Skyrim talk:The House of Horrors
- 1 Bugged
- 2 A bug/help?
- 3 House?
- 4 Rescue the Priest: I found him at druadach redoubt.
- 5 Can also be found at Red Eagle Ascent?
- 6 Bug: Mace uninteractable
- 7 BUG (solved) Lord keeps asking the same question
- 8 No Forsworn Resistance
- 9 Glitch
- 10 Negative consequences for completing this quest?
- 11 Bug?
- 12 Trivial information about the SHRINE
- 13 Carrying the Mace Elicits Comments
- 14 Serpent's Bluff Redoubt
- 15 Unable 2 talk
- 16 Can't Get Back In
- 17 Stuck in the house. Key Required.
- 18 house of horrors, quest bug
- 19 Note about Logrolf's soul - moved from article
- 20 Skyrim:Vigilant Tyranus essential?
- 21 Possible Glitch?
- 22 Bug caused thanks to the quest" A night to remeber"
- 23 Molag Bal's Dialogue Choices
- 24 Subverting Molag Bal's order to kill
- 25 Unreachable Letter?
- 26 Possible Bug Workaround
- 27 Molag Bal resurrects Logrolf if he dies
- 28 Killing Tyranus
- 29 Double Mace???
- 30 Beat and Heal
- 31 Logrolf Will Move to The Warrens
- 32 Tyranus stands outside the house forever after accepting quest
- 33 Assault count
Vigilant Tyranus won't appear and engage in conversation, no matter what. I have tried enabling him and moveto player, even including Yngvar the Singer, but to no avail. I also tried setstage for all stages, with no response from the game whatsoever. I have met the level requirement. Is there a way to force Vigilant Tyranus to talk to me regarding the quest(or to talk to Yngvar)? 188.8.131.52 19:04, 17 November 2011 (UTC)
- talk to the inns counter lady and ask about rumors. this should start the quest and lead u to vigilant tyranus. also if anyone else had the problem where the guards try to arrest u and then u try every dialog and nothing happens just kill the guards dont hurt vigilant tyranus. Then use the spell "pacify" on him he should lead u right into the house. once pacify wears off use it again. — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 19:26 on 28 November 2011
On X Box
Two bugs I've found for this quest:
- When you first go into the basement, before you kill the other guy with you, it will make all the banging and the controller vibrates, as it should. But if you leave the house, the banging/vibrating doesn't stop no matter where you go.
- After talking to the shrine, I went tot he front door but it wouldn't let me out - the door requires a key to open. I had to restart my save.
- I figured it out. You have to let the priest talk and not interrupt him or else you get stuck in the house forever. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 03:35 on 30 November 2011
- Well, the house wasn't really owned by anyone in the first place. However, doing some testing, it's not illegal to enter the house (at any time), and you can sleep in the bed in the house. It remains to be seen if you can use the storage safely, but assuming that it is, you can count it as a free house. --AKB Talk Cont Mail 04:50, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
Rescue the Priest: I found him at druadach redoubt.
I completed the Markath quest to free the forsworn from the prison before saving him. As such I was able to freely enter the forsworn redoubt of Druadach and walk straight to him. If I attack a guard he shouts "HEY I'm on your side!". You also get to see the old guy from Cidnah mine who says 'If it isn't my old friend from Cidnah mine'. I've amended one of the sections to reflect this. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 16:10 on 26 November 2011
Can also be found at Red Eagle Ascent?
