|Location||The Throne Aligned, Cogitum Centralis
|Faction(s)||The Triad; Whispering Shadows|
Nocturnal is a Daedric Prince whose sphere is night and darkness. She is part of The Triad, alongside Clavicus Vile and Mephala, a group of Princes who did not sign the Coldharbour Compact and seek to start a Daedric War. Her realm of Oblivion is the Evergloam. For more information, see the lore page.
Nocturnal is encountered as the hidden main antagonist of the Clockwork City main quest, where she seeks to control the power of the city and acquire her Skeleton Key. Her minions include the Whispering Shadows cult and many shadow creatures, most notably the Shadow of Sotha Sil, who has secretly usurped the real Sotha Sil. In the Cogitum Centralis, she appears after the shadow's defeat as a large purple aura of darkness before being banished by Sotha Sil.
Nocturnal later returns as the primary antagonist in Summerset.
- Where Shadows Lie: Save the Clockwork God.
- The Dreaming Cave: Find a way to communicate with Meridia and rescue her Golden Knight from Mephala's clutches.[verification needed]
- Lost in Translation: Locate the Heart of Transparent Law.
- The Crystal Tower: Ascend the Crystal Tower and put an end to Nocturnal's machinations.
Where Shadows Lie
When the Shadow of Sotha Sil is defeated:
- Proctor Luciana Pullo: "Fyr? Where did you―? What are you doing?"
- Divayth Fyr: "Never mind where I came from! I'm keeping Sil alive, you ungrateful shrew! We can't let the shadow escape!"
- Luciana Pullo: "Just hurry! I can't hold the light for long!"
- Nocturnal: "Even now, at the end, you bicker. How predictably mortal..."
- Divayth Fyr: "She's here! Nocturnal!"
- Nocturnal: "Why do you struggle so? Do you not see that it's hopeless? Sleep now... give in to the dark."
- Divayth Fyr: "I can't hold it much longer! Get up, comrade! You have to turn the Skeleton Key! Now!"
- Luciana Pullo: "I... will not yield! Go, friend― do as Fyr says! Unlock the throne! Free Sotha Sil!"
When the Skeleton Key has been deactivated:
- Sotha Sil: "You trespass, Ur-dra. The Clockwork City shall bear your weight no longer."
- Nocturnal: "You achieve nothing, little godling. The Triad looms upon Summerset's shores. All that is shall be ours!"
- Divayth Fyr: "Well done, my friend. Enough theatrics, Luciana. On your feet. Luciana...?"
- Sotha Sil: "We should return to the surface. This is no place for mortals."
Lost in Translation
After Ritemaster Iachesis reveals the location of the Heart Of Transparent Law, Clavicus and Mephala appear in Evergloam:
- Clavicus Vile: "Look, Mephala! The mortal hid the heart inside his own body! How clever!"
- Darien Gautier: "Uh-oh. Mephala and Clavicus Vile. This could be bad."
- Mephala: "But why did Nocturnal keep this from us?! No matter, I'll take the heart now, Ritemaster."
- <Vile and Mephala proceed to use their powers to attempt to rip the Heart Of Transparent Law from the Ritemaster's body, but he is protected by his wards.>
- Clavicus Vile: "Impressive for a mortal, but the wards won't hold for long against our power."
- <The tug-of-war continues.>
- Ritemaster Iachesis: "They're … tearing me … apart!"
- Clavicus Vile: "Stop that, Mephala! I've got him! Wait … what's—?"
- <Nocturnal appears on the pillar between them, standing behind the Ritemaster.>
- Mephala: "Nocturnal?! How dare you interfere!"
- Nocturnal: "Get out of my realm, Princes!"
- <Nocturnal casts Vile and Mephala out.>
The Crystal Tower
Abyssal Geyser Dialogue
- Summoning an Abyssal Horror
- Generic Pre-Boss Dialogue
- "Can you feel my cold touch, mortals?"
- "Do you truly think you can stand against my shadows?"
- Destroying the Abyssal Pearl
- "Victory? For a time, perhaps. But time belongs to the Daedric Princes."
- "You've accomplished nothing, mortal worm."
- "Nocturnal is the dark, and the dark is endless."
- "A single battle isn't a war, mortal."
- "Nocturnal has survived worse than this."
Occasionally, a rare named character will replace the generic final wave boss and Nocturnal will comment on it.
|Ruella Many-Claws||"Mortals make the perfect hosts for the eggs of Ruella Many-Claws."
"I call forth Ruella Many-Claws to shock the mortals into submission."
|Churug of the Abyss||"From the depths' darkness, Churug arises!"
|Sheefar of the Depths||"Sheefar, bane of sailors, Nocturnal calls you forth!"
|Girawell the Erratic||"Let us see how you fare against Girawell the Erratic."
|Muustikar Wave-Eater||"Muustikar, Nocturnal has need of you, Wave-Eater!"
|Reefhammer||"Reefhammer, destroy these fools!"
|Darkstorm the Alluring||"Let's see how you deal with Darkstorm's charms."
|Eejoba the Radiant||"Eejoba take your will, mortal fools!"
|Tidewrack||"I summon Tidewrack to end this."
|Vsskalvor||"Vsskalvor, protect this geyser!"
- According to datamining, Nocturnal was initially involved in the original Thieves Guild questline with relation to something called the "Twilight Lodge", but was cut from its story prior to release. In concept art and an early preview video of Abah's Landing, a statue of Nocturnal with two crows and the Skeleton Key beneath it was seen.
- Nocturnal is shown as a Redguard in Summerset, matching her appearance in Skyrim, and wearing Shrike's Nocturnal Frock from the Crown Store.