Lanarie is an Altmer who can be found in Shimmerene on the Summerset Isle. She asks you to help find her son, Arathel. You can find her at the shrine overlook across from the entrance to Kinlady Avinisse's Mansion. She'll also be in Mother's Den in the Shimmerene Waterworks at a certain point in her quest.
- A Tale of Two Mothers: Uncover a plot hatching in the Shimmerene underground.
A Tale of Two Mothers
Talking to Lanarie for the first time to start the related quest:
- "An adventurer? Praise you, Mara, for hearing my prayers!
Please, newcomer—I'm in desperate need for help. My son, Arathel, has gone missing. No one will tell me what happened to him!"
- Slow down. Tell me what happened.
- "Yes, I'm sorry.
The last time I saw him, he was agitated. Scared. I asked him what was wrong, but he left without a word. The guards arrived later. They said he turned himself in—that he was involved in a plot to kill our Sapiarch, Aicantar."
- You say he turned himself in. He's not in his cell?
- "No. He vanished! They say he escaped. Can you believe it? Why would he turn himself in only to escape a few hours later? They're hiding something, I know it!
Please, ceruval, help me find my boy. He would never hurt anyone, I swear it!"
- All right. I'll look for your son.
- "You have a perfect heart, newcomer. None of my neighbors would lift a finger to help me!
The guards placed Arathel in a cell beneath the kinlady's manor. I'm told the Justiciar of Remand is there now—a Mer named Talerion. He must know something."
- Would your son have any reason to kill this Sapiarch, Aicantar?
- "No! Aicantar treats us like family. Arathel is Aicantar's apprentice, you see? He was so proud when the attestation came through.
He has been a bit withdrawn though. I found some aprax literature in his room, but it's just a phase. Right?"
- "Right. You're new to the Isle. I apologize.
Apraxic Mer are people who, for whatever reason, were expelled from the greater Elven community. Most aprax labor for years to reenter society. Others choose to remain in exile. I feel very sorry for them."
- And these aprax Elves do a lot of writing?
- "Some do, yes. Treatises on class warfare, religious hypocrisy, that sort of thing. A lot of young Mer take a liking to it. I think it's healthy to push back a bit—not too much, of course, but a bit."
- Are there any aprax Elves in Shimmerene?
- "Rumor has it that a famous aprax called the Mother of Rats lives in the city, but I've never met her. Even if I did, we're forbidden from speaking with her.
That sounds awful, doesn't it? It's just the way things are here, I'm afraid."
Upon reunion with her son, she'll speak both to you and Arathel:
- Lanarie: "Thank you so much for finding Arathel. Bless you!"
- Arathel: "I think I might want to be an adventurer too!"
- Lanarie: "No. You've had quite enough adventure for one lifetime."
Speaking to her after the quest, she'll thank you:
- "Once again, you have my deepest thanks, ceruval. I don't know what I would have done if they'd taken my boy."