Skyrim:Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!
- While in the Abandoned Shack during the quest With Friends Like These..., kill Astrid instead of a hostage.
- Travel to any city and talk to a guard.
- Speak to Commander Maro in Dragon Bridge southwest of Solitude.
- Travel to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary and kill all Dark Brotherhood members inside.
- Return to Commander Maro and collect your reward.
Complete Innocence Lost by killing Grelod the Kind. When you are kidnapped by the Brotherhood and brought to the Abandoned Shack, kill Astrid instead of a hostage and this quest will begin. Astrid has a rather lengthy animation when she jumps off the bookshelf, during which she is vulnerable and cannot retaliate.
After Astrid's death, travel to any city and speak to a guard. Inform them that you killed the Dark Brotherhood's leader, and you will be directed to speak to Commander Maro in Dragon Bridge southwest of Solitude. He can be found in the Penitus Oculatus Outpost.
After speaking to Commander Maro, you will be given the passphrase ("Silence, my brother") to their hideout and directed to kill everyone inside. He says that you should "have the honor" of clearing out the place, meaning you'll be going in alone. Even your followers do not enter the sanctuary with you. However, spectral entities such as Arniel's spirit and the ghostly Dragon Priest (summoned by the Konahrik mask) will enter with you. The task should be relatively simple, as this quest will have them spread out between each room (as opposed to them being gathered and chatting when you first enter as an actual member). Babette, Cicero, and the Night Mother won't be in the sanctuary during the attack.
Loot what you please. You have access to an Iron Battleaxe of Chills on Arnbjorn, one of the twenty-four "unusual gems" or Stones of Barenziah needed for the quest No Stone Unturned, the Alteration skill book Sithis, many poisons lying around, four different soul gems, part of the Marked for Death shout, and the Dark Brotherhood armor.
Rewards and consequences
Return to Commander Maro in Dragon Bridge, and he will be overjoyed and reward you with 3,000 gold, regardless of your level. He will also make sure that the Emperor himself hears of your accomplishments. The quest also yields a good amount of valuable loot that you'd normally obtain by joining the Dark Brotherhood.
Destroying the Dark Brotherhood makes a number of rewards unavailable, namely Shadowmere, the Summon Spectral Assassin power, the never-dying Dark Brotherhood Initiate followers, or the Master trainers for Alchemy and Light Armor, and Cicero's offer of being a follower.
- If you have the Misdirection perk, you can rob Astrid of her gear before you attack her, making her extremely easy to kill.
- If you cast Calm on a member of the brotherhood, they will offer the same dialogue as if you had joined the brotherhood, with the exception of Nazir, who will not offer contracts.
- Either joining the Dark Brotherhood or destroying it will prevent further assassination attempts against you.
- After completing this quest, guards will occasionally comment on your accomplishment. See the Guard Dialogue page for specifics.
- The quest may not trigger upon Astrid's death.
- You still might not be able to gain entrance to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary after speaking with Commander Maro.
- Completing this quest may prevent the Liberation of Skyrim quest from progressing beyond the Battle for Fort Snowhawk, with Ulfric repeatedly stating that they cannot move on Solitude while Vittoria Vici's wedding is in progress.
|Destroy the Dark Brotherhood! (DBDestroy)
|I have killed Astrid, the leader of the Dark Brotherhood. I should report her death to a guard.
Objective 10: Report Astrid's death to a guard
|I've spoken to a guard about Astrid's death. He told me I should share this information with Commander Maro, in the village of Dragon Bridge.
Objective 20: Speak with Commander Maro
|Commander Maro has tasked me with killing every assassin in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary! He has provided me with the pass phrase that will allow me to enter.
Objective 30: Kill everyone in the Sanctuary!
|I have killed every assassin in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. I should now report back to Commander Maro.
Objective 40: Report back to Commander Maro
|After killing Astrid, the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, I was commissioned by Commander Maro to wipe out the assassins' Sanctuary. I did so, and was rewarded for my efforts. Of course, it will now be impossible for me to join the shadowy organization...
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 35, 255.