The UESPWiki – Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995
|Line Rank||20||Cost||2160 Magicka|
|Cast Time||Instant||Duration||6 seconds|
When the effect ends, a pool of sunlight remains attached to the enemy, healing you and allies.
|Power of the Light
Converts into a Stamina ability and deals Physical Damage, and applies Minor Breach to the enemy.
- Backlash: Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, dealing [1499 / 1515 / 1530 / 1549] Magic Damage immediately and marking them for 6 seconds. After the duration ends, the sunlight bursts, dealing [1659 / 1678 / 1697 / 1716] Magic Damage to the enemy, which increases based on the amount of damage you dealt to them over the duration, up to 200%. You can have only one Backlash active at a time.
- Purifying Light: Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, dealing 1549 Magic Damage immediately and marking them for 6 seconds. After the duration ends, the sunlight bursts, dealing 1715 Magic Damage, which increases based on the amount of damage you dealt to them over the duration, up to 200%. Also heals you and nearby allies in the area for [776 / 786 / 795 / 802] Health every 2 seconds, over 10 seconds. You can have only one Purifying Light at a time.
- Power of the Light: Cost: 1337 Stamina.
Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, dealing 1549 Physical Damage immediately, marking them for 6 seconds, and applying Minor Breach for [7 / 8 / 9 / 10] seconds, reducing their Armor by 2974. After the duration ends, the sunlight bursts, dealing 1715 Physical Damage to the enemy, which increases based on the amount of damage you dealt to them over the duration, up to 200%. You can have only one Power of the Light active at a time.
Backlash deals a small amount of damage and copies all damage inflicted on an enemy and releases a percentage of it as a blast of Magic Damage. Purifying Light causes a healing effect to remain attached to the target, restoring the Health of all of your nearby allies. Or you could choose Power of the Light, which converts the casting cost to use Stamina, and changes the damage to Physical Damage. It also reduces the target's physical and magical resistance, effectively increasing all damage taken.
- When cast, this spell causes a bright beam of light to shine upwards from the enemy's location, which essentially marks it. This can be useful as an indicator when playing in a group, hinting the other members of your party where to concentrate their attacks. It's thus useful even if you don't use this skill yourself to recognize the effect when your group-mates use it.
- This skill is most effective on tougher enemies, because it only deals damage at the end, so if an enemy dies before that happens, the cast was effectively wasted. The Power of the Light morph is slightly more useful in such cases, because it also increases their damage taken, so it still does something even if the ending blast never fires, but either way, it's still preferable to use on monsters that won't die before it has a chance to work.
- Purifying Light is most effective in cases where you want your allies to remain close to the affected target. It might be unwise to use it in certain boss fights where staying within range of the effect would be detrimental. (E.g. Fights where a damaging effect is attached to each player, in which case you do not want to be close together, or fights where the boss has a very powerful close-range attack.)
- Purifying Light is a recommended morph for the Templar Initiate and Gleaming Champion builds, while Power of the Light is recommended for Luminous Warrior.
- Fixed an issue where Backlash Rank III wasn't dealing any damage.
- Fixed an issue where you could stack multiple copies of Purifying Light or Power of the Light (both Backlash morphs) at the same time.
- Backlash now ignores the damage caused by other player characters using Backlash. Multiple casters can now all stack Backlash on the same target.
- Backlash and Purifying Light morph damage caps are now derived from your maximum magicka.
- Removed the cast time for this ability.
- Enduring Rays: This passive no longer increases the duration of Backlash.
- Power of the Light: This ability now applies the Minor Fracture debuff to your target, and the damage caps are derived from your maximum stamina.
- Increased the maximum damage limit for this ability and its morphs by 25%, but decreased their damage stored amount by 66%. In addition, this ability and its morphs can no longer be reflected.
- Power of the Light: This morph now deals Physical Damage instead of Magic Damage.
- This ability and its morphs now deal moderate damage when they are initially applied to the enemy. This damage does not contribute to the copied damage delivered at the end of the ability's duration.
- Increased the amount of copied damage by this ability and its morphs to 20% from 18%.
- Fixed an issue where damage that was absorbed by a damage shield was not being copied.
- The initial damage and final damage dealt by this ability and its morphs can no longer be blocked.
- The final damage dealt by this ability and its morphs can no longer critically strike, and is no longer reduced from ON:Battle Spirit (note that the initial damage and maximum damage limit are both still reduced by 50% from Battle Spirit).
