General:M'aiq the Liar
M'aiq the Liar is a Khajiit character who has recurred in many Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind, making him one of the longest running gags of the series. While every rendition of M'aiq the Liar is technically a different character, they all break the fourth wall and make some reference to Dragons.
From an in-universe standing, M'aiq's history and circumstances are largely an enigma.
Each M'aiq is thought to be a different individual, as the centuries of gaps between occurrences of M'aiq are far too long for any ordinary Khajiit to live through. A flute found among the offerings to the Blackfeather Court had an inscription saying it was a gift from "M'aiq to his son, M'aiq." During the Planemeld, M'aiq said his father claimed to be Qia'm, from a long line of Qia'ms, though M'aiq himself did not believe this as his father was a "known liar." It is possible that the M'aiq encountered during the Vvardenfell Crisis in 3E 427 and the M'aiq encountered during the Oblivion Crisis in 3E 433 were in fact the same individual given the short time span. During the Return of the Dragons, M'aiq said that according to his father, his father was also called M'aiq, as was his grandfather.
Due to the dubious nature of M'aiq's dialogue, it is unknown how reliable any of the information he provides about himself actually is, which M'aiq himself claims was knowledge passed down from his fibbing father.
- M'aiq is always a bipedal Khajiit
- His dialogue always contains subtle easter eggs to the developmental side of the games
- He always wears an outfit that has full-length sleeves, robes/pants, and a head covering
- Main Article: Morrowind:M'Aiq the Liar
- "Greetings! M'Aiq knows many things. What is your interest? You seek knowledge. M'Aiq has much. Some of it verified by actual facts!"
- Much of M'Aiq's dialogue refers to many requested or anticipated features of Morrowind which were not included in the final release of the game.
- His most truthful comment pointed you to the location to start Boethiah's Quest for the daedric artifact Goldbrand.
- This is the only version of M'aiq where the a in his name is capitalized.
- This is the only M'aiq that lacks a robed appearance.
- This Maiq is a digitigrade-legged Suthay-raht. Every appearance since has featured a M'aiq from a plantigrade Furstock.
- This M'aiq is encountered in 3E 427.
- Main Article: Oblivion:M'aiq the Liar
- "M'aiq knows much, tells some. M'aiq knows many things others do not."
- This M'aiq references many game mechanics that are lacking from Oblivion, most which were present in previous The Elder Scrolls games, such as Levitation.
- This M'aiq makes references to game mechanics that Oblivion added, such as Quest compass objectives.
- This M'aiq wishes for a Colovian Fur Helm to use, a reference to the attire used by the M'aiq in Morrowind.
- This M'aiq is encountered in 3E 433.
- Main Article: Skyrim:M'aiq the Liar
- "M'aiq wishes you well."
- Much of this M'aiq's dialogue references many improvements over (and omissions from) Oblivion, such as character models and either new or omitted features.
- This M'aiq claims to have come from a long line of M'aiqs.
- One of his greetings is a reference to M'aiq's greeting from Oblivion.
- This M'aiq is encountered in 4E 201.
- Main Article: Online:M'aiq the Liar
- "M'aiq speaks the truth, except for when he doesn't. With you, always the truth."
- This M'aiq claims to come from a long line of Qia'ms. However, this is likely a lie, as the description of a lute in Crow's Wood states that it is "a gift from M'aiq to his son, M'aiq".
- This is the only M'aiq that does not reference any sort of strain of Lycanthrophy
- This M'aiq can be found in most zones included in the Base Game as well as Northern Elsweyr. Finding M'aiq in all base game zones that he is present in awards you with an achievement titled I Like M'aiq
- M'aiq references CHIM with the line "You've heard that the Khajiit love naps, yes? So does M'aiq. Though maybe M'aiq is napping now and this conversation is but a dream?"
- This M'aiq is a Cathay Khajiit.
- This M'aiq is encountered in 2E 582.
- M'aiq the Liar was originally planned for The Elder Scrolls: Legends, as his voice files for entering play and attacking were datamined.
- A Minecraft skin of M'aiq the Liar is available in the Skyrim Mash-up pack.
- M'aiq was featured in the official artwork for the 25th Anniversary of The Elder Scrolls. His appearance is that of his Skyrim rendition and he is located on the bottom right of the image, facing a Cliff Racer. Beside him is a child's doll, three lockpicks, two soul gems in a bowl, and a bottle of skooma.