|Items||Head, Neck, Finger|
(Click on any item for details)
Alchemy description: Can breathe underwater for <dur> seconds.
Enchanting description: Can swim underwater without drowning.
Waterbreathing gives the target the ability to breathe under water for the duration of the effect. Argonians naturally possess this ability.
The following alchemy ingredients can be used to create a potion of Waterbreathing:
- Chicken's Egg
- Fungus StalkCC
- Hackle-Lo LeafCC
- Hawk's EggHF
- Luminous RussulaCC
- Nordic Barnacle
- Red Kelp Gas BladderCC
- Salmon RoeHF
- Scalon FinCC (1st effect)
- Scrib JerkyCC
The following items use this effect. You can learn how to enchant custom items with Waterbreathing if you find one of the following items and disenchant it:
Artifacts and unique items that use the effect but cannot be disenchanted include:
There is no difference in effect strength or item cost resulting from using stronger or weaker souls to enchant an item with Waterbreathing. A petty soul will yield the same result as grand. This makes the Waterbreathing enchantment an extremely profitable enchantment for those looking to earn money in Skyrim. Cheap items of jewelry can be converted into valuable artifacts simply by applying the Waterbreathing enchantment using a petty soul gem.
This enchantment can be applied to rings, amulets, circlets and helmets.
The only spell with this effect is:
- Waterbreathing: Waterbreathing (
- Even if you can breathe under water, you will still take a deep breath when you surface.
- A guaranteed Circlet of Waterbreathing is held by one of the frozen Falmer located in the Inner Sanctum towards the end of the Dawnguard main questline.
- A guaranteed Ebony Helmet of Waterbreathing is worn by the Ebony Warrior, who can be encountered at level 80 after installing Dragonborn.
- Argonians have a natural ability to breathe underwater for an unlimited amount of time without any enchanted gear, spells or potions.
- The probability of finding a disenchantable item of Waterbreathing is extremely low. Because it is a "fixed" effect that does not scale with your level, the probability of finding one is further reduced as your character advances in level. This is due to the fact that items with "more valuable" enchantments are given increasingly dominant odds. Furthermore, in the base version of the game, there are no guaranteed locations for disenchantable items of Waterbreathing; it can only be found via merchants or random loot.
- You can use the Atronach Forge to obtain a random enchanted piece of Daedric armor, which has an equal chance of being a Daedric Helmet of Waterbreathing as any other Daedric armor. Since it is random, make sure to save before activating the forge if you want to get that specific item. Your chances of getting the helmet on any given attempt with this method are about 1%, regardless of your level.
- You may manually add such an item via the console.
- Even though Argonians have Waterbreathing as a constant effect, they still take a breath after surfacing from water.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.