- The copied damage from this ability and its morphs is now increased by 50% against other player characters, reduced from 100%.
- Developer Comment: We want to see Backlash as a burst damage ability that you can use in solo PvE or PvP content. To accomplish this, we increased the amount of copied damage. This increase is higher in Cyrodiil to account for both Battle Spirit and the play styles of enemies; enemy players are much harder to hit with 5 seconds of unhindered attacks.
- Making the damage unblockable ensures it behaves consistently when compared to Daedric Curse. Both those abilities are similar in functionality and how they thematically apply their damage. This also ensures that Backlash is not double penalized by block, since some of the damage it copies will likely be blocked or avoided by enemies seeking to minimize Backlash's final attack. Hitting the maximum damage limit against another player now requires a significant amount of uninhibited damage from the Templar, and enemies will have more counterplay in reducing Backlash's burst damage if they actively mitigate or avoid damage.
- Changing Backlash's final damage so it no longer critically strikes prevents the Templar from reaching the damage cap too easily with a high Critical Strike rating.
- Power of the Light: Fixed an issue where this morph's damage was being mitigated on the target's Spell Resistance instead of their Physical Resistance.
- Fixed an issue where the final damage dealt by this ability and its morphs was not respecting its damage limit when used against damage shields.
- Power of the Light: Fixed an issue where the damage from this morph could be dodged.
- Purifying Light: Fixed an issue where the heal from this morph could not critically strike.
- Fixed an issue where multiple Templars using this ability and its morphs against the same target would not deal the full amount of intended damage.
- Increased the cost of this ability and its morphs by approximately 5%.
- Power of the Light: Adjusted the ability rank up for this morph so it no longer gains damage on the initial hit, but instead increases the duration of Minor Fracture and Breach applied, since that is the focus of the morph. This will result in approximately a 3% damage loss on the initial hit, but the duration of the Minor Fracture and Breach will last 9 seconds, up from 6 seconds at their final rank.
- Purifying Light: Decreased the healing per tick by approximately 29%.
- This ability and its morphs' final explosion can now Critically Strike. Boom baby.
- This ability and its morphs will now only store damage dealt from the caster of the ability, rather than anyone who hits the afflicted target. This was done to offset some of the staggering power (of the Light) the ability could bring in group situations, where low damage builds could apply the ability and generate free real estate from their allies' contribution. Now, you have to put in the fervor to get the full power of these abilities.
- Fixed an issue where these abilities would conflict with one another if more than one player cast the same morph of the ability on a target.
- Purifying Light (morph):
- The Heal over Time from this ability will now, as the tooltip insinuates, always apply after the effect ends via any means such as being purged, being recast, or ending naturally. The light cannot be stopped, and shall purify all! This also means that Purifying Light will count for 1 less negative effect from purging.
- Fixed an issue where this ability and its morphs stored much more damage done to the target than the tooltip stated. This will make the ability require more damage, particularly in PvP, in order to reach its maximum damage.
- Fixed an issue where these abilities did not reset their stored damage values after detonating in some cases.
- The final damage now deals a guaranteed amount of damage based on your highest offensive stats, rather than dealing damage based on the damage it took from you over the duration and with a cap based on your Weapon or Spell Damage.
- The final damage deals approximately 10% more damage than the initial hit at base and increases up to an additional 200% to reach similar values of power seen before.
- The final damage now takes more overall damage to reach, to make the payout less reliably reached in PvP scenarios.
- These abilities are now once again limited to having one active at a time, to fix numerous exploits and bugs with the ability. This means if you cast the ability on another target while it is active, it will remove the previous cast.
- Power of the Light (morph):
- Increased the duration of Minor Breach from this morph to 7-10 seconds, up from 6-9. This effect is also no longer tracked over the base ability with the Ability Timers option enabled, to help you keep track of the core ability instead.
- Online-Skills-Dawn's Wrath
- Online-Skills with Magic Damage
- Online-Skills with Heal Self
- Online-Skills with Heal Others
- Online-Skills with Physical Damage
- Online-Skills with Reduce Armor
- Online-Skills with Reduce Physical Resistance
- Online-Skills with Reduce Spell Resistance
- Online-Skills with Magicka Cost
- Online-Skills with Stamina Cost