|Hircine (BM_hircine / BM_hircine2)
|Location||Mortrag Glacier, Entry
Mortrag Glacier, Huntsman's Hall
|Level||100 / 1||Type||Special Creatures|
Note: These two versions of Hircine only appear in cutscenes, and you are unable to move while they are visible, so they cannot attack or be attacked. For information about the aspects of Hircine that you actually fight at the end, see:
Hircine is a Daedric Prince whose sphere is the Hunt, the Sport of Daedra, the Great Game, the Chase, and is known as the Huntsman and the Father of Manbeasts. He is the main antagonist of the Bloodmoon expansion, and is responsible for the Hunter's Game that occurs near the end of the Bloodmoon Prophecy.
- Dream of Hircine: Protect the Totem of Claw and Fang from the Skaal.
- Disrupt the Skaal Hunt: Interrupt a Skaal ceremony by killing the participants and the Spirit Bear.
- Siege of Castle Karstaag: Stop a rebellion in this castle far to the north on the island.
- Hircine's Hunt: You are now irrevocably involved in the Hunter's Game and it's a fight for survival.
Dream of Hircine
After being bitten by a werewolf and not preventing it from turning you into one, you will encounter many visions of Hircine presented via cinematics where he speaks to you, this is the first:
"Your master has a task for you, my hound. In the Tombs of Skaalara lies the Totem of Claw and Fang. There, I wish it to remain. When the Skaal come for it, hunt them down, kill them all, and protect the totem."
After completing the task, you will be greeted by a second vision:
"You have performed well, hound. The totem is undisturbed for now, and your master is pleased. I grant you this boon to aid you in your hunt. Your claws are now as sharp as the edge of my spear. Let all who would stand before you feel their edge. We will speak again."
Disrupt the Skaal Hunt
The third vision will have Hircine assign you another task:
"It is time to serve your master again. The totem was stolen while the hounds slept, and the Skaal prepare to hunt the spirit bear this night. Hunt the hunters, and slay the beast."
Afterward, you will be greeted by your fourth vision:
"Your master is well pleased. The Skaal find no fortune with their god. I grant you this boon for your service, hound. When you walk in the day, you may now summon a companion to your side to aid you in your travels. Hunt well until I call upon you again. "
Siege of Castle Karstaag
The fifth vision will assign you your third task:
"I have another task for you, hound. There is a castle of ice to the north under siege from within by renegade servants. I have need of the master of this castle, and I don't want him distracted by this foolishness. Go there, kill the rebels, and end the siege."
Completing it will grant you a sixth vision:
"You have ended the siege at Castle Kaarstag, and your master is well pleased with your efforts. You have served me well, and I offer you this gift, the hunter's wind. May you never tire in your hunting, my hound. I will seek you out, should I need you again."
During the quest Hircine's Hunt:
"Ah, you have arrived. The others have been here for days now, and you are the last. It is time for my Hunt, and you are to take part. I have chosen only the most worthy to take part the Hunt--Carius of the Imperials, Heart-Fang of the Skaal, the frost giant Karstaag....and you. You have proven yourself a worthy hunter, and so you have been given this honor."
"You and the others are to find your way to my Hunting Grounds. Take great care, as only one of you will earn the glory of facing the Hunter himself in battle while the Bloodmoon lights the sky. The others have gone ahead, so only you remain to begin. Beware, mortal--my Hounds are about, and they hunger for blood. Perhaps I will see you soon. Now go."
After escaping the maze you will meet Hircine:
"So...you are the one. You have escaped my hounds and beaten back the other challengers. I had rather expected the giant to prevail, but no matter. You have proven yourself a worthy hunter, and you have earned the greatest honor that can be bestowed upon a mortal: you are to be my prey."
"I ask you, though: what is it that makes a hunter great. Is it his strength? The speed with which he strikes? Or is it his guile, the ability to outwit his prey? Answer me, mortal, and decide your fate."
"What is the hunter's greatest strength?"
"So you have chosen, and so shall be your fate. To face me in all my glory would be less than sporting, so you shall face but one of my aspects, the one you have chosen. We have little time--the Bloodmoon sinks low in the sky. Prepare yourself, mortal, for now you are the Hunted."
After beating Hircine in his hunt, you will get a cinematic where he says the following:
"This cannot be! The Bloodmoon falls and the prey still lives? You have defeated my aspect, but I will return, mortal. The Bloodmoon will rise again, and my hounds will walk the lands. Let this world enjoy its brief respite, for Hircine will hunt again!"
- The following obtainable items that are associated with Hircine are:
- Hircine's Ring, Hunter's Amulet of Speed, Hunter's Amulet of Strength, and the Spear of the Hunter
- While the Skaal believe the Totem of Claw and Fang is related to the Spirit Bear, in future installments of The Elder Scrolls series, it is specified to be associated with Hircine's Bear aspect Hrokkibeg. Please see the Lore Article for more information.
- The Cuirass of the Savior's Hide is an artifact that which is usually associated with Hircine, but some believe is associated with Malacath. Please see the Lore Article for more information.
- The Spear of Bitter Mercy was previously stated to have been created by Mehrunes Dagon during An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire. It has however become most associated with Hircine in future installments of The Elder Scrolls series. Please see the Lore Article for more information.