Online:High Kinlady Estre
|High Kinlady Estre
High Kinlady Estre is the Altmer High Kinlady of Skywatch, wife of Prince Naemon of Summerset Isle, sister-in-law of Queen Ayrenn, and the leader of the Veiled Heritance under the guise of the Veiled Queen.
Initially, before starting the quest Ensuring Security, she is found inside the manor in Vulkhel Guard, talking to her husband. Talking to her here, she says, "You have the pleasure of speaking with High Kinlady Estre, scion of royal Aldmeri blood. I must apologize, but my escort and I were just in the middle of a conversation. If you'll excuse us?"
- A Hostile Situation: Bring a traitor to justice.
- In the Name of the Queen: Help the queen complete an ancient ritual.
- The Veil Falls: Root out the leaders of the Veiled Heritance.
- Sever All Ties: Help save Auridon from the Veiled Heritance and their Daedric allies.
- The Witch of Silatar: Explore Aranias' past on Silatar.
- The Endless War: Participate in the Observer's game to win the mages' freedom.
- A Bargain With Shadows: Join forces with Estre to win the Battle of the Cliffs.
A Hostile Situation
Once you arrive at the Temple Grounds to warn Battlereeve Urcelmo and the Queen about the plot, Estre will be among those gathered outside the Vulkhel Guard Manor & Treasury. She will initially dismiss you.
- "You must excuse us, we were just talking about the Queen's upcoming speech."
After you have defeated the Heritance traitor, Estre will remark:
- "Very impressive. Very impressive indeed. Now that I know your face, I'll be sure to watch for future acts of selfless bravery."
- And who are you?
- "You have the pleasure of speaking with High Kinlady Estre of Skywatch.
I'm lucky enough to be married to Prince Naemon, Queen Ayrenn's brother."
, scion of royal Aldmeri blood and ruler of
If you speak to her before completing the quest by talking to Prince Naemon, she'll say, "This is an unmitigated disaster. What is the Queen thinking?"
In the Name of the Queen
When you encounter Ayrenn's entourage camped just outside Tanzelwil, Estre will recognize you:
- "You're the Queen's new favorite, yes? I recall you from Vulkhel Guard.
Good that you're here, I suppose. She'll need the help."
- What do you mean?
- "Oh, nothing.
It's just hard to see how she'll ever gain the trust of the commonry now."
- Because the spirits are angry?
- "Yes. Some will say that the dead know something we do not. That she's unfit to be Queen.
There's nothing to that, as you well know. But it won't stop some from saying it."
Lifting the Veil
Enter Skywatch Manor, where she'll be found talking to Queen Ayrenn.
- Estre: "...can assure you, if the Veiled Heritance is in Skywatch, they will be found."
- Ayrenn: "I believe you, Estre. But the Royal Guard will aid in the search. This is non-negotiable."
- Estre: "Very well. If you will excuse me, Your Majesty, I have much to do."
Talking to her, she'll only say, "Excuse me, I am much too busy to deal with you right now."
The Veil Falls
Alandare will send you to introduce yourself to the Veiled Council, but as soon as you enter the Veiled Keep, you can hear a familiar voice:
- High Kinlady Estre: "Search the recruits! One of Ayrenn's agents is in disguise."
- Nenaronald: "Damn it, they're here!"
Fight the Heritance soldiers in the first room, to which she will react: "Idiots! Don't let them escape."
Enter the second room to deactivate the lock crystals. You will meet the High Kinlady's projection, who will proudly admit everything as she does not fear you:
- High Kinlady Estre: "You, peasant! You think yourself clever. Did the filthy cat give you that little bauble? Or did Ayrenn herself get her hands dirty?"
- High Kinlady Estre: "Did she really think she could sail home, and we'd all bend a knee? As she invites mongrels and beasts to cavort in our cities? Deluded fool!"
- High Kinlady Estre: "No matter. With Mehrunes Dagon's aid, I will dispose of the false queen and rise as true leader to our people! I am the Veiled Queen!"
Continue to the third room, where the assembled leaders will be waiting for you.
- Nenaronald: "Ayrenn's spy is here!"
- High Kinlady Estre: "Dispose of that pest!"
Defeat the Veiled Council leaders and return to Skywatch. Tell your tale to Razum-dar and hurry to the queen to warn her. Once inside the Skywatch Manor, you will find Estre standing beside the Queen.
- Razum-dar: "My queen, this one apologizes. We must speak with you at once."
- Queen Ayrenn: "Razum-dar? What's going on here?"
- High Kinlady Estre: "What is the meaning of this? Who let that cat in here?"
- Razum-dar: "Our friend here will tell the tale."
