|Home Settlement||The Gray Mire|
Scars Never Fade
After you not-so-friendly approach of waking him with a bucket of cold water, he'll sputter confusedly: "What, what's going on? I'm up, I'm awake!" Talk to him.
- "I was dreaming of speckled fish. Now I'm hungry and wet. Explain yourself."
- I need to ask you a few questions.
- "Despite what you may have heard, a bucket of water to the face isn't a traditional Argonian greeting. But I'm not one to stand on ceremony. What's on your mind?"
- What do you think of the Dominion?
- "As long as I can raise my guar and sleep in the shade, I don't care who rules this land. We want to live in peace, as a free people. If the Dominion supports us, then I support the Dominion."
- What if they don't support you?
- "I'd find somewhere else to sleep in the shade. Some of the rough skins in this village might not see it the same way. I wouldn't go throwing buckets of water on them. You might lose a finger."
- I'll keep that in mind.
- "The meeting! I nearly slept through it. Uta-Tei wants to discuss the grumbling about the barricades. You should come, see how we govern ourselves."
- Why are you called No-Fingers?
- "I've roamed from one end of Tamriel to the other, handling vicious beasts along the way. In all that time, I've never lost a finger. But the moment I call myself "Lost-No-Fingers," a guar will tear off my arm."
- What is your role in this tribe?
- "When my tribe left the Black Marsh, we brought along our native wildlife. None wanted the job so I took charge. I prefer beasts to people. More pragmatic, less complicated, and you always know when one plans to eat you."
- How does that make you a leader?
- "It doesn't. But when you're the one who keeps the wamasu calm, nobody gets on your bad side. Ha! I had you. The tribe sees one who remains calm in the face of danger, and with this comes respect. Simple as that."
Attend the meeting and witness Uta-Tei's murder.
- Uta-Tei: "Thank you for coming, all of you. We have all heard the grumblings. But if this is to be our home, we must end this talk of defying the Dominion."
- Slim-Jah: "You tail-lifting fool! Do we ignore the slave pen they built around us? This Wood Elf god you follow corrupts your mind!"
- Uta-Tei: "Y'ffre can give us hatchlings, Slim-Jah. Peace with the Dominion is our only chance of survival."
- Slim-Jah: "While you whisper to trees, the Dominion measures our wrists for manacles! I cannot allow this!"
- No-Fingers: "Slim-Jah, what are you saying?"
- Slim-Jah: "Uta-Tei, you turn our people away from the Hist. I sanction you for your heresy!" (She kills her.)
- No-Fingers: "Slim-Jah, no!"
- Slim-Jah: "Hail Sithis!"
No-Fingers is, of course, shaken. "I knew of Slim-Jah's anger, but to murder Uta-Tei? Madness."
- Why would Slim-Jah do this?
- "Didn't you hear her? She leapt crest-first from the cliffs of madness. The anger has burned a hole through her good sense. Killing Uta-Tei must be part of a larger plan."
- ,What do you mean?
- "Slim-Jah was once a Shadowscale, a holy assassin feared throughout Black Marsh. To sanction Uta-Tei as she did was a signal. Her hunters will lie in wait for whatever comes next. They'll fight to the death, so we need to fight harder."
- You want me to help kill Slim-Jah's hunters?
- "If one Dominion soldier dies at the hands of these fools, my entire tribe will pay for it. So yes, we need to kill them, if it isn't too much trouble. But have no fear. Comes-When-Called can help you track them down."
- Who is Comes-When-Called?
- "The tiny guar sniffing at your ankle. Don't worry, it means he likes you. Sweep the beach camps for Slim-Jah's hunters. I'll round up a few trusted friends and check the forest camps. We'll meet at the old sea cave west of the Gray Mire."
- All right. I'll meet you there.
- "We should hurry. If any of Slim-Jah's hunters attack Dominion soldiers, my tribe is doomed."
- How can Comes-When-Called help me find Slim-Jah's hunters?
- "I trained the little one to work with the hunters. He's quite familiar with their scent. If they're around, he'll be happy to lead you to them. The hunters? Less happy."
Do the job and fight the hostile Gray Mire Hunters. Return to No-Fingers.
- "You're still breathing. Good! Breathing is good. Slim-Jah is deeper in the sea cave. She's trying to gain control of Mother Lightning. If she manages this, the Dominion soldiers won't stand a chance."
- What is Mother Lightning?
- "The giant lizards with lightning in their teeth are wamasu. Mother Lightning laid their eggs and nurtured them to hatching. Everything about her is twice their size. It pains me to say, but you'll need to put her down when you kill Slim-Jah."
- Why do you want me to do this?
- "I was once a Shadowscale, just like Slim-Jah. For me to kill her without sanction would be true heresy. I've lived my life without angering the Night Mother, and I'd rather not start now. But my friend Eager-Teeth has no such restriction."
- Is Eager-Teeth a guar?
- "Yes, the one chewing on that hunter's spine. She's a fiesty [sic] one! I'll return to the village and chase away the wamasu. If they sense Mother Lightning is in danger, they might stampede through the Gray Mire."
- All right. I'll take care of Slim-Jah and Mother Lightning.
- "Good luck, friend. But with Eager-Teeth by your side, you shouldn't have much trouble."
- What is a Shadowscale?
- "Argonians born under the sign of the Shadow are special. Some are taken at birth and trained as assassins. We follow the god Sithis, and through his consort-wife we receive sanctioned kills. I shouldn't say "we." That life is long behind me."
- Why did you leave?
- "Slim-Jah and I first came to this tribe as liberators. But for every Argonian we freed, the Dark Elves tortured ten. I refused to cause more pain for my people. When the tribe was exiled, I remained as a protector. But I was too slow to protect Uta-Tei."
Defeat Slim-Jah and Mother Lightning.
- "You're back! You stopped Slim-Jah, then? Oh, no. Eager-Teeth didn't survive, did she?"
- She didn't survive the battle.
- "I see. You'll be missed, Eager-Teeth. But this is no time to mourn. Officer Parwinel grows impatient with our tribe. Perhaps if you were to calm the waters, she would leave us be?"
- Why do you want me to speak for your tribe?
- "None of the others will speak with her. They fear she'll find out about the fighting, so they cling to silence and hope I make it all go away. But I'm a terrible liar! There's no way I could disguise Uta-Tei and Slim-Jah's absence."
- You want me to lie about what happened?
- "I don't want the tribe forced out of its home. These people ... my people ... they found hope in the Gray Mire. I don't want it wrenched away from them due to Slim-Jah's foolish actions. If I may ask, what will you tell her?"
- I'll do what I think is right.
- "As you should. I just hope what you think is right is what's best for my tribe."
If you let the tribe stay, he'll say after finishing the quest, "The tribe will live and flourish in the Gray Mire. Be proud, you've given our people hope."