Daggerfall:The Emperor's Gift
- Talk to a noble.
- Travel to the town where the noble pawned the ring.
- Visit the specified pawn shop during its open hours.
- Purchase the ring with the noble's gold.
- Return the ring to the noble within the time limit for your reward.
- "I'm in rather a delicate situation, (player's first name). If I could count on your diligence and your silence, you could earn yourself, say, (random gold) gold pieces profiting on my misery. Sound enticing?"
The noble goes on:
- "Well, that's good anyway. Not long ago, during a time of financial stagnancy, I pawned a ring given to me by the Emperor himself. I figured that Uriel Septim never makes it down to this corner of the Empire, but now I hear his agents are in the area, and I must have to have that ring back. (Pawnbroker's name), of (pawn shop) in (town), will only hold it for (time limit) more days. Here's the gold to pay for the ring. Good luck and (random god) speed your journey."
The noble answers:
- "(Oath), blast, and (oath)! I'm surrounded by apathetic lazybones! Nothing personal, (player's first name)."
Getting the Ring Out of Hock
The noble gives you a piece of gold to buy back the ring. Travel to the specified town and visit the pawn shop during its open hours. Find the target in the shop, speak to them and exchange the gold for the ring. The pawnbroker will say:
- "You must be (player's first name). You're lucky you made it when you did. I was about to sell the ring to a very eager third party. Well, if I understand correctly and (noble's name) wants the ring before the Imperial statesmen arrive, you better be on your way. You only have a very little time."
With the ring in your possession, head back to the noble. On your way back you may be accosted by some knights who want to take the ring from you. Attack, a knight and be told:
- "Give me the ring. This can go easy or hard. It's really up to you. Either way, we get the ring."
Kill the knights; returning without the ring means you fail the quest, and this will cost you an extreme amount of reputation. Also, if you surrender the ring the knight goes on to say:
- "Fool. Now you will die. Did you really think we would let a witness live?"
Once you are able, return to the noble right away.
When you return the ring, the noble will thank you by saying:
- "Oh good, oh good, the ring. Oh thank you, thank you, (player's first name). Here's the (random gold) gold pieces I promised. An expensive delivery, but truly worth every piece."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Noble you got the quest from||+5|
|Noble's associated factions||+2|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
- 3x Two Knights every five in-game minutes (35% chance) once you have the ring
- If you keep the ring, it will remain in your inventory and won't vanish once the quest is over, unlike most quest items.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The Emperor's men don't make a big production when they come to town, I hear."
- "They're not very flashy; the Emperor's men could be here even as we speak."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I hear (noble's name) did not have a very pleasant meeting with the Imperials."
- "For some reason, (noble's name) is out of favor with the Emperor."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Noble's name) entertained the Imperial statesmen in great style, I understand."
- "The Imperial statesmen were apparently very satisfied with their visit."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Ah, hello, ring bearer. What can I do for you?"
- "You helped keep me in good standing with the Empire. Now, what I can do for you?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "The Imperial emissaries didn't notice the ring was gone, thank (random god). Still, you are not one of my favorite people right now, (player's first name)."
|The Emperor's Gift (r0c11y19)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (noble's name) of (noble's town) has sent me to (town) to (pawn shop) where (contact's name) is holding a ring (noble's name) pawned. I need to pay for the ring with the gold (noble's name) gave me, and then get back to (palace). All in less than (time limit) days.|