Red Mountain is a vast volcano that dominates the island of Vvardenfell in Morrowind, and is the second highest mountain in Tamriel. The island actually took its name from the volcano: the original name of Red Mountain was Vvardenfell, which translates to "City of the Strong Shield" in Dwemeris. On a clear day, Red Mountain's peak can be seen from the city of Mournhold, some 250 miles to the south. The mountain is generally considered the most dangerous region in all of Vvardenfell.
Access to Red Mountain is restricted: the Tribunal has built the Ghostfence, a giant Spirit Wall, around the perimeter of the mountain. There are only two ways inside without using an extended jump or levitation; entering through Ghostgate in the south or going through Kogoruhn in the north. This region is marked by the steep climbs to the top of the mountain and by the Ash Storms that fill the air and limit visibility to a few feet. Red Mountain is almost entirely uncharted, and few have ventured far within the Ghostfence's confines since its construction. It is known, however, that four ancient Dwemer Citadels are hidden in the region, three of which are residences for Dagoth Ur's most trusted ash vampires; the fourth is the lair of Dagoth Ur himself. Even though this area is extremely dangerous, Glass and Ebony mines have been set up inside the Ghostfence under Imperial guard.
Within the Ghostfence lies a wasteland of deep ravines, called Foyada, and lava pools. Blighted monsters run free and the minions of Dagoth Ur, known as ash creatures, roam the land. The Foyada Mamaea leads from Ghostgate to the Moonmoth Legion Fort near Balmora, and an unnamed foyada follows the Ghostfence northwest to Ald'ruhn. Just north of the Ghostfence is the lost Dunmer stronghold of the Sixth House, Kogoruhn. There is a secret entrance that links this structure with Red Mountain proper. This entrance is long and winding, however, and you will face many ash creatures in the caves of Kogoruhn. Ghostgate has many supplies and information, so you are more likely to survive by using Ghostgate.
Red Mountain Places
- Ghostgate — A fortress that consists of two main towers, Dusk and Dawn, connected by a hallway that acts as a Tribunal Temple.
- Fadathram Ancestral Tomb — A small tomb south of the Ghostfence in the southern Ashlands region.
- Indaren Ancestral Tomb — A Daedra-occupied tomb in the northern Ashlands.
- Omalen Ancestral Tomb — A large tomb in the northern Ashlands, north of Kogoruhn and southeast of Valenvaryon.
- Salvel Ancestral Tomb — A medium-sized tomb just inside the northeastern corner of the Ghostfence, northeast of Tureynulal.
- Sandus Ancestral Tomb — A large tomb just outside the eastern Ghostfence, northwest of Falensarano.
- Assalkushalit — A shrine to Sheogorath southeast of Maar Gan.
- Ularradallaku — A shrine to Mehrunes Dagon situated within the Ghostfence on the slopes of Red Mountain.
- Kogoruhn — A Dunmer stronghold in the northern Ashlands, southeast of Urshilaku Camp and due east of Falasmaryon.
- Bthanchend — A Dwemer ruin located just inside the Ghostfence, near Maar Gan.
- Vemynal — An Ash Vampire Citadel in the Red Mountain region, inside the Ghostfence.
- Endusal — An Ash Vampire Citadel in the Red Mountain region, inside the Ghostfence.
- Odrosal — An Ash Vampire Citadel in the Red Mountain region, inside the Ghostfence.
- Tureynulal — An Ash Vampire Citadel in the Red Mountain region, inside the Ghostfence.
- Dagoth Ur — A facility in the Red Mountain region inside the Ghostfence, nearly directly north of Ghostgate, and is marked on your world map.
- Foyada Ashur-Dan — The hardened lava river from the crater of Red Mountain into the Molag Amur region.
- Foyada Mamaea — The hardened lava river that runs from Ghostgate past Balmora all the way to Hla Oad.
- Foyada Esannudan — The short hardened lava river between Foyada Mamaea and Foyada Ashur-Dan. -- The short hardened lava river leading from Ghostgate to the crater citadels of Red Mountain.
- Shrine of Pride, Ghostfence
- Ahanibi-Malmus Egg Mine — Located in the Ashlands southeast of Kogoruhn, just north of the Ghostfence, and south of Kora-Dur.
- Akimaes-Ilanipu Egg Mine — Located just north of Falasmaryon.
- Halit Mine — A well-staffed glass mine northeast of Ghostgate.
- Maelu Egg Mine — An abandoned egg mine northeast of Ghostgate.
- Mausur Caverns — An abandoned ebony mine, well inside the Ghostfence.
- Panabanit-Nimawia Egg Mine — A blighted egg mine just inside the Ghostfence, due east of Buckmoth Legion Fort.
- Sudanit Mine — A Redoran-run ebony mine to the west of Ghostgate.
- Yanemus Mine — An ebony mine just east of Odrosal inside the southeastern edge of the Ghostfence.
- Yassu Mine — A working glass mine inside the Ghostfence, near Ghostgate.
- The Path of the Incarnate: Visit the Urshilaku Camp and complete the Third Trial of the prophecy.
- The Citadels of the Sixth House: Find the Ash Vampires to collect powerful artifacts and make your assault on Dagoth Ur himself.
- Pilgrimages of the Seven Graces: Your first task is to visit seven shrines throughout the island.
- Cleaver of St. Felms: Recover this lost relic from Tureynulal.
- Crosier of St. Llothis the Pious: Recover yet another artifact in the crater of Red Mountain.
- Despite the extreme danger posed by Sixth House forces in Red Mountain region, a number of staffed mines exist inside the Ghostfence. The guards and miners will allow you to take shelter inside, but offer no services and will attack if you steal anything.
- Red Mountain also re-appears in Legends.