The UESPWiki – Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995
< Mod / Morrowind: Morrowind Mod
This article is about creating mods. For information about using mods, see Modification.
- Acronyms — Common mod and mod tool acronyms
- BSA File Format — The media archive file (bsa) format used for Morrowind
- Cleaning Mods — Explanation of the different levels of 'clean'
- Mod File Format — The record-based format used in Morrowind data (esp, esm) files. Currently incomplete. See links on the page below for other sources.
- Resolving Mod Conflicts — Types of mod conflicts and how to avoid, repair, and reconcile them
- Runtime — What happens when Morrowind starts up, saves, and loads files
- Tool Features — Commonly used tool features
- World Map — The world (zoomed out) map. Problems with it and some solutions to them.
- Form Change — Change the player into an animal or another person
- Formatted MessageBoxes — Arrange the text put into a MessageBox
- GMST Contamination — What it is and how to avoid and/or repair it
- Id Standards — Standards for picking ids for globals, objects, factions, journal topics, etc.
- Licensing — How to license your mod
- Math Functions — Modulo, trig functions, etc.
- References — How references are defined and what can go wrong with them
- Text Defines — Text variables used in dialogue and message boxes
- ToggleMenus and HUD workarounds — Dealing with HUD problems after using ToggleMenus
|TES Construction Set||Modders||This is still the primary utility for creating TES mods. However, other tools supersede and/or augment it for some functions.|
Looking for a quick-fix tool that won't require hours of reading to ensure you don't break everything and have to do a re-install?
- This table contains a list of tools meant to help the player without having to acquire a modder's understanding to use them.
|Tools for Players||Focus||Description|
|Exe Patches||Players||These patches improve the in-game experience by fixing different aspects of the Morrowind.exe file.|
|Co-Executables||Players||Utilities that enhance gameplay by interacting with Morrowind.exe as it runs. FPS Optimizer, MWE, MGE, MGE XE, MWSE.|
|INI Switcher||Players||Manage profiles on the same computer by switching between different versions of the Morrowind.ini file.|
|Savegame Editor||Players||Edit various properties of the savegame file (.ess).|
|Load Order Management||Players||
|Wrye Mash FAQ||Players||Wrye Mash has an extensive suite of features associated with mod and savegame management, editing and repair.|
|Ordenador||Players||Its main feature is the ability to scan a directory for bookart, icons, and textures to recompress utilizing NVCompress (links available at download site).|
To combine mods in order to make Morrowind as graphically appealing as Oblivion requires a lot of time, effort and research. This is a list of tools used by modders and advanced players.
- Most TES3 modders and players use multiple tools with overlapping functions. There is no one 'Quick-Fix' tool.
- For help interpreting the plugin data, see Mod File Format.
|Tools for Modders||Focus||Description|
|BSA Managers||Modders, Advanced Players||Browse, pack and unpack Morrowind archive files (.bsa).|
|Mod Cleaning and Reconciliation||Modders, Advanced Players||
Utilities that edit mods in various ways.
|Modders, Advanced Players||
Utilities that integrate esps with their dependent files, or modify that integration in some global way.
|Modders, Advanced Players|
Tools used by modders for the creation and editing of resources for the game--everything except for the plugin file itself.
|NIBLE FAQ||Modellers||Allows adding and editing of certain blocks to NIF-Files.|
|NifSkope||Modellers||Lets you view and edit .nif files (3D meshes), assign new textures, etc.|
|NifTexture||Modellers, Modders||Reassign mesh paths for Morrowind .nif files.|
|NIF Texture Stripper||Modellers, Modders||Command line tool to shorten mesh paths.|
|Morrowind Blender Plugin||Modellers, Modders||Plugin for Blender 2.82|
|ESParser||Modders||Automate some common dialogue-related tasks, such as spellchecking and NPC lists making.|
|BookGen||Modders||Simplifies the task of introducing new text into in-game documents.|
- This is a list of tools whose utility is surpassed by others.
||Players||Use Wrye Mash instead.|