Tell the queen of your findings, who will doubt you at first as Estre is not supposed to have any magical talents. Estre's disappearance into a Daedric portal will however convince her. She sends you to Dawnbreak to make sure the town is secure.
Through the Ashes
Arrive to Dawnbreak, which has been overrun by daedra led by the High Kinlady according to the canonreeve. Help the local marines and finally enter the cave near Dawnbreak to stop the daedric ritual. Just before getting to the Dremora bosses, you can hear Estre revealing her next target: "Do what you can there. Firsthold already burns beneath my gaze."
Blessings of the Eight
- Estre: "Lord Dagon, my family has been ever faithful. Now, in my hour of need, I request your aid."
- Mehrunes Dagon: "Your plot's exposed. Your supporters, crushed. And you come crawling to your lord. What do you have left to offer me?"
- Estre: "Anything! Everything! I offer my very soul if it means I have power! The power to rule!"
- Mehrunes Dagon: "So be it. I imbue you with a taste of my true power. Corrupt the shrines in Torinaan. Then, move on to Firsthold."
Sever All Ties
After closing the Oblivion portals in Firsthold, you agree to hunt down Estre, hiding in the Deadlands, with Razum-dar, Battlereeve Urcelmo, and Sinren. As you enter the Oblivion realm, she says, "What do we have here? A lamb sent to slaughter? You dare to challenge the power of Mehrunes Dagon?" During the fight, she will cry out:
- Estre: "Flame atronachs, shield me!"
- Estre: "It sickens me. You pawns cling to life!"
As she is defeated:
- Estre: "No! I've only gone where Ayrenn fears to tread."
Audience with the Wilderking
- Ondendil: "We have much need of someone like you, Aranias."
- Andur: "Yes, young one. We have a problem in the Valenwood that will require your talents specifically."
- Aranias: "I—I would be honored to help however I can."
- Andur: "An opportunity has arisen to strike a devastating blow to the Dominion, to divide the Bosmer."
- Ondendil: "The Bosmer in Greenshade claim allegiance not to King Camoran, but to a man they call "The Wilderking"."
- Andur: "Killing this Wilderking will drive the Bosmer mad. He is very elusive though, so I will need your help to find him."
- High Kinlady Estre: "You realize we are entrusting you with an important task, I hope, my dear."
- Aranias: "Of course, Lady Estre. You can count on me."
The Witch of Silatar
On the island of Silatar, you'll witness a party for Aranias where Kinlady Estre will speak to a group of Veiled Heritants.
- High Kinlady Estre : "Her parents invited me to witness her powers first hand."
- High Kinlady Estre : "She lifted the ground up under my very feet."
- High Kinlady Estre : "Her demonstration today will not be one of skill, but of character."
- High Kinlady Estre : "Can you imagine making an alliance with such lesser creatures?"
- High Kinlady Estre : "Her parents did right to come to me. Only I can help the poor thing."
- High Kinlady Estre : "The sooner we can leave this provincial backwater, the better."
- High Kinlady Estre : "A noble High Elf raised in such environs. It's a travesty!"
Speak to her and she'll say:
- "How did someone like you get an invite to the party?"
- I'm here with Aranias.
- "Poor girl. With a companion like you, it's no wonder she's confused. She's lucky we arrived before you could stuff her head with any more silly nonsense.
There is a natural order to things. The Rock Witch, of all people, ought to understand."
In the garden, Maelin sits bound between Aranias and Estre. Estre goads other:
- Estre: "This creature is no different than those who burned your farm."
- Maelin: "Please."
- High Kinlady Estre: "Aranias, my child. Raise the ground up to trap this animal."
- Maelin: "Please let us go."
- Estre: "Aranias. Do you remember how helpless you were when your farm burned?"
Aranias will then summon vines to wrap around and trap Maelin, and Estre will voice pleasure: "Good. Good. Now, tear this animal apart."
You'll convince Aranias to spare the Bosmer. She then cries out "No, I won't do it!" and traps the heritants in vines.
Cliffs of Failure
High Kinlady Estre can be encountered in Coldharbour, as a contestant at the Cliffs of Failure. When you first enter the portal the cliffs you can find her conversing with some possibly familiar faces as they observe a trio of restrained mages.
- High Kinlady Estre: "Your troops grow weak, Thallik. The Worm Cult isn't what it once was. And this mage isn't going to change that."
- Thallik Wormfather "You throw peasants at me, Estre. You confuse weakness with boredom. My mage will do just fine."
- High Kinlady Estre: "Believe what you will. When I am victorious and you grovel before me, I will remind you of this moment and how wrong you were."
- Angof the Undying: "You two bicker like a couple of married old Nords. You didn't even notice the new arrival."
- High Kinlady Estre: "Another one? Where do they all come from? I swear, they pop up like rabbits."
