Morrowind: Drain Skill
(Click on any item for details)
Drain Skill, M points for D seconds
Temporarily lowers one of the target's skills by M points for D seconds. After the spell expires, the skill will be restored to its former value.
- The Restore Skill effect is unavailable to you through spells, scrolls, or potions. However selecting Restore Attributes at an Imperial Cult Altar or Almsivi Restoration at a Shrine of the Tribunal will restore all attributes and skills.
- You can also use Drain Skill on yourself if you want to train a Major or Minor Skills to level your character after the skill is at 100. Drain your skill for an amount of time (or enchant something to do it constantly), then train it up. When the effect wears off or you take off the draining item, your skill will revert back to 100, but the training will still count toward level. Since there is no Medium Armor master trainer, this is the only way to train your Medium Armor skill past 83, other than by just using Medium-class armor a lot. This trick can also be used to train a skill to 100 using any trainer that can train that skill.
- Drain Mercantile on self is also helpful in dealing with the selling-to-merchants bug.
- If you are under the effect of a Fortify Skill, and are then hit with a Drain effect for the same skill, then when the Drain expires, the skill will not return to its former value, making the Drain behave more like a Damage Skill. The only way to solve this is to remove whatever was causing the Fortify effect, and then apply a Restore Skill effect (from a shrine or altar, as detailed above). You may then put the Fortify effect back on to be returned to your former skill value.
- Damage Skill, Absorb Skill
- Restore Skill, Fortify Skill
- Drain Attribute, Drain Fatigue, Drain Health, Drain Magicka
Only one Alchemy ingredient has a Drain Skill effect on it, the Horker Tusk from the Bloodmoon expansion. It will drain your Alteration skill. It is a first-effect ingredient, so you can experience a weak dose of the effect by eating one straight, but it will not occur in any potions.