Bug: Mace uninteractable
- When its time to interact with the mace, it places it in your hands I believe. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 20:12 on 30 November 2011
- No it just raises up from the alter when you touch it, activating the cage in the first place if I remember correctly. --D. Gemini 12:11, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
BUG (solved) Lord keeps asking the same question
My solution: I had a bug where i couldnt get to the next dialogue where i get the quest from the Lord, he kept asking me the same question. What i did was, i loaded a earlier save and i got the witchhunter quest from the guy at the inn (same quest, one "step" before). Then when i answer the question at the altar i got to the next dialogue where the Lord gives me the quest. (please correct english, hope it helps) — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 03:06 on 10 December 2011
No Forsworn Resistance
I'm sticking this here purely cause it might be a bug for me only; but clarify this, i've done that quest with the cidnha mine and helped them yet still every single one of them still wants to kill me within this place, with a vengeance. I'm level 46 too so some of them ain't exactly easy! I have yet to come across the main guy i helped. (Come here to track down what seems to be an invisible door to me lol, or im blind). But this kind of statement really needs confirmation, or if its one certain room they dont attacked then state that, cause at the moment this detailed walkthrough might benefit from that not being there as even though i've done that its not working. Xbox 360 - Patch 188.8.131.52 (Killerchronic 02:36, 13 December 2011 (UTC))
- I am ofc referring to the later stage where you track down the priest, but rereading it still seems like i shouldn't be being attacked. Unless the main page is wrong. Going to finish this quest and if necessary amend it. Can't have misinformation like this. Also the detailed walkthrough should closely follow the quick one so its easy to jump from one part to the other, so far its 8 parts to 4 and not a single title comes close to what you should be doing at the time. It's a walkthrough not a description of what you did, there is a difference. (Killerchronic 02:40, 13 December 2011 (UTC))
- that's a bug for you, i get no resistance from the forsworn and the priest is right there with an arrow over his head(PS3) 184.108.40.206 05:17, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- I can't tell from the post which redoubt you had to go to find the priest, but do keep in mind that only the Forsworn at Druadach Redoubt will be friendly to you. If you go to any of their other encampments they will be hostile. 220.127.116.11 01:26, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
- that's a bug for you, i get no resistance from the forsworn and the priest is right there with an arrow over his head(PS3) 18.104.22.168 05:17, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
Vigilant Tyranus wasnt't waiting by the house when i got there so i walked around and waited. it didnt work. then i went and bought the dog vigilance over by the markath stables and then he was there. i dont know if that stopped a glitch but it worked. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 20:05 on 26 December 2011
Negative consequences for completing this quest?
Are there any negative consequences to other quests for completing the quest and being the champion of an evil Daedric Prince? Any later characters who might object, not give you quests, etc? — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 23:14 on 7 January 2012
- Not as far as I have seen, in Oblivion it was the same. For Sanguine's quest however, after a few weeks a man named Deep-in-his-Cups will show up asking for money.RIM 23:17, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
- Almost all daedric princes are inherently evil; Molag Bal's quest just happens to be one of the most evidently immoral.188.8.131.52 11:45, 19 January 2012 (UTC)
I started this quest one time and got to the point where I was trapped before the altar. Being the indignant lout that I am, I chose to exit out of the conversation with Molag Bal and no way to get back into it. I restarted without trying too hard and didn't come back to the quest, but if anyone else can confirm that this will trap you permanently then ought we place a warning not to do this? 184.108.40.206 22:08, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
Trivial information about the SHRINE
The inside of the altar...has an outline of a red filled six pointed star.
Just thought I'd share this. I honestly have no idea what Bethesda intended by this. I'm sure it was most likely something overlooked.Theindividual 05:31, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
Carrying the Mace Elicits Comments
Somewhat soon after completing this, I heard a guard or NPC say something about the mace, expressing fear. Maybe, "Don't come near me with that mace," or something like that. I was merely carrying it, not brandished or equipped. I don't remember exactly what was said. If someone else hears it, my impression is that this information is appropriately included as a note on the page. --JRTalk E-mail 01:27, 6 May 2012 (UTC)
- It does get a comment (two, actually), but only a few of the items (and skills) on that list have it mentioned on their pages. I don't think it was ever really brought up as a question. Vely►Talk►Email 01:35, 6 May 2012 (UTC)
- OK. Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a general preference for or against making notes about such on quest pages. I don't really have an opinion either way. (Then why did I mention it in the first place? I don't really know.) --JRTalk E-mail 05:27, 6 May 2012 (UTC)
Serpent's Bluff Redoubt
According to the CS, Serpent's Bluff Redoubt is not a possible location for this quest. One of the requirements for this quest's Dungeon is
LocTypeHold. Which means that the Dungeon can only be a location in the Reach, whereas Serpent's Bluff Redoubt is in Whiterun hold. Furthermore, another requirement is
LocTypeHagravenNest is zero, i.e. the location cannot be a Hagraven Nest, but Serpent's Bluff Redoubt is a Hagraven Nest.
