Lore talk:Bestiary A
Query to someone who's played Redguard?
I've never played Redguard, but should "Attrebus" be in the Bestiary? It seems like this is the name of an NPC. --Actreal 16:19, 29 September 2006 (EDT)
- As far as I know he was a named guard? Jadrax 12:38, 16 February 2007 (EST)
- It sounds like "Attrebus" doesn't belong on two counts: (a) it is a name rather than a species or race, and (b) he's a NPC, not a creature. If we were to start adding NPCs, I'd say it should be limited to classes of NPCs (bandit, marauder, necromancer), but at the moment it looks like this is purely a bestiary so humans/mer shouldn't be included at all. And even for creatures, I wouldn't see any reason to start adding creature names here (e.g., Anaxes and Medrike are named Xivilai; there are tons of named dogs; none of which need to be individually listed here). --Nephele 12:56, 16 February 2007 (EST)
Are there any kind of standards that have been followed in adding creatures to these lists? Some thoughts:
- There seem to be some special creatures listed (e.g. Painted Troll, Savage Goblin, Shock Centurion) but many special creatures not listed (e.g. West Weald Bear, Rumare Slaughterfish, etc.).
- As mentioned before, Attrebus probably shouldn't be here, but he was never removed.
- What about a creature that is little or nothing more than and upgraded version of another creature (e.g. Minotaur Lord or Wolf)?
- How about listings for the same creature with different names in different games (e.g. Fire/Flame Atronach or Robot/Centurion Sphere)?
- How should general/specific entries be listed? I like the way it is right now (see Atronach and Bear), but does anyone else have other ideas?
- The Nocturnal entry seems out of place. I've only played Morrowind and Oblivion, so the idea of anything in the game that you not able to fight seems strange to me. Perhaps someone who has played that game should judge whether it belongs in a list containing fightable creatures.
My gut is telling me to just take over and decide for myself, but my brain is telling me to let people who have worked on the site and played the games longer than I have decide and/or give input. Vontos 22:03, 24 July 2007 (EDT)
- I'm not aware of any definite standards on these pages so FWIW my answers would be:
- Add them all with links to the standard types.
- Should definitely go.
- Add those too. Yes it's just an upgraded version but it's different enough that the game gives it a different name (compared to, say, ogres - which level up with you but keep the same name).
- I'd say pick one name, put the text in that one and mention the other names. Then link from the others.
- I like that way of doing it too.
- I dunno about that one. I've never played the game either.
- In other words, I think we agree almost totally. I'd go with your gut on this one to be honest! --RpehTalk 06:39, 25 July 2007 (EDT)
- All right, if anyone doesn't like what I do, they can revert. Vontos 19:32, 25 July 2007 (EDT)
Ash Vampire entry?
In the Ash Vampire entry, it says that they take the form of Ascended Sleepers, but I'd say they look more like Dagoth Ur himself.Does anyone agree? Can I change it? Darth Cronus 17:31, 27 October 2007 (EDT)
The Ancient Vampire appears to be incorrectly named. On the Daggerfall:Monsters page, there is no Ancient Vampire, but there is a Vampire Ancient. Which one is correct? Tranum 19:51, 18 October 2008 (EDT)
- A quick glance through the game files finds both - one of "Ancient Vampire" and four of "Vampire Ancient". We'll need to wait for someone to check in-game. I've marked this as a good question for now. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 02:40, 19 October 2008 (EDT)
- One more to go, I notice that one of the varieties of vampire in skyrim is also called ancient vampire, should we do anything about that? (Vvardfell (talk) 04:36, 6 December 2012 (GMT))
In the article, it states that you can find Ancient Vampires in Morrowind. I have never seen an ancient vaampire, except maybe this one, and he's not even an ancient vampire per se, just a vampire who happens to be quite old. Perhaps this needs to be removed. Proudly Ashborn- [verify] 02:42, 28 February 2010 (UTC)
- No 'Ancient Vampire's or 'Vampire Ancient's are present in the CS, so I've removed it. --SerCenKing Talk 18:32, 3 March 2010 (UTC)