- Angof the Undying: "This one is different. Special. I think this one will make a good addition to my team."
The Endless War
You have the opportunity to speak with her before starting the match, her reaction to you will depend on if you dealt with her in Auridon.
- "Wait … I know you. Why do you continue to hound me? Didn't you already celebrate your little victory with the pretty little princess, Ayrenn?
Don't tell me you've entered this contest, as well? How … intriguing."
- "I'm here because of you, you vile, sniveling, sorry excuse for a … argh!
Calm down, Kinlady. Calm down."
- You betrayed Queen Ayrenn!
- "I was doing what was right for my people! Something you know nothing about.
To just throw our customs to the side for some foolish, young woman! You understand nothing about the Altmer. Nothing! I was in the right. You were the one in the wrong."
If you haven't met her before she will instead say:
- "Ah, a new recruit! Splendid! I have a good feeling about you. Yes, I really do.
Together, I'm sure we can win this contest. Good fortune follows me, or so I've been told."
- Tell me about this contest.
- "Hasn't the Observer explained things? He is the gamemaster. My associates and I, we're the contestants. We play to win our freedom.
Of course, we need pawns to play the game. Luckily, the mages arrived just in time for the next match."
- Why does someone like you agree to play this game?
- "Do you think I had a choice? You are either naive or woefully ill informed.
Come back and speak to me when you're ready to join my team."
After finding pieces of a mask for the Shadow Court Jester, Estre will have entered the field and will be waiting for you when you return, along with Relmus. She will be there to make a recruitment pitch.
- "Do you see my court jester? Isn't he handsome? In life, I knew him and other members of the Shadow Court. We worked together on more than one occasion. Doesn't he dance like a Daedra?
Oh, but you must be wondering why I'm here to greet you."
- The question had crossed my mind.
- "What? Can't you read my mind? I tease! I tease!
I came to thank you for the service you provided me. A service I didn't even ask you to do. The Dark Elf here … such a poor fellow. The things he considered doing to himself. Very sad."
- What do you really want?
- "Direct and to the point. I can appreciate that. We have so much in common, you and I!
I wanted you to know that you're exceeding the Observer's expectations. He thought you'd be dead by now. He certainly didn't expect you to run and save everyone."
- Why does what I do matter to the Observer?
- "Because you need to decide soon. The Observer won't let you play the game much longer if you don't select a side.
I invite you to join my team. We'd be perfect together. It makes perfect sense. That's why I'm so glad I thought of it!"
After returning to the top of the cliffs, the Observer will ask you to pick a team but will allow you to talk to the contestants before deciding.
- "The hero of the cliffs returns in triumph! I do hope you didn't get too disheveled down there. Fighting alongside the peasants can be rather unpleasant. They really are disgusting creatures."
- Some of those people are fighting for you.
- "Of course. I didn't mean them, silly! I meant Thallik's and the vine-man's peasants. Zombies and skeletons—horrible creatures! Imagine, resorting to the dead because the living won't help you.
My soldiers, on the other hand, follow me willingly."
- Do they? Really?
- "Of course they do! I make sure that my peasants are well taken care of. I do my best to keep my forces in good spirits. That's what a good ruler does!
I make a bad situation tolerable. It's the least I can do to ease their lot in life."
- Why are you here?
- "Ah, you see right through me! I used to be a princess, you know. But I made a few bad deals and had some obnoxious brat disrupt my well-laid plans. Don't you hate when that happens?
I … I don't mean to upset you. Just bad memories."
However, you were the one to kill her you can instead say:
- I remember how you deceived people.
- "But they were happy! And they had something to believe in.
Come now. Wouldn't you prefer to live a happy lie than to live every day in the misery that is truth? I perform a public service!" ([verification needed — does estre say this?]
A Bargain With Shadows
If you sided with Estre, you can speak with her in her encampment.
A Thorn in your Side/The Will of the Worm
If you side with either Thallik or Angof, Estre can be found in her encampment, idly watching her champions.
- High Kinlady Estre "Do try to hurry, Coristir. This rabble isn't worth our time."
When they are defeated she will say, "Well … that's not good." before disappearing.
The Hollow City
If you decided to recruit her to your cause after competing in the Cliffs of Failure, she can be found in the House of Darkness within the Hollow City.
- "Finally, I can just relax in a nice, warm room. A glass of fine wine in my hand.
I think I'll draw a nice hot bath to soothe my weary body. I just wish I had a servant or two to deal with these mundane tasks."
However, if you met her in Tamriel previously she will instead comment on the decor.
- "The colors in here are so drab. Why did the Groundskeeper send me here? My station requires better accommodations than this!
I can't wait until I'm back home in the Altmer lands. I need to see beautiful colors again."
- For more information, see the lore article.