The only evidence for it being a location is one unexplained, anonymous edit -- it's never even been mentioned on this discussion page or the Serpent's Bluff Redoubt discussion page. I'd like more evidence than an editor who might have just been assuming that the quest can happen in any Forsworn camp before throwing out everything we think we know about how the CS assigns dungeons to quests. --NepheleTalk 17:48, 12 May 2012 (UTC)
- I was going by CaptiveMarker in the CS, and it was on the location page. Never occured to double check the Hold. The Silencer has spokenTalk 18:01, 12 May 2012 (UTC)
Unable 2 talk
- You don't have to talk to the innkeeper to get the quest. Vigilant Tyranus should be outside of the house (if it's your first time in Markarth, you may need to leave and re-enter the city for him to appear) and you can simply start it by speaking with him. ABCface◥ 21:13, 26 May 2012 (UTC)
Can't Get Back In
- After i interacted with the shrine i got stuck in the house. I reloaded my auto save, hit the other guy one time and ran out. The rumbling stopped and the priest told my to venture further for my reward. While I was outside! I went back in and there was no sign of the other guys body. After interacting with the shrine this time I was finalky able to escape the house with no rumbling and continue the quest.
Stuck in the house. Key Required.
Ok so I am having a terrible time with this quest. I had just escaped with the forsworn and noticed the guy, and went in to the house with him. Molag never told me anything, I tried to bottom door and the screen got dark, and then the top door and it started rumbling, but was never told anything, so I just attacked the guy and killed him. Easy enough right? NO. Then molag tells me I'm close to my reward, so I go to altar and listen and it says quest updated, but then when I go to leave the house it says it requires a key, so it won't let me fast travel either. All of my autosaves are within the house. My last manual save was before I had done the forsworn ecape the mine quest. Which in honesty is a rather long boring quest, so can anyone get me out of this house or do I have to do both quests again? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 14:13 on 18 July 2012
house of horrors, quest bug
I got the quest and got in, tyranus stopped inthe middle of the first room. He wont move or engage in conversation. I went into the basement and some how triggered stuff to fly around the room. I need a key to go on. HELP! 18.104.22.168 15:43, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
- I just had a similar bug, where he stops in the middle of the room. It seems that killing him will get Molag Bal to talk to you, as if you had already got to the part where he tells you to do it. 22.214.171.124 21:39, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
- I've experienced this bug too, it's pretty frustrating. I'd load previous saves, and get varying amounts of half progress, but I could never leave the abandoned house with the questline intact. My eventual fix was several steps:
- 1) Load a previous save, before you enter the abandoned house
- 2) Talk to vigilant Tyranus (He approached me). Make sure to enter the abandoned house before he does, it made a difference for me.
- 3) Enter the abandoned house. The door should be locked behind you. Vigilant Tyranus will still get stuck in the middle of the room, but at least for me, entering before him, he made a little bit more progress; he would mention the food before getting stuck, rather than just being stuck as soon as I entered.
- 4) Reload your auto save into the abandoned house. You should be alone in the locked house, with no Tyranus.
- 5) Wait at least 1 hour. After waiting, Tyranus enters the abandoned house, and for me the questline continued normally.
