Daggerfall:The Thieves Gang
- Talk to a Noble.
- Head to the town named by the Noble and locate the contact.
- Give the gold brick to the noble's contact and receive a magical item.
- Head back to the noble, fend of an attack on the way.
- Read the letter found on the corpses.
- Travel to the town the thief is staying.
- Confront the thief and take the magical item from his body.
- Return the magical item to the noble within the time limit for your reward.
No Simple Delivery
Speak to a noble, who says:
- "I need someone to bring a certain item to a contact of mine in (town). You will receive an item in return. If you bring that item back to me, I will happy to reward you with (random gold) gold pieces. Do you agree?"
The noble goes on:
- "Very good. Take this bar of gold and bring it to a certain (contact's description) called (contact's name) in a place called (building) in (town). You will need to move quickly. (Contact's name) isn't in the habit of waiting around for laggard couriers. Very well, good luck to you, (player's first name). I will expect you back in (time limit) days."
The noble answers:
- "No? What a shame. I was prepared to be quite generous."
Travel to the town the noble mentioned and meet your contact there. The building may be locked depending on what type it is and the time, so plan accordingly. Find the contact inside and hand over the gold bar. The contact will say:
- "Marvelous, (player's first name). I do adore gold, don't you? Well, you'll get your share once you've returned this particular (magical item) to (noble's name). I hope you remember the way back to (noble's town)."
Receive a magical item in exchange and make your way back to the noble. Shortly after you have obtained the item, you will be attacked by some nightblades. As you strike the first opponent, a message appears:
- As you fend off your assailant, you feel something brush against you from behind. You glimpse a figure running away before your attention is forcibly returned to keeping yourself alive.
Deal with any attacking nightblades and search the corpses until you find one carrying the following note:
- (Thief's name),
- The mark is a (player's race) named (player's name),
- who will pick up a (magical item) from
- (building). Bring the (magical item)
- to me. The courier is of no importance,
- dead or alive.
- (Ringleader's name)
Ask around about the name on the note until you are given the name of a town. Travel there and obtain the location of the building where the ringleader of the gang is staying. Gain entrance to the locked building and confront the thief within, who says:
- "(Oath), who are you and how did you get in here?! You must be that damned courier of (quest giver)'s! I knew I should have had (thief's name) kill you. My soft heart, always getting me in trouble ... Guards! Kill this intruder!!"
A group of rogues will appear for reinforcement once you attack their leader. Take care of your opponents and loot the ringleader's corpse for the stolen item. Additionally, there is a 25% chance the ringleader carries a parchment (see bugs); reading this gives the message:
Return the stolen magical item to the Noble to receive a generous reward including another magical item.
If you bring back the magical item in time, the noble will be pleased and say:
- "Excellent, (player's first name), you've returned with my enchanted (magical item) as promised. I heard that you ran into some trouble on the road, and I was beginning to worry that you were lost to us. As a token of my appreciation for a job well done, I am adding a magic (another magical item) to the (random gold) gold I originally promised. I am sure we will make use of your services again in the near future. Thank you."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Noble you got the quest from||+5|
|Noble's associated factions||+2|
If the gold brick or the magical item are not delivered to their destinations in time, you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
If you attack the thief in his hideout you will lose reputation as seen below.
|Thieves Guild's associated factions||-10|
- 3x Two Nightblades every ten in-game minutes as soon as you get the magical item from the noble's contact
- One Thief
- 6x One Rogue every two in-game minutes (50% chance) as soon as you attack the Thief
- When offered this quest, it may at first appear to be Gold Smuggling, as both have the same basic objectives and almost identical dialogue in the beginning. The differences become readily apparent when you deliver the gold.
- If you keep the gold brick or the magical item given to you by the noble's contact, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
- Due to a bug in the questfile, the map to the Coven of the Tide will not reveal the location of the coven on your map.
- Additionally, while the dialogue says the coven is in Totambu, it is actually located in Myrkwasa.
- There is third-party patch which fixes these issues. It is part of Donald Tipton's patched quests and can be found within the File:QUESTPAK.ZIP file.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "There was this (contact's description) here recently asking if I'd seen a (player's race)."'
- "Some (contact's description) was looking for a (player's race) with a (bar of gold) a while back."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Well, (noble's name) is, I've heard, furious at some (player's race) mercenary."
- "(Noble's name) is still relying on mercenaries and I've heard (he/she)'s been burned."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I hear that (noble's name) finally got some (magical item) (he/she) needed."
- "(Noble's name) has been singing the praises of a certain (player's race) mercenary.
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "And what can I do for you, my brave young courier?"
- "I'd be happy to help out my favorite courier any way I can."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "The delivery was obviously too ... complex, eh? Ah, the vapidity of (player's race) youth. Leave me now, (player's first name)."
|The Thieves Gang (r0c30y25)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (noble's name) of (noble's town) has sent me to an associate of (his/her), (contact's name) of (building), (town), with a bar of gold. I need to have the gold in (contact's name)'s hands and be back in (noble's building) in (time limit) days to get my (random gold) gold pieces from (noble's name).|