- Talk to the Guildmagister at a Mages Guild hall.
- Travel to the dungeon mentioned by the Guildmagister.
- Find the atronach within and kill it.
- Return to the Guildmagister within the time limit and collect your reward.
Speak to a Guildmagister, who says:
- "Rather , but one of our experiments has prematurely evacuated our laboratory. Even worse, it left before it was fed so it's doubtless going to be ill-tempered. Thankfully, it is a disposable creature, a common atronach. On the other hand, we certainly do not need our reputation sullied by a maddened atronach's rampage. If you'd be willing to track the sad beast down and put it out of its, and our, misery, we could offer you, say, (random gold) gold in return. Interested?"
- "Actually, we have had a bit of excitement in this dull old place lately. In a rather routine atronachy class, one of the subjects managed to ... well, the details are not important. What is, is that there's an atronach on the loose in (region) that can easily be traced back to this Guild and our maladministration. You're the type who could end this affair with the minimum of , yes?"
The Guildmagister goes on:
- "You will? (Oath), what a relief. The miserable creature has apparently taken up residence in a nasty little hole they call (dungeon). For our reputation's sake, it is essential that this be done quickly and quietly, so if you're not able to dispatch the atronach in (time limit) days, don't bother coming back for your reward. Good day."
The Guildmagister answers:
- "A pity indeed. Well, I suppose some other fervent adventurer will aid us."
Tracking Down the Atronach
This quest is a standard dungeon crawl. Travel to the dungeon mentioned by the Guildmagister and find the atronach within. The atronach may be any of the four types, and there may be other atronachs in the dungeon as well depending on the location and your level. However, there will always be one specific creature that is your target. When killed, this atronach will say:
- "I would rather die than go back to the Mages Guild laboratory." The life fades from the atronach's eyes.
With the creature dead, return to the Mages Guild.
Upon your return after slaying the atronach, the Guildmagister will say:
- "The hunter returns! You have saved us some considerable with your precipitate amelioration of our atronach crisis. A first-rate job, all around. Accept your gold and my gratitude."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: Any of the four Atronach types
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I hear something escaped from the Mages Guild lab the other night."
- "(Oath), I saw a shape skulking in the shadows right about then."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Well, there's a minor scandal involving the Mages Guild's lab security."
- "The Mages Guild lost another experiment apparently."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I hear they found out that atronach was made with the soul of (ruler's title)'s brother!"
- "A lot of people feel safer knowing that atronach is dead."
- "Everybody's talking about that atronach that (player's race) hunted down?"
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "I haven't forgotten about the atronach crisis, if that's what's concerning you."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "I sent you to stop that atronach and you failed. No excuses, (player's first name). Just leave me to my melancholia."
|Atronach Hunting (n0b10y01)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): The Mages Guild of (town) has hired me to find an atronach that escaped from their laboratory. It has laired in (dungeon). I need to have the creature dead and be back in (town) in (time limit) days.|