- I was really frustrated by this glitch, I had made this brand new character just for Oblivion Walker, and I'd already gotten like half the artifacts before getting stomped by this bug. Hopefully this work around helps anyone? 4 years after release, but don't care (Aug 2015, xbox)
Note about Logrolf's soul - moved from article
The first time you 'kill' Logrolf he can be soul trapped, making Molag Bal's victory, his claiming Logrolf's soul, farcical. The second time you 'kill' him he cannot be soul trapped as he doesn't have one.
- It's noteworthy. It's just not really relevant! Actually I put this in there for the players who are offended by a, the game forcing them to do something and b, doing something morally rather vile. Sniffles 09:21, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
Skyrim:Vigilant Tyranus essential?
Current text indicates he is not:
Depending on your choices during the quest No One Escapes Cidhna Mine, when the prisoners attack the city, Vigilant Tyranus may show up and be killed by the prisoners. This makes the quest impossible to start. You open the console and type
player.additem 233E3 1to get the Mace. You can then enter the Abandoned House using the console command
unlockafter clicking on the closed doors, and you can even speak to and eventually kill Logrolf with the commands
prid 000198F3, then
moveto player, and finally
However, Skyrim:Vigilant Tyranus mentions he is essential, and there was a recent edit to Quest Timing that also indicates (→Quests to Do Immediately: cant be killed, essential).
Do we have a version the bug is fixed?
--DayDreamer 03:28, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
- The cs entry indicates that he is essential and the entry has not been touched by any patches or DLC. By this the "bug entry" is false. SilencerSpeak 04:14, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
When I clicked on the mace to 'recieve my reward', I ended up cowering but no spikes came up to trap me, and no dialogue was triggered. After a while of running back and forth I got frustrated, ended up attacking the alter with a shout (frost breath). It seemed to fix whatever the problem was. I'm not sure what caused this, but I had a follower with me at the time and also didn't enter the house immediately after triggering the quest. No other issues, though. I am not sure if this is a bug or not, just thought that I would share...— Unsigned comment by Essie (talk • contribs) at 00:02 on 29 April 2013
Bug caused thanks to the quest" A night to remeber"
I have entered in Markarath thanks to the quest "A night to remember" for the first time and even if with the help of the console comands i have managed to do the quests "forsworn Conspiracy" and "No one escapes Cidha Mine" i still have problem spawning "Vigilant Tyranus" i Have tryed with "player.placeatme 000a733b" and "setstage DA10 10" but the Vigilant is refusing to talk and the quest wont start , is there any known fix for this issue. — Unsigned comment by Veacktor (talk • contribs) at 18:07 on 3 October 2013
- Use commend "unlock" on the door >> enter Abandoned house >> player.placeatme 000a733b >> talk to Vigilant Tyranus >> exit house >> talk to Vigilant Tyranus >> enter house and use "kill" commend on first copy. Have fun ;) — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 07:43 on 23 April 2016 (UTC)
Molag Bal's Dialogue Choices
The lines of Molag Bal's speech beginning "Revenge? No. I want submission" are preceded by:
You want revenge on Boethiah?
If, instead the player chooses
I never wanted to help you. Let me go!
Then Molag Bal's Response is:
Fine. I offered you a reward. You'll get the freedom your kind enjoys so much. But Boethiah's priest is imprisoned as well. But not by me. He is hurt. Suffering. Save him. Let him perform his rites one more time. And when he does, I will be waiting for him. (Lmstearn (talk) 11:36, 28 October 2013 (GMT))
Subverting Molag Bal's order to kill
If you simply avoid the Vigilant until he gets beaten to death by pots, plates, and swords, Molag Bal acts as though you killed him by your own hands. With a Sneak of 54, I hid behind the table around the corner nearest the front door before Bal finished coercing the Vigilant of Tyranus, and once he stopped looking for me he just stood on the carpet, walking back every time he got knocked away from the center of the room. Not important, but relevant and potentially interesting. (Side note: Dropping bundles of arrows does nothing to hasten his death, as dropped items only move if you or a cursed item knock into them.) JET73L (talk) 06:05, 31 January 2014 (GMT)
When I first encountered Logrof the Willful at Hag Rog Redoubt, he was kneeling beside a dresser. Under it appears to be a letter or piece of paper. Unfortunately, the letter is unreachable, as the marker for "dresser" dominates the area. I tried using Unrelenting Force, but it did not work. — Unsigned comment by AsynjaDunn (talk • contribs) at 19:51 on 28 June 2014
Possible Bug Workaround
I encountered the house of horrors bug (on XBox Version), when I entered the house the vigilant did not run down stairs and trigger the event. I was left with a shaking house (and world) and stuck there.
