trouble. Take care of yourself."
If you were attacked by one of the vampires, there is a 25% chance you will find a map on her corpse. Take it and a message appears:
- The parchment shows the location of Kykos Coven in Dak'fron, whatever that is. You quickly mark it down on your map.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Noble you got the quest from||+5|
|Noble's associated factions||+2|
If the holy item is not delivered to the noble's contact in time, you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
|Vampire Bloodline of the region||Gave the holy item to the Vampire NPC||+10|
|Vampire Bloodline of the region||Did not give the holy item to the Vampire NPC||-5|
Daily from 17:31 to 05:49 until the quest is over or the holy item is given to the vampire contact:
- One Vampire Ancient
- 8x One Vampire every ten in-game minutes (25% chance)
- The 25% chance that a normal vampire will have the map to the Kykos Coven is true for the entire contingent of normal vampires. Thus, if the very first vampire has no map, none of the following ones will have it, and if the very first vampire has a map, all of the following ones will have it.
If you ask an NPC about the noble's contact:
- "(Noble's contact) has been leading the crusade to drive the vampires out of (region)."
- "Sometimes I wonder if all the people (noble's contact) has burned at the stake were really vampires. It's hard to believe there are so many around."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "They're doing some research into some vampiric matters in (temple), I hear."
- "(Noble's contact), one of the greatest of the vampire hunters, has joined (temple)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Someone found a very lovely (holy item) around here recently."
- "I hear (noble's name) is mad as hell at some (player's race) adventurer."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "It seems safer to walk the streets in (region) I've noticed."
- "Sure vampire attacks are becoming rarer. But it's not time to get cocky yet."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "I guess the bloodsuckers learned their lesson, eh, (player's first name)? What can I do for you?"
- "I understand that the delivery went through. Of course, no surprise to me."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "The vampires proved too much, (player's first name)? Don't feel bad -- they are a powerful lot. Now is not a good time to speak."
|Business with Vampires (r0c60y24)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Noble's name) wants me to deliver a particular (holy item) to (his/her) contact in (town), a shaman named (noble's contact) at (temple). The local vampires apparently do not want me to complete the delivery, but I need to get the (holy item) to (town) within (time limit) days or my reward is forfeit.|