Lore:House of Troubles
The House of Troubles (also known as the Bad Daedra, Rebel Daedra, Adversaries, and Testing Gods) is the Dunmer (and before that, Velothi) term for four of the Daedra Lords: Mehrunes Dagon, Sheogorath, Malacath and Molag Bal. These Princes are the Bad Daedra as introduced to the Chimer by the teachings of Saint Veloth. Rebels whose purpose it is to test the resolve and faith of mortals, they are also known as the Four Corners of the House of Troubles. Ancient, alien temples dedicated to their worship can be found across Morrowind.
The Four Corners are known as enemy gods to the Dunmer. Molag Bal is a primary source of obstacles for the Dunmer people and their Chimer predecessors. He attempts to upset the Houses' bloodlines or ruin Dunmeri "purity". In the days of old Resdayn, Molag Bal was not worshipped so much as he was placated. Malacath tests the Dunmer for strength, Sheogorath tests for mental weakness and tempts Great Houses to treachery, while Mehrunes Dagon represents the dangerous terrain of Morrowind.
Baar Dau, the celestial rock that existed above Vivec City, is believed to have been sent by Sheogorath of the House of Troubles after he grew bored and wanted to see what happens if he sent the gigantic rock to some area of Nirn, not targeting anywhere in specific. Vivec acted to stop the rock from hitting the city, keeping it up as long as the Dunmer worshipped and loved him. The rock would later collapse anyway, causing the events of the Red Year and the effective end of the major worship of Almalexia, Vivec and Sotha Sil as gods.
- Alongside many other notable members of Dunmer religion, it was believed by the Tribunal Temple that the Four Corners of the House of Troubles had appeared to defend the edges of the madness of the Dragon Break of the Middle Dawn when it happened in the First Era.
- "Rumors flow from the House of Troubles" was one of the many mantras of the Tribunal faithful that became even a common cliche of everyday life in Morrowind.
- The House of Troubles — Chronicle of the Daedra who decided not to submit to the Tribunal
- The Anticipations — Anonymous
- Varieties of Faith: The Dark Elves — Brother Mikhael Karkuxor of the Imperial College
- The House of Troubles
- Events of Morrowind
- Bal Ur loading screen text in ESO
- A Tale of Baar Dau — Amili Drals, Pedagogue
- The Infernal City — Greg Keyes
- The Reclamations — Thara of Rihad
- Where Were You ... Dragon Broke — Various
- The Book of Dawn and Dusk