So, being a member of the dark brotherhood, I went back to lair and recruited a follower. made them attack the vigilant while I legged it out the door. viola. I did not got back for the 'reward', I just considered myself lucky to have escaped a lifetime of shaky Skyrim.
Molag Bal resurrects Logrolf if he dies
While pounding Logrolf into submission, he refused to submit altogether and died. Molag Bal commented "Ahahahaha! You mortals and your frail bodies. Continue!" or something like that, and resurrected the priest for another round, after which he did submit. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 09:17 on 12 June 2015
- This is already mentioned in the article: You will have to repeatedly beat the defenseless priest as he quivers, and ultimately kill him. Once he is dead, Molag Bal will revive him, ready for yet another beating. --Vordur Steel-Hammer (TINV1K) 12:04, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
I discovered that once you have entered the house with Tyranus and he starts to walk away from the entrance door, you can kill him right there and bypass much of the initial scene, the quest will skip to where the door is unlocked and Molag Bal invites you to come on down. I don't know if anyone feels this is worth adding to the page, but I've done it several times, now, it does work. 184.108.40.206 10:21, 10 August 2015 (UTC)
a few years back with one character I managed to keep the rusted mace and the mace of molag bal. I cant remember how though. ive tried again but I cant drop it (essential item) I cant give it to a follower (essential item) I cant drop it and give it to a follower (essential item) I cant put it in a chest (essential item) ect ect. do any of you guys know how to keep it? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 13:42 on 1 February 2019
Beat and Heal
Logrolf Will Move to The Warrens
If, at stage 100, after you beat Logrolf (once) to death and Molag Bal revives him, you then use the console command setstage DA10 140, skipping stage 130, you effectively thwart Molag Bal by allowing Logrolf to live and depriving Molag Bal of the soul he thinks he will be enjoying as a snack. Logrolf remains immobile with no dialog options while you remain. As you leave the Abandoned House, however, you will observe Logrolf also leaving, and if you follow him he marches straight to The Warrens and tries to enter Degaine's now-empty room. He may get stuck at the door, and if you open it for him he may get trapped behind it, unable to pathfind his way around the now-open door. If you can force him from behind the door, he will enter Degaine's room halfway and then just stop and stand there. VulcanTourist (talk) 17:36, 1 August 2020 (UTC)
Tyranus stands outside the house forever after accepting quest
At some point I visited Markarth before and ignored him. I have no idea how far back that save is, honestly. The problem is that when I accept the quest he just stands there for eternity and never goes inside, even if I go inside before him. If I go in, use player.placeatme, he just says "eyes open" and sits down in a chair or something. Trying to use commands to complete objectives doesn't work.
- EDIT: It was a mod lmao. "Magical Markarth." All I had to do was uninstall and the quest worked normally. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 14:09 on 25 August 2021
If you beat Logrolf until he becomes hostile (red dot), it will count as Assault in your statistics (crime). 3 times Molag Bal asks you to beat him, will get you 3 Assault count. To avoid having the assault count, just 1-hit beat/kill him each time before he can become hostile. Then it will not be considered assault. If you cannot use the rusty mace to 1-hit beat/kill him, just change to other more powerful weapon. Use power attack to 1-hit kill him. 22.214.171.124 05:25, 17 September 2021 (UTC)